•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which telescope to buy?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shepdog

Shepdog

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London, KY

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:44 AM

Hello Comrades,

I am needing your help making a buying decision for a dedicated astrophotography telescope.

Done enough research to eliminate a newt..and already have an Orion XT12I so the moon and planets are covered.

My budget is the $1000 range..and know Il likely spend that much for a mount..

Im intermediate, but advance quickly, and do NOT wanna have to upgrade for a few years. 

Performance is THE main concern,,,and dont mind needing to upgrade something on it,,,but really dont wanna have issue with something like the focuser etc

Currently, Im thinkin the ES ED102 is the way to go with the Williams Optics  Gran Turismo 80 mm and Meade 6000 triplet 80mm also conisdered.

I dont know enough to know if chasing more MM's will come back to bite me, or if leaning toward a smaller triplet is better than a larger doublet,,,so I am really hoping someone can help me out.

I would even stretch the budget to the $1500 mark to guarantee I dont make the wrong buying decision as I see this as a one time purchase and not something to skimp on.

Clear Skies smile.gif confused1.gif confused1.gif confused1.gif confused1.gif confused1.gif confused1.gif

#2 psugrue

psugrue

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:20 AM

Who the hell knows? You sound more qualified to figure it out than most people. Mount is key of course. I have a CGX which I like. Other people will tell you it's crap. I also have a WO GT 81 and it screams quality and I have nothing bad to say about it but I have never used an ES ED102. You have a nice problem on your hands. I would look at some of the Astro-Tech range too, maybe?

Regards,

Patrick

#3 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:50 AM

Since you're already looking at 80's, get this:

https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

Or here's a 115 in your budget.

I took a gamble on a 60mm AT60ED doublet from Astro Tech earlier this year.  It was only $399 and I thought "what the heck, let's try it".  It has surpassed all of my expectations and then some.  I plan to stick with them.  Next purchase will be the AT80EDT I linked above.

Why pay more for a WO?

As far as mounts, it won't take much to drive an 80mm.  You could just get an EQM-35 for around $800.

Edited by matt_astro_tx, 16 September 2021 - 11:03 AM.

• Shepdog likes this

#4 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:03 AM

First, you probably should be asking the imaging forums as this is more of an AP question than a refractor question.

I am not an AP guy but I read good things about the AT80EDT F6.  $850   If you are also going to use it for visual you will need a diagonal.

• matt_astro_tx likes this

#5 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:30 AM

I suggest to think first to the mount, and only after that to the optics.

If have to stretch the budget, I think it is better to do so for the mount, even if that would mean to get a 70-60mm refractor instead (which, by the way, could be a sound plan in any case as could purchase a very nice unit)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that should budget right from now the guiding stuff

Edited by Hesiod, 16 September 2021 - 11:31 AM.

#6 f430

f430

Viking 1

• Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:34 AM

After 4 years I'm still learning so keep that in consideration. And not to disagree with Matt above, but for photography, and to save money in the long run, I'd suggest you forget the doublet, and stick with a Triplet. Consider that you're going to need a field flattener as well.

For the focuser, get the rack and pinion type, and not one of the friction types. Reason being that with a camera on the back end, along with possibly a filter wheel, OAG with camera, the load might be heavy enough to allow the focuser to slip a bit with the scope pointed high in the sky. Out of focus images will really ruin your night! 

Don't skimp on the mount!!!! Accurate guiding is #1 in astrophotography, Accurate guiding includes having a mount that can easily handle the weight of you imaging set up. For most mounts that means a rating of at least twice, or more, the weight of your equipment. Top end mounts can carry what they are rated at. 

Consider that starting less expensive and working up is going to cost you money in the long run. Resale on this stuff seems to be about 60 / 80%. Best to buy a keeper if the wallet can handle it.

In the end, photography is a blast, and there will always be something you just absolutely need to have!

• SilverLitz and OldManSky like this

#7 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:14 PM

As f430 suggested, for AP, skip the achromats. At a minimum you would want an ED Doublet. But if performance is paramount then an APO Triplet is what you want.

Edited by aeajr, 16 September 2021 - 02:39 PM.

• drd715 likes this

#8 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 16 September 2021 - 02:16 PM

Both of the links to Astro Tech scopes I provided were triplets.

I realize now that mentioning my doublet confused the matter.  I absolutely agree he should get a triplet if his budget supports it, and both of the scopes I linked to (an AT80EDT and an AT115EDT) would be great choices.

#9 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:32 PM

There is a different requirement beyween imaging and visual. You may want to qualify your usage. But a nice 115EDT will do both. Don't skimp on the mount.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#10 Shepdog

Shepdog

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London, KY

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:54 PM

Thank you all,,,,I did not know where to post and was concerned I would get a message from the admin saying it was being moved lol

Iv only been at this a little over a year,,,I have learned so much but I know there is so much more I need to learn.

Heck,,,I have been imaging with a 12inch dob lol 

Most definitely understand trying to save money by skimping will require spending that much and more again later so being careful with my selection and doing the research to prevent that.

Thank you all for the  advice

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics