•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Qhy168c optimal gain/offset question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Krawbeard

Krawbeard

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fort worth, Tx

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:26 PM

Hello,

I just acquired a QHY168c and wanted to know what is the ideal setting to use for gain, offset and flats.

First would be with a uv/ir filter.
Bortle 1-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9?

Next would be with a light pollution filter like the Optolong L-extreme or the Radian Triad ultra?

Also ideal adu to look for as a guide to not blow out stars and background and/or exposure times at different focal ratios?

From what I'm reading unity gain at 10 is the best starting point and to have the offset at 50 rather than 30.

Ive tried googling cloudy nights on the camera and have found a few articles but none that go deeper into optimal settings for the above.

Ive seen some good details on other cameras but would love to see what anyone has to offer on this camera.

Also what is the ideal adu for flats?
I've seen 30k.

By the way I'm using sequence generator pro.

Thank you in advance

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:58 PM

Find the article by Dr Q on the QHY website about how to set the offset. Use the manual on the QHY website to see if there's a sweet spot for gain. What people generally do is vary exposure rather than gain/offset because you need flats (more or less), darks and bias frames at the same settings as the light frames when using a CMOS camera (again generally). It would be a nuisance to have to shoot calibration frames at all differnent settings as you went from lighter (short exposure) to darker (long exposure) skies. Get a copy of the Deep Sky Imaging Primer by Bracken - it will be the best 40 bucks you ever spend on the AP hobby. 

#3 Krawbeard

Krawbeard

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fort worth, Tx

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:31 PM

Find the article by Dr Q on the QHY website about how to set the offset. Use the manual on the QHY website to see if there's a sweet spot for gain. What people generally do is vary exposure rather than gain/offset because you need flats (more or less), darks and bias frames at the same settings as the light frames when using a CMOS camera (again generally). It would be a nuisance to have to shoot calibration frames at all differnent settings as you went from lighter (short exposure) to darker (long exposure) skies. Get a copy of the Deep Sky Imaging Primer by Bracken - it will be the best 40 bucks you ever spend on the AP hobby. 

Ok.  Thanks. I was considering doing the reading and book earlier.  Was just looking for a more turnkey solution from experienced users to help save some time.  I've found some helpful settings on zwo cameras like the asi1600mm by experienced users on this site and found them very useful and effective when I was getting the camera up and running, so maybe I'm just a bit too hopeful to find the same solution in this camera.

Thanks for the input.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics