•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best 6-7mm under $60

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DropsOfJupiter

DropsOfJupiter

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:08 AM

What is the best 6-7mm ep with at least 50-degree fov under ~$60 ? There are quite a few options when I search but I can't tell which one's are good v/s great.

For example, Celestron Omni, E-lux, Orion Expanse, Meade 4000 , Vixen NPL, and ofcourse gso. House brands like Astrotech, Agena, Opt, High Point, etc...

It will be used on a Celestron 102 slt F6.5 refractor, mirror diag, and sometimes with a Celestron omni 2x barlow.

What do you recommend ?

#2 Dobs O Fun

Dobs O Fun

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:18 AM

Under $60? I just purchased not too long ago a Svbony 6mm 68° red line for $35.

Compared to the Celestron XCel LX 5mm 60° it's very close. I dont have a lot of comparison time yet.

Jupiter and Saturn look the same against each other. The moon I can't tell yet, have not the opportunity.

For the money I'm surprised how well it does.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210821_124310.jpg

Edited by Dobs O Fun, 15 September 2021 - 01:22 AM.

• DropsOfJupiter likes this

#3 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:33 AM

If you mean under ~$60 NEW they are all just OK, no "great" option at this price point, IMO. Plossls have very short eye relief, but provide good quality of views. Many like "66° Red Line", a rebranded Orion Expanse/Agena EWA/SVbony. The only exception that qualifies as "great" (for the money) would be a USED 7mm Celestron X-Cel LX/6.5mmMeade HD-60. The same excellent optics, 6.5mm focal length (not 7mm), 60° AFOV. You can post a wanted ad in CN Classifieds. They used to sell for ~$60.  Otherwise, the 6mm "Red Line" or TMB Planetary/BST UWA Planetary matching your criteria, but the latter would be hit or miss and if you get lucky you can get a good one. Also think about a zoom, e.g. like SVbony 7-21mm, quite good. I've measured its effective FOV at 7mm and it is 55°, that is wider than Plossl with better eye relief. But at this price point you always need to be careful and check how it works on receival and exchange promptly if it shows some dirt inside or stiff rotation etc.

Edited by CeleNoptic, 15 September 2021 - 02:39 AM.

• skyjim, FredSoDak and DropsOfJupiter like this

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:58 AM

I second the above recommendation for a Meade 6.5mm HD-60!!!  Find one used (there are lots out there, but few wish to sell) by posting a 'Wanted' listing.  A truly Superb Eyepiece, at ANY price!

• SteveG, skyjim, CeleNoptic and 2 others like this

#5 skyjim

skyjim

Vanguard

• Loc: North Port, Florida

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:45 AM

If you can find them the Meade HD-60 6.5mm is like a poor many TV Radian EP, I have one in my case and its not going anywhere, its not a 82 degree job but the 60 degree is just fine for most plus its hard to find any defaults in its FOV. Meade should try and come out with this line again or at least the 12mm and under and the 25mm as well something happened with there 18mm one cause at one time I had the whole set except for the 9mm which I now am looking for.

The Celestron E Cel LX are the same optics but the fit and finish are no were near as good as the HD-60's were, they just are not an appealing styled package but they are still available. 

As for new I would look at the Agena BST Planetary EP's, a good close second to the HD-60's or the E Cel LX but in that $60 range its really hard new, better finds on the used market.

• CeleNoptic, FredSoDak and DropsOfJupiter like this

#6 Frenchy

Frenchy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Battle Ground, WA

Posted 15 September 2021 - 09:29 AM

The bst 58 deg uwa planetary eyepieces are of good value imo. I had a handful of them when I first started out and was pleased with all of the for the money. There are 2 6mm's in stock at agena.

https://agenaastro.c...epiece-6mm.html

• Dave Mitsky, CeleNoptic, FredSoDak and 1 other like this

#7 vtornado

vtornado

Skylab

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 15 September 2021 - 09:38 AM

TMB planetary clones are ok.  Astromania branded seem to be the best clone I have found.

Paradigm dual ed are good eyepieces but they only come in 5 and 8.

you may be able to find a BCO 6mm for $60 used.

used televue plossl 8 mm is very good.  

6-7mm barlowed will be too much power most nights on most objects.

You could consider a 10-12 which will be more versatile with a barlow.

• DropsOfJupiter likes this

#8 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:22 PM

FYI, the Astro-Tech Paradigms and Agena Starguiders now cost $65.

https://www.astronom...iece_series=478

https://agenaastro.c...piece-25mm.html

• CeleNoptic and DropsOfJupiter like this

#9 DeWynter

DeWynter

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Posted 16 September 2021 - 05:19 AM

6mm and 7mm TMB Planetary II from eBay/Aliexpress for sure. Or Svbony 6mm 66 or 68 degrees from the same place. But I would prefer TMB.

• FredSoDak likes this

#10 DropsOfJupiter

DropsOfJupiter

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:18 AM

I was searching for TMB Planetary II and found them mostly on Ebay. Some are listed as 5 element in 3 groups and some as 6 element in 4 groups. confused1.gif  Which is the right one ? 

#11 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:01 AM

I was searching for TMB Planetary II and found them mostly on Ebay. Some are listed as 5 element in 3 groups and some as 6 element in 4 groups. confused1.gif  Which is the right one ? 

No big deal..

Often, eyepieces with longer focal lengths 

need more elements to achieve the same field width and quality

as eyepieces of short focal lengths.   It is a more difficult job.

They are just trying to have the same performance at different focal lengths.

#12 Bkoh

Bkoh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:49 AM

From my reading of old threads about the TMB clones, all that were taken apart were 5/3, no 6/4 were ever reported. Anyway, what matters is the optical performance.

• CeleNoptic and DeWynter like this

#13 DeWynter

DeWynter

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:00 PM

From my reading of old threads about the TMB clones, all that were taken apart were 5/3, no 6/4 were ever reported. Anyway, what matters is the optical performance.

Correct. They all 5/3 - 2 glued elements as the barlow and then 2+1 (König / reversed Kellner).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics