•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Father & son - complete beginners - first telescope buy

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 Dobs O Fun

Dobs O Fun

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:19 AM

It's what I have. Appears to be so anyway. I have the SW200P. 1200mm f5.9, comes with 1.25 in or 2.0 in adapter. 25mm and 10mm. Should have a cover for top of tube opening with a removable smaller lens cap about 3in dia.

Bearings should be in great condition. Very simple design.

#52 boxerdog

boxerdog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Romania

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:26 AM

I'm pretty sure it has the cap as well, owner says he has everything, including manual, just missing the original box. It's not marked 200P on the tube or base as I'm seeing in today's model, it just says Skywatcher, he told me it was bought it as SW 203/1200 Pyrex (Capella-8). Guess it's the same. Hope to be a good buy.

#53 TheUser

TheUser

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:37 AM

ask him how many times primary mirror has been washed. how it has been washed. and ask him not to clean scope due to deal - just leave it as it is.

#54 Dobs O Fun

Dobs O Fun

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:57 AM

I'm pretty sure it has the cap as well, owner says he has everything, including manual, just missing the original box. It's not marked 200P on the tube or base as I'm seeing in today's model, it just says Skywatcher, he told me it was bought it as SW 203/1200 Pyrex (Capella-8). Guess it's the same. Hope to be a good buy.

I bought mine used, got a good deal on it. Afterward I went on Amazon and saw the prices new, I thought sheesh...i know i did okay. Mine seemed to be an "open box purchase"

My primary is a bit dirty...no issues using it and doesnt seem to negatively affect it.

Good luck on your purchase!!!

#55 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:25 PM

I'm pretty sure it has the cap as well, owner says he has everything, including manual, just missing the original box. It's not marked 200P on the tube or base as I'm seeing in today's model, it just says Skywatcher, he told me it was bought it as SW 203/1200 Pyrex (Capella-8). Guess it's the same. Hope to be a good buy.

It is the newer model  Looks ship shape, you two will enjoy its capabilities, its views  And as a bonus it leaves room for something like an ST80 in the future, lol

#56 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:29 PM

ask him how many times primary mirror has been washed. how it has been washed. and ask him not to clean scope due to deal - just leave it as it is.

I would be more interested in collimation than clean  You don't have to clean the mirrors very often, as most experienced owners / users say never look down the barrel if you don't want to see ........

#57 Voyageur

Voyageur

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 September 2021 - 02:33 PM

Good luck and have fun with your new telescope!

#58 Spile

Spile

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK

Posted 24 September 2021 - 03:28 PM

I have the 200P and there are some tips and hints on my website below.

#59 boxerdog

boxerdog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 04:46 AM

It's home now, but didn't have any time for it, hopefully today I'll be able to align the finder with the tube and check collimation against a white wall.

It came basically with everything Skywatcher delivers - 25mm and 10mm eyepieces on 1.25", focus extender mounted and what I think is a focus extender for 2" eyepieces. It seems to have the kind of small hex key allen wrench collimation screws both on the primary and the secondary, but I do hope I won't have to collimate it yet.

Thanks 

• LDW47 and TheUser like this

#60 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:40 AM

It's home now, but didn't have any time for it, hopefully today I'll be able to align the finder with the tube and check collimation against a white wall.

It came basically with everything Skywatcher delivers - 25mm and 10mm eyepieces on 1.25", focus extender mounted and what I think is a focus extender for 2" eyepieces. It seems to have the kind of small hex key allen wrench collimation screws both on the primary and the secondary, but I do hope I won't have to collimate it yet.

Thanks 

If it was well looked after chances are you won't, those 6-8" dobs are pretty forgiving  At least my 3 SW'ers were right out of the box from China

#61 boxerdog

boxerdog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2021 - 03:42 AM

Well, first evening out - aligned as much as possible the finder with the tube, though it's far from perfect, as I can't see any far away objects - alignment was done on a roof corner about 200m away. Will probably alingn better in a night when I can see the moon. The tube itself is nice and collimation seemed to be ok from a visual inspection - maybe I'll get a laser at some point.

From my yard I have a good view of the sky from north to south and quite limited east to west due to buildings. We did manage to see Vega and a hint of Lyra and got a nice view of Altair. It was early as I had to get the kids to sleep as well, so planets were not yet visible (due to buildings). However, my kid really enjoyed feeling he's in control and being able to search for stars, while the fact that he actually managed to find one or two gave great satisfaction.

The largest pain for me seems to be the finderscope - with the limitations of Borle 8 and buildings, most visible and bright objects would require the tube to be relatively vertical which for me makes the use of the finderscope impossible - even on my knees I can't really look through it. Any hints on that please?? 

• Dobs O Fun likes this

#62 TheUser

TheUser

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2021 - 04:51 AM

try diagonal or prism, that may require another finderscope

P.S.: so you've got SW Dob as posted above?

Edited by TheUser, 28 September 2021 - 04:58 AM.

#63 boxerdog

boxerdog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2021 - 05:52 AM

try diagonal or prism, that may require another finderscope

P.S.: so you've got SW Dob as posted above?

Yes, got the Dobson 203/1200P. Should I start a new thread for the experiences with it? Figured it's best to continue here for the full story to unfold but let me know please. 

• TheUser likes this

#64 TheUser

TheUser

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:05 AM

Yes, got the Dobson 203/1200P. Should I start a new thread for the experiences with it? Figured it's best to continue here for the full story to unfold but let me know please. 

hard to say. with links there are freedom of act:

- continue this thread;

- close this thread and start a new with link to this;

- put here a link on new thread as a final message.

logically it is better to separate them IMHO.

P.S.: so your new purchase has happen to be something close to what you expected as astronomical equipment on the very first post of this topic? are you happy with that based on first impressions?

#65 boxerdog

boxerdog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for that TheUser. I think you're right, it does make more sense to end this soon with a link to a new thread on experiences since this started out as a buy thread.

In short, vs my initial ideas I did make some hard choices, like dropping the idea of motorized/goto mount and any current thought of AP and I did listen to the voice of reason of so many users here in combination with finding a good deal used. Truth be told, I'm not so sure I would have paid 500euros straight up for a new 8" Dobson, but this way I think it was worth it. Seeing the lil' guy putting all his energy into finding some bright stars already makes me feel it is a nice choice.

My main issue remains the straight view finderscope which forces me to become a contortionist and the transport to other locations, as I carried it on the back seat when bringing it home, but normally that's the place for the kids' car seats. Not sure if trunk is an option or maybe from trunk to backseat, through the middle folding place (would it fit? no idea...)

As mentioned in most of my previous posts, I really appreciate the support of the community here.

Edited by boxerdog, 28 September 2021 - 08:03 AM.

• TheUser likes this

#66 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:11 AM

The big thing right now is to become very fluent, very familiar with the main constellations in your pieces of sky through the use of the sky charts in NightWatch / Turn Left at Orion, apps like SkySafari + / Stellarium and to look, look, look with your own eyes every clear, dark nite. Once you become familiar the use of a finder, in most times, will likely become redundent  And then the real fun will begin  PS  Make sure you keep your son involved in this initial education, as much as possible, they are never too young to learn

#67 TheUser

TheUser

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2021 - 12:10 PM

it is interesting to know how the instrument work on DSO (one of main aims it been purchased for)

Edited by TheUser, 28 September 2021 - 12:11 PM.

#68 boxerdog

boxerdog

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:58 PM

This one is just to wrap up this topic in case other parents are in my position.

I did get the 8" Dobson as stated. It really was a combination of suggestions and encouragements from the community combined with finding a great deal for a slightly used one at about half the price. I would have quite certainly lingered for longer otherwise.

It's big but can still be carried by one person marginally without disassembly. In terms of capabilities, planets and double stars seem to be handled well in our Bortle 8 city center sky, though we're still discovering things. Can't say anything about DSOs, on one hand there's just so much light pollution and few visible stars, on the other we've literally used it three times so far so we will need to learn a lot more.

What I can say is the Dobson is easily operated by an 8yr old (I was concerned about that), which for me is great. However, at this moment I can't really see myself carrying it anywhere else by car if I'm with the kid, as I believe it can only fit on the backseat and that's where the kids' carseats are placed. Still trying to figure that out, not sure if it fits in the trunk or how safe that would be. This logistic part makes a part of me still wishing for a grab&go 100/120mm refractor but we'll see what the future holds.

As I'm wrapping up this thread on the purchase, I decided to create a new one based on our experiences, learnings and most likely a handful of mistakes, which you'll find here

Thank you very much to everyone who put in their thoughts, ideas and experience.

• Dave Mitsky, MisterDan, TheUser and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics