•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron Commander v6.41 problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:08 PM

Per the title, I have a couple issues with the v6.4.1 update to Commander.

First, sidereal time does not seem to match actual time.  I have therefore been unable to properly slew to or plate solve in NINA.  When I try and use the mount panel to slew to something in the eve, i.e. Jupiter, it claims it is below horizon ( or some similar warning) and fails to slew. I have of course confirmed I see Jupiter above the trees.  Also, probably related, the meridian flip is listed as 24 hours away.  When I sync time to PC, it properly resets to my local time and an offset of -480, seemingly correct for Los Angeles. However sidereal time is still "different".

The second problem I have seen reported elsewhere, that the time resets to a random date and time in 2017, and nowhere need my time of day.  

One note.  As I never use it, I did NOT bother to upgrade the firmware on the hand controller.  I have never used it in two years (ish) since the purchase. It is not connected to the mount.

Thoughts?

#2 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:37 PM

Per the title, I have a couple issues with the v6.4.1 update to Commander.

First, sidereal time does not seem to match actual time.  I have therefore been unable to properly slew to or plate solve in NINA.  When I try and use the mount panel to slew to something in the eve, i.e. Jupiter, it claims it is below horizon ( or some similar warning) and fails to slew. I have of course confirmed I see Jupiter above the trees.  Also, probably related, the meridian flip is listed as 24 hours away.  When I sync time to PC, it properly resets to my local time and an offset of -480, seemingly correct for Los Angeles. However sidereal time is still "different".

The second problem I have seen reported elsewhere, that the time resets to a random date and time in 2017, and nowhere need my time of day.  

One note.  As I never use it, I did NOT bother to upgrade the firmware on the hand controller.  I have never used it in two years (ish) since the purchase. It is not connected to the mount.

Thoughts?

IIRC, mount sidereal time is reset via the GPS (if you allow it to lock) and is probably more accurate than your PC time. You may have the DST set incorrectly in commander.

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:59 PM

Are you sure of the version ?

I checked and there's this - V5.7.5.0, Sept. 18, 2020.

So was there a problem after upgrade ?

A screenshot could be helpful.

#4 SnowWolf

SnowWolf

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:28 PM

You might want to check the location setting in NINA, especially if you are using a new profile.  

I've found that the new profile starts at 0 latitude/0 longitude.  When you connect the mount to NINA, if it determines that the locations don't match, it gives you the option to set the scope's location to whatever NINA has (the left most option), set NINA's location to the scope's (the middle option) or nothing.  

Setting the scope to match NINA's 0/0 location has caused the same "Target below horizon" error for me.

#5 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:52 PM

Are you sure of the version ?

I checked and there's this - V5.7.5.0, Sept. 18, 2020.

A screenshot could be helpful.

Here is said screenshot. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 5.48.19 PM.png

#6 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:56 PM

Yes.  I have been having issues with the mount dropping off after a flip, and it was improved when I used a different USB cable.  Before rewiring my setup (through the mount cables), I wanted to verify that there wasn't a mount issue.  My research showed a new version of commander and new firmware.  I updated all, and this problem was the result...

#7 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:58 PM

You might want to check the location setting in NINA, especially if you are using a new profile.  

I've found that the new profile starts at 0 latitude/0 longitude.  When you connect the mount to NINA, if it determines that the locations don't match, it gives you the option to set the scope's location to whatever NINA has (the left most option), set NINA's location to the scope's (the middle option) or nothing.  

Setting the scope to match NINA's 0/0 location has caused the same "Target below horizon" error for me.

The numbers in NINA match the mount, and I always tell NINA to import from the mount when they differ.  The problem in NINA appears to be the mismatched "sidereal time".  I don't understand how the Sidereal time can be so different from the system and mount time.

#8 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:34 AM

IIRC, mount sidereal time is reset via the GPS (if you allow it to lock) and is probably more accurate than your PC time. You may have the DST set incorrectly in commander.

Hi Duncan,  thanks for that.  I think you may have nailed it...   As this mess started with USB connection issues, I decided to look at the RJ45 cable connecting the GPS unit.  When I switched the cable ends, it "felt funny" reconnecting into the gps itself, and after a bit of wiggle to reconnect, I have been imaging again, two nights to prove it out.

One thing I still don't understand.  The sidereal time (LST?) still is a mis-match to actual real time.  The offset is not exactly an hour.  Is "sidereal time" a different measure than real time?  It never occurred to me before ti learn what sidereal time actually is, as I have been imaging with great result for a couple years now.

#9 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:55 PM

Hi Duncan,  thanks for that.  I think you may have nailed it...   As this mess started with USB connection issues, I decided to look at the RJ45 cable connecting the GPS unit.  When I switched the cable ends, it "felt funny" reconnecting into the gps itself, and after a bit of wiggle to reconnect, I have been imaging again, two nights to prove it out.

One thing I still don't understand.  The sidereal time (LST?) still is a mis-match to actual real time.  The offset is not exactly an hour.  Is "sidereal time" a different measure than real time?  It never occurred to me before ti learn what sidereal time actually is, as I have been imaging with great result for a couple years now.

This explains TZ time vs Sidereal Time:

https://astronomy.st...l-sidereal-time

• OldManSky likes this

#10 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:07 PM

The numbers in NINA match the mount, and I always tell NINA to import from the mount when they differ.  The problem in NINA appears to be the mismatched "sidereal time".  I don't understand how the Sidereal time can be so different from the system and mount time.

Sidereal time ("LST" in Commander) will never match your local civil time.  

It's not supposed to.  It runs at a different rate.

Sidereal time never follows DST, either.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics