•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Imaging help needed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tatoo

Tatoo

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: CNM

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:16 AM

I have a C11 Celestron SCT with a Celestron .63 focal reducer with a ZWO ASI533 mounted 105mm from the reducer. Last night I manually focus the scope with my diagonal and a 32mm lens before removing the diagonal and lens and mounting the image train and connecting my computer. I am using PHD2 for tracking with my CEM70G, a ZWO120mm guide camera on Aperture 60mm guide camera and a ZWO electronic auto focus. I am using NINA to control everything except guiding and I tried some test shots and only got pics so grainy that you couldn’t see the stars clearly visible when I manually focused the scope. I did check the collimating before manually focusing and it was good.

can someone help me figure out what I need to do to get my scope focused through the computer with NINA?

Thank you very much

Tatto

#2 mdavister

mdavister

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:21 AM

A trick to get you in the rough starting place with a camera is to setup your imaging train minus the camera. Point the scope at a very bright star. Place a piece of wax paper where the image sensor would be (ground glass would be best). Adjust focus until the projected star is in focus. Remount the camera and fine tune electronically.

Another method would be to focus on a terrestrial distant object during the day. The exposure times are much shorter, making it easier to get close to correct focus.

#3 Tatoo

Tatoo

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:32 AM

Thank you Mitch

#4 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:46 AM

Plus one for focusing on a distant object during the day.. Then at night you will be very close to focus and will just need to tweak it.

• OldManSky and Aviates like this

#5 Tatoo

Tatoo

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:38 AM

I did focus the scope manually with my diagonal and a lens prior to connecting the image train. Shouldn’t that work?

#6 Bretw01

Bretw01

Viking 1

• Loc: IL USA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:12 AM

I did focus the scope manually with my diagonal and a lens prior to connecting the image train. Shouldn’t that work?

Only if the diagonal is used with your camera, which it is not. The diagonal changes your focus point.

By lens do you mean eyepiece?

#7 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:17 AM

I wouldn't start with using a diagonal and lens. It could get you in the vicinity but really just put it all together with the imaging train during the day and leave it until you can get out at night to tweak is what most would recommend. 

#8 Tatoo

Tatoo

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:56 AM

Yes, eyepiece.

I will give it a go in the daytime.

Thanks

#9 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:04 PM

The moon is perfectly placed right now to focus on well before it is dark. You just need to reduce the duration of the exposure to something like 0.01 seconds. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics