•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New PS plug-in for removing stars, StarXTerminator

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#76 rcroman

rcroman

GradientXTerminator and StarShrink Author

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:19 PM

Interesting. Did you try running with a batch size greater than 1?

#77 AarondeVries

AarondeVries

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:30 PM

No, I didn't (no instruction to do that smirk.gif )

But at your suggestion I tried PS with a batch size of 2  and 4. GPU Utilization 75%. Process terminates in 9 seconds (good news), after which PS hangs itself (without showing the result).shocked.gif

Strangely enough, in Affinity Photo, the GPU utilization is about 70%; The process finishes in 13 seconds and gives a fine result.

Edited by AarondeVries, 19 September 2021 - 02:36 PM.

• rcroman likes this

#78 crackout

crackout

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Augsburg, Germany

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:35 PM

I started on that last night... should be fairly straightforward. Even better, I think it may be possible to train a variant of the neural net to handle linear images natively rather than having to stretch -> remove stars -> unstretch. smile.gif

That‘s great news!

#79 rcroman

rcroman

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 19 September 2021 - 03:08 PM

... tried PS with a batch size of 2  and 4. GPU Utilization 75%. Process terminates in 9 seconds (good news), after which PS hangs itself (without showing the result).shocked.gif

Strangely enough, in Affinity Photo, the GPU utilization is about 70%; The process finishes in 13 seconds and gives a fine result.

Thanks for checking... good to know the Microsoft libraries can indeed be made to use the GPU. I'll suss this out fully when I get my pc in a couple of weeks.

• AarondeVries likes this

#80 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Apollo

• Loc: Hill Country, Texas

Posted 19 September 2021 - 05:11 PM

I ran the regular CPU version with a time of 146 seconds. Then the GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080)  at 11 seconds. Nothing more to say than yeah it's much quicker.

The image is a six panel mosaic @ 5525x4788 and 151 MB size 

This is just a screen capture of the image:

GPU StarXTerminal Test.jpg

Jess

• Scott Mitchell and rcroman like this

#81 Terroll

Terroll

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta

Posted 19 September 2021 - 05:23 PM

Is there a workaround on a Mac for the "Could not complete the StarXTerminator command because the file could not be found" issue?

#82 sbharrat

sbharrat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:30 AM

I'd love to see PI compatibility as I planned to cancel my Adobe subscription this winter. smile.gif

I started on that last night... should be fairly straightforward. Even better, I think it may be possible to train a variant of the neural net to handle linear images natively rather than having to stretch -> remove stars -> unstretch. smile.gif

Very nice. Would definitely be interested once it makes it to PI. And processing on linear would greatly expand the use cases.

Have you published anything about the NN you have designed here? How does it compare in layers and nodes to starnet? 

#83 SebaAstro

SebaAstro

Mariner 2

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:55 PM

@SebaAstro

Your image is 8bits per channel.

Load a 16 bit image (TIFF), or convert this image: Image->Mode->16bits/Channel.

Then it should not be grayed out any more.

@AarondeVries,

Thank you and it worked!!! I was able to open the plug-in (no longer grayed out) but now I have this new error and I cannot figure out how to resolve it.

Any idea?

Screen Shot 2021 09 20 At 4.51.19 PM

#84 rcroman

rcroman

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:01 PM

@AarondeVries,

Thank you and it worked!!! I was able to open the plug-in (no longer grayed out) but now I have this new error and I cannot figure out how to resolve it.

Any idea?

I'm currently looking into this... a few folks have reported it. Can you let me know the exact version of MacOS you are using?

#85 SebaAstro

SebaAstro

Mariner 2

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:04 PM

I'm currently looking into this... a few folks have reported it. Can you let me know the exact version of MacOS you are using?

Thank you. 

I am using macOS Mojave version 10.14.6

Let me know you need other information in order for you to investigate.

thanks again...can't wait to use the plug-in!

#86 rcroman

rcroman

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:16 PM

I am using macOS Mojave version 10.14.6

I'm afraid Mojave won't work... please see the system requirements. The machine learning framework that Apple provides is not available on versions of MacOS earlier than Catalina (10.15).

(Some Catalina users are seeing a similar error, which is what I'm working on solving.)

#87 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:26 PM

I'm using MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina) on my Mac mini and both versions of the plugin have work under that configuration. However, I know for a fact that it didn't work under 10.14 (Mojave). Under Mojave the plugin was either grayed out or didn't do anything when run (for the latter, as I recall, not sure whether I was ever able to get it to even show any indication that it was trying to run). No problems, however, under Catalina.

• rcroman likes this

#88 jgmoxness

jgmoxness

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:38 PM

I ran this on my nebulas. It worked well, with a few exceptions needing hand tweaking to remove the last vestiges of stars. 

There is something spooky about the results (yet, beautiful too)....

Bubble 2021 09 18 HSO nostars crop

• rcroman likes this

#89 EasyQuest

EasyQuest

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:21 PM

I got it working on my latest version of Photoshop CC and currently working on an area in the Veil Nebula with greatly stretched data. This is very good from what I can tell. Happy to support.

Edited by EasyQuest, 20 September 2021 - 09:28 PM.

• rcroman likes this

#90 telfish

telfish

Vanguard

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted Yesterday, 07:12 AM

Cant get this to work on Infinity Photo. Installed in Affinity plugins folder, copied dll's to Affinity program folder, allowed unknown plugins.

Plugin runs and downloads AI, calibrates but crashes Affinity when you press OK. Does this on two systems. 

Any ideas?

#91 telfish

telfish

Vanguard

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted Yesterday, 09:59 AM

Ok sorted the issue, apparently there is no progress bar in Affinity, you just wait for it to finish. Impressed with the results.

• rcroman likes this

#92 jaker

jaker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 11:53 AM

Hi.
Does it work on Windows 7?
I have Photoshop cs6.
Copied 8bf to C: \ Program Files \ Adobe \ Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit) \ Plug-ins \ directory, copied 3 dlls to C: \ Program Files \ Adobe \ Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit) \
When launching photoshop, it crashed on missing api-ms-win-core-winrt-error-l1-1-0.dll. Found it copied to windows \ system32.
Photoshop starts but plugins doesn't.

And when I close photoshop error

in the event log

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 13.0.1.34,
Faulting module name: StarXTerminator.8bf_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0

Edited by jaker, Yesterday, 11:53 AM.

#93 rcroman

rcroman

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 12:34 PM

Unfortunately the libraries required only exist on Windows 8.1 and later.

#94 TopherTheME

TopherTheME

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted Yesterday, 10:52 PM

It took me a while to get it working but I tried it out today on an image that Starnett was struggling with. Not perfect but it works pretty well. At least good enough to help get those proper smaller stars without too many artifacts. 

starxterminator_elephanttrunk_compressed.jpg

• rcroman likes this

#95 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston

Posted Yesterday, 11:01 PM

I shot the SADR region the last two days, and used StarXterminator for the first time on my Mac...it's fast! Like seconds. I tried the same image in PixInsight and it's a few minutes at least. But no GPU processing in PixInsight. It also did a pretty good job compared to PixInsight. But something both struggle with is removing larger stars when you have a field full of small stars. SADR is right in the middle, and it wouldn't remove that star, nor the red star in the bottom left, and 2-3 others. So I ended up cloning the stars that didn't make it into the image that was only stars, then had to remove them manually from the starless image.

SADR-Final-sm.jpg

Full res here:

get.jpg?insecure

• rcroman likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics