•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do people like their Nexdome?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sydney

sydney

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:02 PM

Hi,

I have an Exploradome which I like and it has served me well for many years. The problem is that I use it primarily for imaging and therefore do not visually observe as often as I would like. I’m back to setting up and tearing down every night under unreliable weather forecasts. So, I’ve been looking to add a second building for visual use.

I’ve seen the Nexdome at NEAF and have read some reviews. It will be used on my property and not be automated.

I’d appreciate feedback from people on quality, reliability, and customer support.

Thanks!

#2 TMO

TMO

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Taylor Mountain Observatory

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:39 PM

I've used my Nexdome for 2 years.  I have had no problems with it.   I can manually open and close the dome slit and rotate the dome easily without any trouble.  There are no rain leaks.  The only slight issue is that the friction of the dome slit requires a good "tug" to close it, while standing on a short ladder.   In my view, Nexdome is a fantastic product for a low price.

#3 PeteM

PeteM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Michigan

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:25 PM

I have had my NexDome since December with the full automation kit and I really have enjoyed having it. I have imaged more than I ever have and sleep pretty good knowing the dome will be closed up when I awake or if clouds show up. Yeah there are quirks with it and it does require a little effort, but I was expecting that for the price and would purchase it again in an instant.

• Omeganon likes this

#4 Omeganon

Omeganon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Joelton, TN

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:06 PM

I have had my NexDome since December with the full automation kit and I really have enjoyed having it. I have imaged more than I ever have and sleep pretty good knowing the dome will be closed up when I awake or if clouds show up. Yeah there are quirks with it and it does require a little effort, but I was expecting that for the price and would purchase it again in an instant.

Ditto here. Really just got mine completed in the last month with full automation and feel like I have everything in a good place now. 

#5 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Middle of No Where, Wy

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:46 PM

Mine's still sitting in Canadabawling.gif

#6 Jocelyn Dorval

Jocelyn Dorval

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 October 2021 - 06:26 PM

Good evening,

I have had a Nexdome dome for 3 years and if I had to redo it, I would never buy a Nexdome again. I have the automation kit and no way to install this. Bad service and poor machining quality of the parts. For me, it's finishing Nexdome, I'm starting the process to replace my Nexdome with a Pulsar dome.

#7 BKMaynard

BKMaynard

Messenger

• Loc: Maryville, Il. (st.louis area)

Posted 08 October 2021 - 04:31 PM

I love mine. I've had a couple of start up issues but they were worked out. Automation works great and I love it when friends see it operate on its own.

#8 xthestreams

xthestreams

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:25 AM

I’d agree with the general tone here.

‘I’ve had mine a year. In Australia they’re not cheap, around half the price of a decent compact car including automation,  and so expectations were pretty high.

instead what you get are a bunch of (almost but not quite the correct number of) parts and assembly instructions that make IKEA look like easy.

the panels generally almost but don’t quite fit together, requiring careful drilling of larger/additional holes (care so as not to create leaks) - so make sure yiu own a power drill

it’s around now you find out that you’ll need to buy a Dremmel type tool to cut a rectangular hole for the door bolt to slide into - also not something you find out until you’ve finished assembling  it

the automation kit barely meets the criteria for a kit (in my case I had to buy my own battery for the shutter, another expense!), including an undocumented “feature” of a grub screw required to ensure the shutter gear teeth mate with the ersatz chain strip that is used to crawl the motor during opening and closing (a few hours of panic there thinking I had a dud unit)

wrap it all up with a dome mechanism that bucks and clunks as it rotates (in a non confidence inspiring way) and you might find yourself wondering if it’s worth the money

then, you do your first automated overnight  imaging run, fall asleep and wake up to find it’s rained and your dome (when fitted with the RG11 rain sensor, also a bit of a DIY job) has closed itself and your gear is safe and you didn’t need to wake up!

It’s just great! But IMO you need to be pretty handy or know someone who is 

p.s. in the early days of ownership, due to the very poor conductivity of the metal braid that connects the dangling magnets to the battery charger (yes you read correctly), it wasn’t charging my batty properly and I woke up to find my scope open in the rain, 

I fixed this by replacing the braid wtih short copper insulted auto power cable, none of which inspired confidence until I finally fettled it.

Edited by xthestreams, 11 October 2021 - 07:26 AM.

• nathmath likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics