•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Remarkable Svbony SV202 10 x 42 ED Binocular

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 Stevenkelby

Stevenkelby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:30 AM

Well,

If they last a year with out any issues, then one could say that it would be a good value. It is early, but I wonder how service (likely replacement) will compare to Vortex. 

Surely warranty /service /repair /replacement etc is only relevant for less than one percent of buyers?

More relevant to multi thousand dollar units, which, ironically, seem to have more issues. Or at least, people have higher expectations. 

• astroneil and Opticsfield like this

#52 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:40 AM

Completely agree with you Steven.

Dries1 - do you buy binoculars based on warranty? I never do especially if they cost just over £100 and more importantly if feels solid in the hand. My Svbony 10x42 ED took a tumble down wooden stairs and still in perfect collimation! Not a dent or scratch. Warranty shouldn’t be a concern here.

• astroneil likes this

#53 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:40 AM

Surely warranty /service /repair /replacement etc is only relevant for less than one percent of buyers?

More relevant to multi thousand dollar units, which, ironically, seem to have more issues. Or at least, people have higher expectations. 

I don't have any expectations with regards to repair. But I also have many experiences of trinkets disintegrating after some time in my hands. Each time I thought: they nearly got it right this time, but saved a cent too many on a small part that unraveled the whole construction (again!). Maybe next time!

So as they say: too early to tell.

• dries1, Stevenkelby and ECP M42 like this

#54 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:59 AM

Oh dear trinkets disintegrating, are these binos made out of cardboard

Seriously, joke a side Svbony put out a top notch bino! No time needed to tell anything just use them and if they fall apart buy another one. They won’t break the bank

Edited by Opticsfield, 13 October 2021 - 12:00 PM.

• astroneil likes this

#55 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:28 PM

Oh dear trinkets disintegrating, are these binos made out of cardboard

Who knows when buying from the low cost leader? I love filling the trash dump as much as anybody else. But one should remain realistic: They don't get there without cost reduction and cutting corners. Because another one will sell the same thing for a penny less! That's the definition of a trinket, now isn't it?

• dries1 and Stevenkelby like this

#56 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 October 2021 - 02:16 PM

Ihf enough with the negativity please! 

Like I said earlier, just buy yourself a pair and come back and prove me wrong.

Anyone else with this bino please join in the conversation. 

Mods: I would cordially ask to monitor  this thread as there is an attempt to derail it.

Many thanks 

Edited by Opticsfield, 13 October 2021 - 02:18 PM.

• lunardave likes this

#57 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:03 PM

Pinac: If you get round to measuring the ER, I'd appreciate it to know the numbers (spec states 15.1mm) Regards, Pat

Pat,

I measure 12mm useable eye relief (measured from the rim of the eyecups).

In my experience, 12-13mm is usually the minimum below which observing with glasses gets difficult (although sometimes even 14mm are not enough), but factors such as the diameter and specific shape of the eyecups, face anatomy and slimness of glasses play a role.

The Svbony works with my glasses on, but it‘s at the limit, I can just see the field stop.

Pinac

Edited by Pinac, 13 October 2021 - 03:07 PM.

• astroneil likes this

#58 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:28 PM

Thanks Pinac; I was afraid of that- in the pics at the site, with the cups all the way up and down, I didn't perceive enough distance had been covered for the twist up eye cups. As I wear glasses I will likely pass.  Regards, Pat ( who still thinks they  look very nice)

#59 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:50 PM

Hi Pat

I also wear glasses and I use the 10x42. Pinac assessment is accurate. 

I do find myself pushing then slightly against my glasses to reach the entire fov. It’s definitely usable but with a tiny squeeze.  I also have that 10x50ED which has 17mm ER and that works a treat. Very relaxed view and immersive. 

I hope this helps 

Regards 

• astroneil likes this

#60 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:56 PM

I might have to take a serious look at the 10x50. Hey Pinac, want to buy another test specimen???lol.gif lol.gif .    Regards,Pat

#61 gmkirk130

gmkirk130

Explorer 1

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:27 PM

Just purchased the 10x50 EDs from Svbony’s website (svbony.com) for $197 USD. That was for their “pre-sale” price and expedited shipping (3-5 days). Looking forward to trying them out. 

Didn’t think I’d ever get a non-IS binoculars at this magnification and aperture but just need to try them at this price!

Gary

Edited by gmkirk130, 13 October 2021 - 05:31 PM.

#62 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:44 PM

Strange the Svbony doesn't make a 8x42 ED- would have though that would come before a 8x32. Pat

#63 dries1

dries1

Viking 1

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:10 PM

Hmm, not sure where you got that info. Depends how much the glass costs. And no, I would not be concerned with a warranty with a glass costing the price of the SV Boney.

Enjoy the SV Bonys. 

Edited by dries1, 13 October 2021 - 06:15 PM.

• Stevenkelby likes this

#64 Stevenkelby

Stevenkelby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:29 PM

Hmm, not sure where you got that info. Depends how much the glass costs. And no, I would not be concerned with a warranty with a glass costing the price of the SV Boney.

Enjoy the SV Bonys. 

I should have been clearer. It's a valid concern for anyone to consider, but actually using the warranty, or paying for service if out of warranty, surely that only happens to less than one percent of the purchasers. 

I'm making up that number, making an assumption but I'd bet money it's true that less one percent of the buyers of these binoculars will have any occasion to contact the company for warranty or service.

Take the pentax papilio for example. Similar price but certainly more complex and fragile. How many have been sold vs how many of those buyers have had need for warranty /service, at a guess? I would again suggest it's less than 1%

Therefore, not actually relevant for the rest of us. 

With alpha binoculars I'm sure that percentage is much higher.

#65 Stuart_M

Stuart_M

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:39 AM

Strange the Svbony doesn't make a 8x42 ED- would have though that would come before a 8x32. Pat

I doubt that Svbony make any of their binocular products any more than Bushnell, Celestron, Meade or Opticron make their binoculars. SV are most likely solely a marketer who buy their optics from OEM manufacturers in China. Nothing wrong with that as long as they religiously monitor the quality of the product.

Is it possible that they are using the same eyepieces in the 8x and 10x models and the higher magnification is simply the result of a longer focal length? Nikon does this with its E2 8x30 and 10x35, everything rearward of the prism shelf - metal housing, prisms, focussing mechanism and eyepieces - is identical and the only difference is a longer screw-on barrel and the objective lenses. This approach offers considerable manufacturing savings.

They may also have decided that there isn't sufficient market to justify offering an 8x42. Most non-birders are under the misconception that the more magnification the better and if they're going to carry a big bin it ought to be a 10x or above, and at this price point most buyers are neither birders nor astronomers. Even for many birders the higher weight and reduced FoV of the 8x42 causes them to choose the 8x30 instead, whereas at 10x30 the reduced eye relief and brightness pushes them towards the 10x42 format.

WARNING!!!!!

They also market an SA202 10x42  binocular which is listed at $US31.99. Make sure you order the correct model and that's what you receive.

#66 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:49 PM

Is it possible that they are using the same eyepieces in the 8x and 10x models and the higher magnification is simply the result of a longer focal length? Nikon does this with its E2 8x30 and 10x35 ... 

This is almost never the case with rooftop binoculars. They generally keep the same frame, objectives and focus lens, changing only the eyepieces (focal length). 

Most non-birders are under the misconception that the more magnification the better and if they're going to carry a big bin it ought to be a 10x or above ... 

Poor idiots, you have to let them know that there are 8x42 binoculars ...  smirk.gif

• Opticsfield likes this

#67 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:17 PM

Hello,

I received notice of a few days of independent testing of the Svbony SV 202 10x 40 ED conducted by Binoculars Today:

https://binocular.ch/svbony-10x42-ed/

Kind Regards,

Neil.

Edited by astroneil, Yesterday, 07:18 AM.

• gmkirk130 and Opticsfield like this

#68 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:46 PM

It’s worth taking note of the score cards!

Svbony 10x42 ED vs Leica Trinovid 10x42 ED

https://binocular.ch...trinovid-10x42/
https://binocular.ch/svbony-10x42-ed/

These guys seem to review some amazing gear. 

• astroneil, Sky King and gmkirk130 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics