•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Light pollution filter for f2?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Realman10

Realman10

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:49 AM

Hi,

I have a Celestron 8 edge HD that I use with a Hyperstar to shoot nebulae at f2. As I live in a light polluted area, I wanted to add a light pollution filter. My camera is a colour asi533mc pro.

I did some research and 2 filters would stand out for shooting at f2 with the Hyperstar.

It's the IDAS NB1 or the IDAS P2.

Do you have any experience using the Hyperstar, shooting at f2 and using one of those filters? Any other filters you tried with C8 + hypertsar and were great?

Looking forward to your answers! 

#2 Fegato

Fegato

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Llanfynydd, Carmarthen, Wales

Posted 17 September 2021 - 03:12 AM

I used a Hyperstar with my 8 Edge HD until recently. I didn't use a broadband LP filter, as I have dark skies, but I did use a dual narrowband filter for shooting nebulae. This was particularly useful in dense star fields and when the moon was up.

I found the Optolong L-eNhance worked pretty well for this, but the IDAS NBZ was an improvement. It's specifically designed for fast systems like Hyperstar, AND  I still use the NBZ on my new RASA 11.

So - for emission nebulae - I think the NBZ would do a better job for you than a broadband LP filter. For other targets (galaxies, reflection nebulae etc.) you would need the LP filter. Choosing an IDAS one would mean the 2 filters are parfocal, which is important, particularly with the Hyperstar, which is very sensitive to backfocus distance.

#3 RogeZ

RogeZ

Vanguard

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:56 AM

The NBZ and Astronomik CLS-CCD work well.

Edited by RogeZ, 17 September 2021 - 05:56 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics