•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TIF files vs TIFF files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John Tucker

John Tucker

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:24 AM

I'm playing with StarNet for the first time and it seems to want TIF files as input, whereas APP, AstroArt, Lightroom and DSS all seem to output TIFF files.  

How to convert TIFF to TIF?

Thanks

#2 vio

vio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Naples, FL

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:38 AM

The format is TIFF. Files may have the .tif or .TIF extension, but the format is TIFF. Nothing to be converted, at most you need to rename files to suit an application or setup operating system associations with applications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • John Tucker likes this

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:47 AM

Microsoft operating systems (specifically DOS and early Windows) used to be limited to 3-letter file extensions.  So TIFF files could only be saved as .tif, JPEG files as .jpg, etc.  That's no longer the case.  

So a .tiff or .TIFF or .tif or .TIF -- all the same file.  Same format.  

• sharkmelley and John Tucker like this

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:55 AM

The easy way to change is to save  the file as all types and put brackets around the file name- so if you wanted to save test.tif as test.tiff you would save as "test.tiff" as in the example attached.

filechange.PNG

• John Tucker, Ibuprofen200mg and Skysmacker like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics