•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do I begin to decloak my 40mm maxvision?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AaronF

AaronF

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 15 September 2021 - 12:12 PM

Hi,

I've decided I want to decloak this eyepiece to make it a bit lighter.

I love the big eyecup that I can rest my face on, but it's so much heavier than my other eyepieces that I end up hardly ever using it.

Here's what it looks like now, on the left:

The newest members of the eyepiece family

I've read the threads on how to do it, and specifically these posts:

"Outer covering and color trim ring removed by having worked the rubber part upward till it slid off the movable sleeve."

and:

"Note that (if) removing the outer rubber covering, don't ever contact the engraved green anodized aluminum ring with a metal screwdriver. To do so will leave marks!"

I've tried to, very gently, get a flat-head screwdriver in between the bit where the rubber meets the metal, but the rubber isn't moving upwards.

I'm worried about applying too much force and scratching up the metal or breaking the rubber, which I don't want to do because I might want to restore it to its original form at some point.

Is there a trick to doing this? Is it possible that the rubber is glued on and needs more force to remove it? Can anyone who's done this before give me any advice?

#2 Frenchy

Frenchy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Battle Ground, WA

Posted 15 September 2021 - 12:19 PM

I decloaked a 40mm meade swa which is essentially the same eyepiece and had the same issue. I applied a little bit of heat to the body with a heat gun and that got it to budge. 

• Jon Isaacs and AaronF like this

#3 AaronF

AaronF

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:54 PM

I don't have a heat gun, but the exhaust fan on my projector gets pretty hot, and leaving the eyepiece next to it for a couple of minutes did the trick. Thank you! smile.gif

IMG20210915231228.jpg

As soon as I get a cloudless night I'll try it out

• Jon Isaacs, SteveG, Ohmless and 1 other like this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted Yesterday, 06:08 AM

I don't have a heat gun, but the exhaust fan on my projector gets pretty hot, and leaving the eyepiece next to it for a couple of minutes did the trick. Thank you! smile.gif

attachicon.gifIMG20210915231228.jpg

As soon as I get a cloudless night I'll try it out

I have the Meade Series 5000 16mm and 24mm SWAs.  They had that same bulky design and I never used them even though they were very good eyepieces.  I really like leaving things stock, just they way they come from the manufacturer.

But there came the day when I decided to just try decloaking the 24mm, "I could always put it back the way it was."

After trying it out, I immediately decloaked the 16mm and they went from being use a couple of nights a year to being just about every night eyepieces.

I think you will be happy with the way your 40mm turned out.

Jon

• AaronF likes this

#5 AaronF

AaronF

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 06:30 AM

I really like leaving things stock, just they way they come from the manufacturer.

I'm the same! :D

I was loathe to touch it for so long, and even when I finally decided to do it I wanted to make sure I could reverse the process (even though I never sell things either)

After trying it out, I immediately decloaked the 16mm and they went from being use a couple of nights a year to being just about every night eyepieces.

I think you will be happy with the way your 40mm turned out.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I think so too, and, well, you did tell me so two years ago! :)

(I still don't have a coma corrector, though, but it's on my list...)

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics