•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

On the “list” but…

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:30 PM

I am on the AP list and, of course, could be drawn for a Stowaway but no guarantees. Since they do not notify anyone until they finish a scope, the drawing could easily go into 2022.
While thinking about this I realized that I do not own a Takahashi. Now, I have more telescopes than a hound dog has fleas so I don’t need another. But I know if I got a call from AP I would very likely purchase a Stowaway. If Not drawn to purchase a stowaway I thought about getting one of a couple of Takahashis, either an FSQ 85 which would be about the cost of a Stowaway or, a Takahashi 100 FC/Dc or DF or… which would be less than either of the others. If you have been looking for telescopes any time recently I’m sure you have noted, as I have, almost no one has anything to sell. So, it could be a waiting game, being drawn for a stowaway or something comes up on the classifieds list for sale. All three are affordable but nothing more expensive than one of these. 

I really am not interested in anything else. I can either wait and see regarding the Stowaway or buy one of the Takahashis when/if it becomes available. I am leaning towards buying something.

visual only. Grab and go. Wide field views. No Astro-photography unless that comet that I know is coming shows up. No, it hasn’t been discovered yet but I know it’s out there!

What do you recommend?

JimP

• weis14 and teashea like this

#2 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:21 PM

Hello JimP,

If you are like me and have enough Astro Toys to keep you entertained, I would wait for the AP Stowaway. Get what you really want. If it's the I want to buy something now thing  (I sometimes, no I usually have this problem LOL) My Astro Toy account is about 3/4 the way to a Takahashi TSA 120 now,  so far I m being very good. The word on the street, is Takahashi is about 12 to 16 months out for new. There are so many more Takahashi's out there than Astro Physics scopes that I am sure that a preowned Takahashi's, will be much quicker. But who knows what will come around on the classifieds. There was a AP Stowaway that sold earlier this week on CN's Classifieds, so it does happen.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

• teashea likes this

#3 weis14

weis14

Viking 1

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three choices. I have a Stowaway and am biased towards it, but it is really a great scope for grab and go or for taking on trips in the car.  

#4 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:06 PM

I am on the AP list and, of course, could be drawn for a Stowaway but no guarantees. Since they do not notify anyone until they finish a scope, the drawing could easily go into 2022.
While thinking about this I realized that I do not own a Takahashi. Now, I have more telescopes than a hound dog has fleas so I don’t need another. But I know if I got a call from AP I would very likely purchase a Stowaway. If Not drawn to purchase a stowaway I thought about getting one of a couple of Takahashis, either an FSQ 85 which would be about the cost of a Stowaway or, a Takahashi 100 FC/Dc or DF or… which would be less than either of the others. If you have been looking for telescopes any time recently I’m sure you have noted, as I have, almost no one has anything to sell. So, it could be a waiting game, being drawn for a stowaway or something comes up on the classifieds list for sale. All three are affordable but nothing more expensive than one of these. 

I really am not interested in anything else. I can either wait and see regarding the Stowaway or buy one of the Takahashis when/if it becomes available. I am leaning towards buying something.

visual only. Grab and go. Wide field views. No Astro-photography unless that comet that I know is coming shows up. No, it hasn’t been discovered yet but I know it’s out there!

What do you recommend?

JimP

I have two FSQ85's and an FC100DC,DF and DZ.  They are all wonderful telescopes and I think you would like any of them.  

It is going to be interesting to see how long it takes Takahashi telescopes to become widely available.  The problem is that they are a small company and were pretty much at full capacity before Covid.  I think they will have some telescopes becoming available over the next several months.  However, I suspect it will take two or three years before normal availability across the board.

• Jethro7 likes this

#5 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:20 AM

Jim,

Happy birthday first of all - the cake next to your display name betrayed you band2.sml.gif

I actually had the new Stowaway and sold it, as I saw no visual benefit Vs the Taks I used / use. I don't do imaging and I admit to being more of a Tak fanboi than AP fanboi, so it was an easy decision for me. 

I would recommend you get a pre-owned Tak, have fun with it and if and when you "get the call", you can easily sell the Tak at no loss and get the AP if that's what you want. The "problem" with Taks is the f7.5ish focal ratio, so a 4" Tak vs the 92mm f6.6 Stowaway does not show the same FOV. A 3" Tak does, but the aperture may not be enough for you.

I'll drop a suggestion: Consider placing a classifieds ad for a pre-owned Tak Sky 90 II. Get the Teleskop Service 2" field flattener and a diagonal that accepts replacing the diagonal-to-scope extension with the field flattener. You have nearly the same aperture, a nice flat field and even wider FOV than the Stowaway.

Either way, with whatever scope you end (AP or Tak), you know that they are so good that they will keep you happy!

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:13 AM

I'll drop a suggestion: Consider placing a classifieds ad for a pre-owned Tak Sky 90 II. Get the Teleskop Service 2" field flattener and a diagonal that accepts replacing the diagonal-to-scope extension with the field flattener. You have nearly the same aperture, a nice flat field and even wider FOV than the Stowaway.

Sky 90s are doublets.  Fluorite or not, it doesn't have the color correction of the Stowaway.  

Jon

• OldManSky likes this

#7 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:35 AM

I am well aware of that Jon!

Jim is interested in visual, hence my suggestion. A well executed doublet can be apochromatic for visual purposes. Per his initial post:

• Visual only
  • Grab & Go
  • Wide field view (hence low magnifications)
  • No AP

• zjc26138 and Ihtegla Sar like this

#8 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:36 AM

In any case, if nearly 3.5° TFOV is enough, a Takahashi FC100DC would do just fine. Very lightweight, extremely capable.

#9 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:40 AM

Happy birthday, Jim!

I'd wait for the Stowaway, if it doesn't come I'd either get a used Stowaway or a Tak TSA 102.

#10 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:04 PM

Jim,

Happy birthday first of all - the cake next to your display name betrayed you band2.sml.gif

I actually had the new Stowaway and sold it, as I saw no visual benefit Vs the Taks I used / use. I don't do imaging and I admit to being more of a Tak fanboi than AP fanboi, so it was an easy decision for me. 

I would recommend you get a pre-owned Tak, have fun with it and if and when you "get the call", you can easily sell the Tak at no loss and get the AP if that's what you want. The "problem" with Taks is the f7.5ish focal ratio, so a 4" Tak vs the 92mm f6.6 Stowaway does not show the same FOV. A 3" Tak does, but the aperture may not be enough for you.

Either way, with whatever scope you end (AP or Tak), you know that they are so good that they will keep you happy!

Before you purchase a Sky 90, be sure to do some heavy research.  There are some who are not so thrilled by the performance.

#11 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:05 PM

In any case, if nearly 3.5° TFOV is enough, a Takahashi FC100DC would do just fine. Very lightweight, extremely capable.

Yes, it is an excellent telescope.  And the FC100DZ is even better.

#12 RNSpeed

RNSpeed

Messenger

• Loc: San German, Puerto Rico

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:43 PM

I see it this way, for the Stowaway if you get drawn and make the deposit it would be a couple of months till you'll get the telescope. For a Takahashi there's also a wait time but no list and/or random drawing wit hopes of getting drawn. Just make a the order and wait.

Either way, just wait and use your current telescopes until you see any update from AP regarding the random drawing or any updates regarding Takahashi Telescopes being in stock. They're both excellent telescopes and you'll be happy with either one of them

#13 Markinspace

Markinspace

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:43 PM

While thinking about this I realized that I do not own a Takahashi. Now, I have more telescopes than a hound dog has fleas so I don’t need another. But I know if I got a call from AP I would very likely purchase a Stowaway. If Not drawn to purchase a stowaway I thought about getting one of a couple of Takahashis, either an FSQ 85 

What do you recommend?

JimP

One in stock here:

https://telescopes.n...nufacturer=5558

#14 gwlee

gwlee

Gemini

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:37 PM

I wanted an excellent 4” class scope for the same purposes Jim described, so I bought, an excellent 4” class mount from stock, and simultaneously put my name on the stowaway list, ordered an FC102DF, and started using the new mount with an inexpensive 72mm f6 scope I already owned while I waited for the call from AP or the scope to show up from Tak.

The call came first, so I canceled my Tak order, continued using the mount with my 72mm scope until the stowaway was delivered a few months later, and I put the Stowaway on the new mount. This strategy worked out well for me. Rather than a long wait, I got a long Christmas season. 

One thing didn’t work out as expected though. I planned to immediately replace the 72mm f6 scope with the Stowaway or the Tak. Instead it’s become my most used scope. It’s not the biggest or the best, but seems to be the most suitable for this observing site, so it’s still here two years later and gathering more photons than the Stowaway. Who woulda thunk it. 

Edited by gwlee, 18 September 2021 - 12:46 AM.

#15 sw196060

sw196060

Apollo

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:25 AM

Just curious, what mount did you use??

#16 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:44 AM

I just purchased the FSQ 85! Wide angle visuals. 

JimP

• payner, nicknacknock and teashea like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics