•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific is the New Distributor of Vixen Optics

Refractor Reflector Eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Upstate New Yorker

Upstate New Yorker

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 16 September 2021 - 02:41 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but today Explore Scientific announced that it is the new distributor of Vixen Optics in the Americas.  It's been a few months since Vixen had a distributor in the US, and this is welcome news for fans of Vixen's telescopes, eyepieces, mounts, and other products.  For more, see Explore Scientific's website.

• markb, Todd N, Castor and 5 others like this

#2 markb

markb

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:05 PM

I hope they keep spare parts available. When I needed focuser parts on a 140NA a couple of years ago VixenUSA was able to solve a thorny problem with a fresh pinion.

Vixen remains the only source for some brand specific threaded adapters, too..

• Castor, Bean614, 25585 and 3 others like this

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:02 PM

It’s difficult to distinguish in who owns what nowadays are we in danger that no well known brand becomes a single entity.

orion owns Meade now so the story goes.Celestron and skywatcher basically the same company and manufactured in the same factory (synta) .

#4 Upstate New Yorker

Upstate New Yorker

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:27 PM

For those who don't know much about Vixen, it is a Japanese firm, founded in 1949, located in Saitama on the outskirts of Tokyo.  Many of its iconic products are made in this location, while some others are made in China to Vixen's specifications.  I own two of its products, the SG 2.1x42 binocular and the R200SS eight inch Reflector.  They are of very good quality, and they dare to be a little different.   But Vixen needs a US distributor to market its products, and to stock spare parts and so on. But Vixen is an independently owned firm.

Another interesting fact about Vixen is that it is named after one of Santa Claus's reindeer, the messenger of joy, after Clement C. Moore, The Night Before Christmas.  I found that out from the company's web site.

• payner, weis14, Castor and 3 others like this

#5 Simon B

Simon B

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: BC, Canada

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:38 PM

Good news - Vixen's back in town kids

• Castor and 25585 like this

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 16 September 2021 - 05:36 PM

Yes, it is good news that they are back to having a US distributor for US based customers.

• Castor and 25585 like this

#7 andysea

andysea

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:36 PM

Good news! I owned the R200ss with the fantastic corrector PH. It was an excellent high quality telescope.
  • Castor, 25585 and Upstate New Yorker like this

#8 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:16 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but today Explore Scientific announced that it is the new distributor of Vixen Optics in the Americas.  It's been a few months since Vixen had a distributor in the US, and this is welcome news for fans of Vixen's telescopes, eyepieces, mounts, and other products.  For more, see Explore Scientific's website.

I hope this works out well.  I have had trouble with ES's customer service.  Brian was so excellent in this regard, it will be difficult for ES to live up to his standards.  But ..... we can hope.

I wonder when they will get things in stock.

• Upstate New Yorker likes this

#9 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:18 PM

For those who don't know much about Vixen, it is a Japanese firm, founded in 1949, located in Saitama on the outskirts of Tokyo.  Many of its iconic products are made in this location, while some others are made in China to Vixen's specifications.  I own two of its products, the SG 2.1x42 binocular and the R200SS eight inch Reflector.  They are of very good quality, and they dare to be a little different.   But Vixen needs a US distributor to market its products, and to stock spare parts and so on. But Vixen is an independently owned firm.

Another interesting fact about Vixen is that it is named after one of Santa Claus's reindeer, the messenger of joy, after Clement C. Moore, The Night Before Christmas.  I found that out from the company's web site.

Vixen is an excellent company.  I own thirteen of their mounts and tripods.  All are very good.  

• Castor, 25585, Upstate New Yorker and 1 other like this

#10 Upstate New Yorker

Upstate New Yorker

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:47 AM

I hope this works out well.  I have had trouble with ES's customer service.  Brian was so excellent in this regard, it will be difficult for ES to live up to his standards.  But ..... we can hope.

I wonder when they will get things in stock.

Explore Scientific says that it will begin showing Vixen Products as early as October.  The incentives are right, because of the holiday season, which is not right around the corner, but has already started!

I agree with you on quality of the company's products.  Not only do they look fantastic: the optics are top of the line.  The focusers are reliable but not fancy.  The telescopes tend to be more manageable than other brands.  Who else has a 10.2 inch catadioptric that weighs only 22 pounds?  It's an interesting formula for success.

The main concern is whether Explore Scientific will stock all the parts and adapters than are part of this formula.

• weis14, Castor, 25585 and 1 other like this

#11 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:06 AM

Yes vixen is a Japanese based company however not all there products are actually manufactured in Japan some of there line are manufactured in China.no suprise there then

• teashea likes this

#12 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:32 PM

Vixen ED refractors with a "f" suffix are made in China (Synta), those without in Japan. That also applies to their achromats. 

• markb, Castor and teashea like this

#13 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:39 PM

No complaints with ES (excellent service).  Good to know Vixen is once again easily available,

• Castor likes this

#14 Upstate New Yorker

Upstate New Yorker

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:41 PM

Vixen ED refractors with a "f" suffix are made in China (Synta), those without in Japan. That also applies to their achromats. 

That's right.

25585, I see that you are a Linda Ronstadt fan.  In my early days in the American Midwest, the Linda Ronstadt craze was in progress.  She came to give a concert in the college town that I lived in.  While I didn't attend, others did.  According to them, the audience was just insane. All this is 45 years ago.  Now I've heard that she suffers from a neurodegenerative disease that has left her cognitively impaired, forcing her into total retirement.  So sad!

• teashea likes this

#15 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:11 PM

Yes, she has always been a favorite of mine also.

#16 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 23 September 2021 - 05:44 AM

It's a relief to have a Vixen distributor in the US again. I thought I was having an issue with my SXP mount a couple of weeks ago and freaked out when I discovered that the Vixen Optics website was gone. Fortunately for me, the problem was user error but I still need to have a contact person if my mount needs to be sent to Vixen. Brian took care of that for me years ago when I had to have my Sphinx serviced in Japan. 

• Castor, Upstate New Yorker and teashea like this

#17 Upstate New Yorker

Upstate New Yorker

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:06 AM

It's a relief to have a Vixen distributor in the US again. I thought I was having an issue with my SXP mount a couple of weeks ago and freaked out when I discovered that the Vixen Optics website was gone. Fortunately for me, the problem was user error but I still need to have a contact person if my mount needs to be sent to Vixen. Brian took care of that for me years ago when I had to have my Sphinx serviced in Japan. 

Amy, I think your post makes a good point.  In my view, Vixen would hold a larger share of the US market if it had more extensive local distribution and support.  A while back I was looking for an 8-inch Newtonian.  After a lot of reading, I recently picked the Vixen R200SS with optional coma corrector PH.  This is a more expensive unit than others, so why did I select it?  Because I became convinced of its higher quality and lower maintenance.   And yet, the only distributor was closing down because of a looming retirement.   I also like the Vixen 2.1x42 constellation binocular, also very well made.  I think the signs are good for Vixen with this new distributor, so successful in its own right.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor, Reflector, Eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics