•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY268M - something that I cannot sure yet

CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 classpath

classpath

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Monica, CA, USA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:52 AM

Hi,

QHY268M is my first camera from QHY. I have had ZWO cameras (ASI071MC-Pro and ASI2600MC-Pro). I realized something that I have not seen with ZWO cameras so wanna clarify:

* Green LED inside: when I connect the camera to the computer and power supply, the green light is turned on inside of heat sink chamber. It is turned off when cooling started. Is this same of other users? It is very bright so wonder if it indicates something or not.

* When the camera is connected to a power, cooling started automatically even I didn't start any imaging software or connect to the camera via ASCOM or native driver. Looks like target temperature is 0 degrees Celsius, and depends on current ambient temperature, it could hit 100% cooling power immediately. I'm worrying about thermal shock. ZWO cameras do not have such behavior.. Is this normal for QHY268M? This also cause not only power surging but also cause unnecessary power consuming. When it happened, the camera consumes about 2A.  I'm 100% mobile user and I need time to preparation before actual imaging started, for focusing, polar alignment, sometimes modeling, and waiting until my target is high enough. During the period, I do not turn on cooling to save power only comes from battery. Only way I can prevent it is disconnecting from power but then some of the preparation steps are not available. Is there any way, I could start without cooling?

* Seems my QJY268M cannot reach -35 degree delta. I have multiple thermometer around my desk, they point 24-26 degrees Celsius. But QHY268M only cooled down to -6.4 degree Celsius. While the 32.5 delta is not very far from spec but ASI2600MC-Pro could reach -10 degree Celsius easily under same condition. Is your camera able to reach the maximum?

* The window heater... is there anyway turn it off? There must be a case it is very useful. But when humidity is low, it just consumes unnecessary power and also affect on cooling itself. I experienced it with ZWO camera. When I turned off the heater, cooling could go further although it was not dramatical difference.

* ASCOM driver does not report sensor temperature until cooling started. It is always 25 degrees Celsius. Cooling power is 0% until cooling is started while it is already consuming power as mentioned above. This 0% power case is same for native driver while it shows sensor temperature. Does your device/driver have same behavior?

Thanks,

Jinyoung

#2 Wilsil

Wilsil

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, WA AUSTRALIA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 01:06 AM

1. green light: there is a light when connected to power but it isn't that bright on mine.

2. cooling: it should only be switched on when you select it in your capturing program. Are you sure it is cooling? The camera fan is running when you connect to power so there is always a little noise.

3. temp delta: according to me -6.4 plus 24 is still 30 degrees. Don't think the last 5 degrees will make any difference.

4. Window heater: I don't think so, it is protection for the lens.

5. Sensor temp: mine does, at least in NINA and AZCap I can see it even when not cooling.

#3 classpath

classpath

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:31 AM

Wilsil, Thanks for response.

1. It is only turned on until cooling starts, yeah, so I less care about it

2. Hmm. That's what really the camera confuses me. I just rechecked by connecting it and waiting more than 10 minutes. After 10 mins, I connect camera via native driver from NINA. The temperature that was reported was around 22 degree. So looks like cooling was not initiated. However, the camera consumes around 1 amp continuously even cooling was not initiate.. ASI2600MC just consumes 0.2A while its fan is on too

3. 5 degree probably would not make big difference, I agree. I just wanna check others are similar. (And want to make dark at -10 degree C but could not...)

4. Unfortunate..

5. Did you use native driver or ascom driver? As mentioned, if I use native driver, it reports temp but cooling started automatically. If I use ascom driver, the temp is fixed to 25 degree C while cooling toward to zero already initiated automatically. The temperature changes are not reported until I give command to start cooling. And consuming power is not reported in both drivers.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:42 AM

"* The window heater... is there anyway turn it off? There must be a case it is very useful. But when humidity is low, it just consumes unnecessary power and also affect on cooling itself. I experienced it with ZWO camera. When I turned off the heater, cooling could go further although it was not dramatical difference."

In another thread, a QHY rep confirmed that the heater is turned on by default and there is no way to turn it off.  The rep said he would ask the software team to see if they could put that option in as on ZWO cameras.

Just FYI, I run about 90% of the time with my ASI2600MC-Pro window heater OFF.  I live in the mostly-dry desert of SoCal.  I don't need it on most nights.  I'm in an AC-powered observatory, so I don't need to conserve battery power, but being able to turn it off IS a desirable option.

#5 classpath

classpath

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 01:33 PM

Paul, I totally agree with you. I also live in so-cal and do not run the window heater most of the times. And the battery is only power that I have, I'm kind of sensitive for power consuming... 

• OldManSky likes this

#6 Wilsil

Wilsil

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, WA AUSTRALIA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:26 AM

I am using the native driver in NINA

#7 classpath

classpath

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:58 PM

Okay, I figured out what caused the limiting to -30 C below ambient. 

* When I connect the camera from SGP very first time (ascom driver), I turned on cooler without setting actual target temperature and duration. This is completely okay behavior with ZWO cameras but this QHY camera surged cooling power to 100% immediately and that caused voltage dropping for the very short moment. 

* The voltage dropping below 11V did last for very short time but it triggered ULVO (under voltage locking). And it set some flag into flash memory. My mini PC ran with the battery also went down. 

* Then, I could not reach -35 C below ambient. 

* In the latest version of EZCAP, an error message popped up every time when I connected the camera: "Camera may not be able to reach the maximum cooling power".

* I finally found a way to clear flag via the latest version of EZCAP from a facebook post of QHYCCD (https://www.facebook.com/QHYCCD).

* After clearing it and RECONNECTING the camera, tada~, the camera now can reach to -35 C below ambient temperature.

I would have been very sad if mine was limited to -30C below ambient smile.gif

Edited by classpath, 23 September 2021 - 12:16 AM.

• OldManSky and Wilsil like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CMOS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics