•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Decisions Decisions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:35 AM

Out of a clear blue sky, tea-totally, thrown-for-a-loop unexpectedly, I received via USPS a health-insurance rebate of $200.89.  Imagine my surprise.  I had better go ahead and spend it before they come back for it.  Combining that with $60 birthday-cash, and for a total of $260.89, what should I get?

This is currently at the top of the list...

https://www.bhphotov...AaArJOEALw_wcB 

...with $121.80 left over for other astronomical stuff.

Now, B&H Photo had that kit on sale for $109.xx during mid-summer.  I have contacted them, via their price-matching department, but I sent them this link to match...

https://www.telescop...ceProbe II 76mm

Although, I did state within the request that I would pay their summer-sale price for the Carson RP-100 at $109.xx instead.  I haven't heard back from them yet.

The Orion OTA is the exact same as that of the Carson, precisely, other than the colour, "teal", which I don't like, to put it mildly.  The finder, the tripod-legs/spreader, the eyepieces, differ as well.  As a matter of fact, the Orion comes with two modified-achromat(MA) eyepieces, "Kellners" they call them.  The Carson comes with two Huygenian eyepieces, very old school, and all the more reason to meet my price. 

Then, the gorgeous, red tube of the Carson beckons ever so seductively, "Buy me!"  I could keep it out in the new shed I built, and ready for action at a moment's notice, at a whim.

What would you get with said amount?

#2 Delta608

Delta608

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:35 AM

Might want to save it for the increased cost of healthcare for next year..(you'll need to add to it as well !!) crazy.gif

• Sky Muse, ram812 and PatrickVt like this

#3 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:51 AM

Might want to save it for the increased cost of healthcare for next year..(you'll need to add to it as well !!) crazy.gif

Not happening.  Next...

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:36 AM

I would save it towards a better scope, or accessories for your existing scopes.

• ShaulaB, Sky Muse and PatrickVt like this

#5 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 15 September 2021 - 09:02 AM

When I get the occasional "found money", I spend it differently than "earned money". Earned-money spending is deliberative, needs first, joint process for life. Found money is just that; outside the bounds of reality and natural law. Therefore, it is incumbent upon you to impulse-spend on whatever you wouldn't normally buy with earned money. With that said, do you have any ideas floating around, looking for a landing spot?

• Sky Muse likes this

#6 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:33 PM

I would save it towards a better scope, or accessories for your existing scopes.

I already have all of the better telescopes I'm ever likely to have.  Then, a couple of accessories I wouldn't mind having are unavailable at present.

In addition, the telescope has to be a knock-around, where you wouldn't have a fit if something happened to it, 4" or less, and a grab 'n' go. 

#7 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:37 PM

When I get the occasional "found money", I spend it differently than "earned money". Earned-money spending is deliberative, needs first, joint process for life. Found money is just that; outside the bounds of reality and natural law. Therefore, it is incumbent upon you to impulse-spend on whatever you wouldn't normally buy with earned money. With that said, do you have any ideas floating around, looking for a landing spot?

Yes, quite.  I like the way you think.

I've already placed an order for a telescope, but not the Carson, nor the Orion.

#8 Lighthound

Lighthound

Vostok 1

• Loc: Upper Ohio River Valley

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:55 PM

So exactly what did you order?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by Lighthound, 15 September 2021 - 01:56 PM.

• Sky Muse likes this

#9 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 03:09 PM

So exactly what did you order?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Not so fast. grin.gif   It will be showcased within a future post, and within the proper forum.  For example, if I got a Newtonian, the "Reflectors" forum, if an achromat, the "Refractors" forum, and so on.

Incidentally, your reply is most reminding of the first scene within this clip, and within a supermarket...

https://www.youtube....h?v=jxMMP1_2al0

#10 Lighthound

Lighthound

Vostok 1

• Loc: Upper Ohio River Valley

Posted 15 September 2021 - 03:57 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=jxMMP1_2al0

That's funny!!

• Sky Muse likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics