•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Teegarden's Star Finder Charts for Telescopes 8" and larger

Observing
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SNH

SNH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

Earlier in the summer, I went through the hard work of creating a list of the 40 Highest Proper Motion Stars in spreadsheet form. I was reminded while doing so that I need to try and see Teegarden's Star, a 15th-magnitude red dwarf star in Aries that has the 9th largest proper motion and yet was only discovered in 2003. Well, in a recent thread started by CN member Redbetter, he mentioned viewing Teegarden's Star in his 20-inch after midnight.

So, here is a link to a PDF document I just created where I map out where to find Teegarden's Star in far eastern Aries. Hopefully, I too will get around to seeing it too this autumn or winter in my 10-inch SCT.

Scott

• timokarhula, brentknight and zleonis like this

#2 SNH

SNH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:25 PM

Well, I got out and did some observing this morning from 3am-6am local time. I made a point to use the finderchart I had created for Teegarden's Star and was able to find it without any trouble in my 10-inch SCT. I couldn't see any red color, but I did find that at 200x it was visible (with effort) with direct vision. So I've gone and bagged the star with the 9th largest proper motion less than 20 years after its discovery. Yea!

Scott

#3 timokarhula

timokarhula

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:33 AM

Last night I also observed Teegarden's star with my 12-inch Dob.  It was easy to find being only 2°.5 from Uranus in Aries.  Thanks to Scott's finder chart I could quite easily see the 15.1 mag red dwarf.

/Timo Karhula

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics