•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Remarkable Svbony SV202 10 x 42 ED Binocular

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#76 Stevenkelby

Stevenkelby

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Posted 09 November 2021 - 02:02 AM

By „off“ you mean it cannot be adjusted?

I recently came across another 10x42 which had exactly the same problem. No easy way to fix.

I was lucky with my sample which is optically and mechanically impeccable, but it appears then that quality control at Svbony, as is no exception with low price Chinese binos, is still quite an issue, and you cannot count on service as with the more renowned brands.

This needs to be kept in mind when reading positive reviews (including mine ).

Pinac

Yes quite right Pinac, good points. 

I saw that the images were not merged upon first view. At night I focussed on a star then moved the diopter adjustment to the Max so the star was a fuzzy circle in the right eye and a pin point in the left eye. 

The pin point was completely outside of the fuzzy circle. 

Apart from that, I am very impressed with them! Sharp, bright, flat and with minimal aberration.

It seems there is no easy way to collimate, I'll keep hassling Amazon. 

If these can't be fixed I'll be buying myself a replacement pair. 

• astroneil and ECP M42 like this

#77 Bkoh

Bkoh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:42 AM

If your binocular has no serial number (very likely) and remains in new condition, nobody can tell the difference between your original unit and any replacement you order. Therefore, you can order a replacement (at whatever price) and return the defective unit in its place (getting a full refund for your second order).

You might be out the cost of shipping it back to Amazon, but that would probably still be cheaper than shipping the unit back to Svbony in Hong Kong. Amazon will deal with the defective unit (warranty claim with Svbony etc), you have a working unit, everyone is happy.

• astroneil, Pinac, Stevenkelby and 1 other like this

#78 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2021 - 07:04 PM

Yes quite right Pinac, good points. 

I saw that the images were not merged upon first view. At night I focussed on a star then moved the diopter adjustment to the Max so the star was a fuzzy circle in the right eye and a pin point in the left eye. 

The pin point was completely outside of the fuzzy circle. 

Apart from that, I am very impressed with them! Sharp, bright, flat and with minimal aberration.

Hello Steve,

Thanks a million for checking the 10 x 42 out. I'm sorry to hear that it was out of collimation. It's an all too common problem, as others have said. But I'm encouraged by your comments regarding its optical potential. My unit is just amazing! Luck of the Irish lol

Svbony should work harder to sort out these glitches. I don't think it requires moving heaven and earth to improve quality control.

Best of luck with your next unit!

Kind Regards,

Neil.

Edited by astroneil, 10 November 2021 - 07:05 PM.

• Stevenkelby likes this

#79 ECP M42

ECP M42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 11 November 2021 - 12:10 PM

Luck of the Irish lol

Svbony should work harder to sort out these glitches. 

Hello Irish!

The "secret" of low cost is to sell all the models produced, without make scraps with quality control.
When I worked in the electrical department of a super market, we were selling whole pallets of DVD players for € 9.99. More than half are returned for manufacturing defects within 15 days of sale. And I expect it will happen with SvBony as well.
This is a predetermined marketing choice, where "You" (the consumer) are the quality controller.

I would like to come to Ireland for a while to absorb some of that luck lol.gif  

... but also to enjoy the beauty of those places and the friendliness of the inhabitants smirk.gif

irlanda5.jpg

Edited by ECP M42, 11 November 2021 - 12:11 PM.

• astroneil and ihf like this

#80 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2021 - 02:45 PM

Hello Henry,

I'm afraid it's even more confusing than that: my surname is English, born and bred in Ireland and now living in Scotland.lol.gif

Scotland is like Ireland, only with more rugged terrain, mountains etc and somewhat colder but still very beautiful.

My stats on the Svbony binos are somewhat better; I've bought two( the 8x 32 and 10x 42) and borrowed the 10x 50. All with good collimation.

Cheers,

Neil.

#81 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 November 2021 - 01:34 AM

I think like all binoculars, sometimes it’s down to luck even with Alpha binos. 

I have three Svbony 8x32 10x42 and 10x50 all worked for me without a single problem. I think Svbony can do better but there will always be the odd one or two  with defect No matter how good  the QC. 

• astroneil likes this

#82 Astronoob76

Astronoob76

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 November 2021 - 04:05 AM

Never tried their binos but I have a couple of Svbony eyepieces and a guide scope. All pretty good for the money. The 7-21mm zoom eyepiece ist actually one of my favourites.

#83 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2021 - 08:00 AM

I have three Svbony 8x32 10x42 and 10x50 all worked for me without a single problem. I think Svbony can do better but there will always be the odd one or two  with defect No matter how good  the QC. 

Hello Slim,

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your set of binos, and thanks again for being so kind as to lend me your 10 x 50 for testing.waytogo.gif

Best wishes,

Neil.

• Opticsfield likes this

#84 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:32 AM

You are setting up a strawman to equal very different failure rates and experiences. Reputable makers invest heavily to assure a good customer experience. Box movers like SvBony cut everything to the bone and let the users and intermediaries like Amazon deal with the fallout. I understand that SvBony will probably win this game of race to the bottom, but it will never be the same experience "no matter how good the QC". For many quality is the experience.

• Stevenkelby and BUDSBOY like this

#85 dries1

dries1

Viking 1

Posted 12 November 2021 - 10:55 AM

In the end - with optics as anything else manufactured, you get what you pay for. Sorry, but my opinion is that many of these will end up in the landfill.

Andy W.

#86 vdog

vdog

Vanguard

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 12 November 2021 - 12:00 PM

These look the same as the Oberwerk Sport HD II, just at a lower price, which is pretty typical for Svbony:  same stuff for a bit less.  Nothing wrong with that; I have lots of Svbony stuff I purchased for just that reason.

However, if collimation is an issue, it might be worth spending the extra money as Oberwerk checks and adjusts this if necessary before shipping out.

Edited by vdog, 12 November 2021 - 12:02 PM.

#87 ECP M42

ECP M42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 12 November 2021 - 01:09 PM

I'm afraid it's even more confusing than that: my surname is English, born and bred in Ireland and now living in Scotland.lol.gif

You don't have to blame yourself for the English surname. You were born and raised in the arms of a real people and you are living in the arms of another real people. England is a mixture of European populations that has been a peripheral Roman province for centuries. I have nothing against the Romans, but I know them well. lol.gif  

Roman_Empire.jpg

#88 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Auckland. New Zealand

Posted 18 November 2021 - 04:24 PM

Received a pair 3 days ago and on brief usage of them, yes they are remarkable binos for the price. Superior optically to my Terra EDs and my Orion Otter EDs. They display less global CA then my Trinovid HDs and my 12 year old Minox BD 10x58 EDs. Light transmission is excellent, superior to the 'older' BN Leica 12x50's. Field curvature is well controlled with no overt optical aberrations and secondary reflections / ghosting are very well controlled as is lateral CA. There is no play in the focus unit and the eye cups are firm. The Q. an A. and build quality on mine is excellent. I have had over a 100 binos over a decade or so, mostly on sold now and these would be in the top 5, which includes several 'Alphas'. They are still inferior to my Maven B.2 9x45's but not by a large margin. The only con is I am still trying to find the best eye cup position to avoid blackouts, but I am sure I will over come this. All this for $160 USD [!!!] landed in New Zealand, remarkable really.

Chris

Edited by chris charen, 18 November 2021 - 05:18 PM.

• Charles B. and Stevenkelby like this

#89 New Town Man

New Town Man

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:19 PM

Chris

I don't use spectacles for birdwatching (my activity).

I bought the SvBony SV202 8x32 ED--Not the 10x42, but gave me a similar problem--the other day. I couldn't obtain as good a view as I liked. Part as I recall was not full blacks, but flashes caused by incipient blacks. I treated the problem by suck it and see, and thereby, by reasoning backwards, identified the likely cause as the inconsistent positioning of the eyes at the point of eye relief.

The treatment was (1) to run the eyecups at full extension, and (2) to achieve a more comfortable fit of the binocular to face by bulking out the width of the eye cups by 3mm from 40mm to 43mm.

Binastro on Bird Forum said that the positioning of the eyes exactly at the point of eye relief was critical for binoculars with short eye relief. And that is my experience too. However the SvBony does not have short eye relief. As it happens I have the same problem with another binocular that has good eye relief, the Swift Osprey 7.5x42. In fact I have never managed completely to master it.

I leave the reasons for these observations a mystery.

I used doubled over butyl bicycle inner tube to bulk out the eyecups. I think the tube was sized to fit a mountain bike tyre of 2.3 inch maximum section. Inner tubes are normally made of butyl rubber in Britain.

I also sleeved inner tube over the focussing wheel. The knurled 'tread pattern' of the wheel caused my finger on the wheel to go numb after half an hour or so. It's not an intuitive fix, but it has worked for me on other binoculars.

The catch with my treatment of the eyecups? The supplied rainguard no long fits.

The remedy: Make up a custom rainguard. My material of choice is a sandwich of plastic 0.3mm sheet (cut from a milk bottle) skinned on either side by duct tape. I've already measured up the binocular for the necessary template.

Stephen

Edited by New Town Man, 18 November 2021 - 08:19 PM.

• Charles B. likes this

#90 grzybu

grzybu

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2021 - 06:43 AM

Hi,

I've already posted this in thread about the 8x32 version. If you have access to 3d printer capable of printing with very flexible material (30D for eyecups, 40D for dust cup) I can share the design.

With new eyecups it's much easier to avoid blackouts. 

The only thing that I've found uncomfortable were the eyecups. I'm spoiled with my custom eyecups I make for all my binos, so I had to print new ones for new bino. Now it's super comfortable to use, with much softer material on eyecups and way better fit to my face.

I also had to print new dust cup for bigger eyecups

post-56031-0-49152100-1632295113.jpg

• ECP M42 and GateauxEtVelos like this

#91 Psionmark

Psionmark

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2021 - 07:19 AM

The SV202 10x42 is today down to £111.99 on Amazon UK, plus there's an additional £10 voucher (not sure if that's account specific or not).

Ordered!

#92 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 19 November 2021 - 11:34 AM

According to specifiactions, the SV202 10x42 is supposed to be fully waterproof, a claim which is hard to verify unless you submerge it (funny things have sometimes happened in such tests, even with premium glasses such as Leicas).

At least, I can confirm that the Svbony is rainproof /splashproof, I had it out in bad weather several times by now, and so far, so good.

Pinac

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8852r.jpg

Edited by Pinac, 19 November 2021 - 11:35 AM.

• Stevenkelby, ECP M42 and Astronoob76 like this

#93 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 19 November 2021 - 11:38 AM

Pinac, Does it still satisfy, any of the actions loosened too much, diopter adjust still accurate? Eyecups detents still holding? They are still quite appealing to me.  Regards, Pat

#94 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 19 November 2021 - 04:01 PM

Tks Pat.

It‘s mechanical and optical quality still amazes me (and, it seems, others). Everything works like on the first day (well, it is still quite new, so let‘s talk again in a year‘s time or so …)

A warning, though: I obviously got an impeccable sample, while several people have complained in some forums that collimation in their sample was appalling or the diopter adjustment ring stuck (I have myself come across one with a non-functioning diopter adjustment), so quality control at Svbony seems to be a bit of a lottery.

Pinac

• ECP M42 likes this

#95 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:55 PM

The SVBONY SV202 10x50 is $160.00 now at Amazon. Very tempting.

Edited by Sky King, 25 November 2021 - 12:56 PM.

#96 Psionmark

Psionmark

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom

Posted 26 November 2021 - 06:31 AM

The SVBONY SV202 10x50 is $160.00 now at Amazon. Very tempting.

Mine arrived a couple of days back. It's delightful. Beautiful clarity and I can almost hold it still without being mounted lol. I shall mount it to a pistol grip next time the clouds clear.

#97 nobake

nobake

Mariner 2

• Loc: Eastern Iowa

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:15 AM

I was just looking at Amazon and these were on for $120 so I impulsively ordered them.  Should arrive next Tuesday.

I hope they are the good ones.  I guess there's always the return option if they aren't.

matt

#98 Knierer

Knierer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:23 AM

Got mine from Amazon for 120€ and they’re every bit as good discussed here. They really feel premium, unlike say Nikon Aculons, that hover around the same price range. 

While observing Comet Leonard today,i found out you can unscrew the eyecups by twisting them in and then further clockwise. That might be a solution for the stuck diopter settings, since you can screw them in tight and lock it.

CS,

Alex

#99 Asterism

Asterism

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 December 2021 - 11:08 PM

Strange the Svbony doesn't make a 8x42 ED- would have though that would come before a 8x32. Pat

I was messaging their Aliexpress store to ask about details for something else and mentioned this and they said the 8x42 ED will go on sale in March 2022.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics