•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Runaway mount when EQMOD PPEC is enabled

Mount
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TAK346

TAK346

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 02:59 PM

I have been running EQMOD PPEC with my EQ6R mount for months without issue.  Last night when I enabled PPEC and then used the goto function on APT my scope slewed to the proper position and APT commended my camera to take a picture for plate solving.  Unfortunately, the mount only slowed down at the proper position.  It then picked up speed and slammed my camera into the tripod.  Trouble shooting reveled that if I did not enable PPEC in EQMOD the mount would slew to the correct position.  If I enabled PPEC while imaging the mount would again slew my scope/camera into the tripod.  Has anyone had this issue?  Or even better, does anyone know why this is happening?  My short term solution is to stop using PPEC but I would like to understand what is happening.

#2 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio area, TX, U.S.

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:26 AM

Did you do a firmware update on your mount recently? A release from last month (3.13) had issues with PPEC, including bricking a few mounts that were trained with that version. If that’s the version on your mount, you should probably update to 3.14 ASAP.

#3 TAK346

TAK346

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:59 AM

Did you do a firmware update on your mount recently? A release from last month (3.13) had issues with PPEC, including bricking a few mounts that were trained with that version. If that’s the version on your mount, you should probably update to 3.14 ASAP.

No updates - if something works I do not like changing it ;-)  I will probably put the mount through periodic error training training again and see if that fixes the issue.  Thank you for the firmware info.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics