•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What scope with an ASI178 mono for DSO’s

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Squigly1965

Squigly1965

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central California

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:52 PM

Would an imaging Newtonian or a 70’s or smaller apo work. I already purchased the camera and hoping to find a way to get so DSO’s with it. 
thanks for any help

#2 Squigly1965

Squigly1965

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:33 PM

I'll try and post this question in Beginners Astrophotography. Maybe get lucky there

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:34 AM

You'll also want a decent quality mount for DSO AP. What kind  of budget do you have for scope and mount?

#4 Squigly1965

Squigly1965

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:42 AM

Hoping to round out not far from $1k. Been scouring the classifieds and other used sources hoping to find stuff. But kinda got paralysis from analysis. If I gotta buy 1 part and save for the next then that's on the table also. Just don't want it to be a year before I can buy the next part lol

#5 Mark Lovik

Mark Lovik

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:54 AM

I use the AT72EDii with the ASI 178mm camera.  It's really nice for EAA.  The sensor size is just big enough to be used for polar alignment in SharpCap and will generate nice DSO images inside a couple of minutes.  I purchased this combination as a low cost entry for galaxy season and could see most brighter galaxies within 10 seconds.  Had reasonable EAA views for these galaxies within 5 minutes, and could detect magnitude 17 objects (dim background galaxies) in Bortle 5 skies.  This combination will support shorter stacked EAA exposures (5-15 seconds) so you can avoid the initial costs of guide scope and cameras.

- 0.66x0.99 degree field of view without reducer.

Adding the reducer is recommended for imaging galaxies.  You increase the field of view of the camera, and reasonable galaxy images are generated even faster.

You can use longer total exposure times to get astrophotography class monochrome images.

If you want to image in color with this camera, then your mileage may vary.  

If you buy the 178MC color camera, you can image galaxies, but decent views will take significantly longer exposures times compared to the 178mm.

Example early DSO Images - AST72EDii, no reducer, AT178mm camera:  https://www.cloudyni...lbum/16799-eaa/

With dedicated reducer corrector:  https://www.cloudyni...74-updated-eaa/

Edited by Mark Lovik, 18 September 2021 - 01:03 AM.

• PatrickVt likes this

#6 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:44 AM

I use my CFF 92 or TV 76 refractors.   I did M16, Blue Snowball and Jupiter with the 178.  My neighbor let me borrow his color 178, used for Blue Snowball and Jupiter. I did M16 in my mono.  All of these were with the 92.

Attached Thumbnails

• JUPITER 92 BARLOW 9-12 REGI.jpg
  • BLUE SNOWBALL  NO PROCESS Stack_76frames_782s_WithDisplayStretch.jpg
  • M16   Stack_383frames_7257s_WithDisplayStretch  RESIZE.jpg

#7 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:36 AM

Hoping to round out not far from $1k. Been scouring the classifieds and other used sources hoping to find stuff. But kinda got paralysis from analysis. If I gotta buy 1 part and save for the next then that's on the table also. Just don't want it to be a year before I can buy the next part lol

That is pretty tight for a decent mount and OTA. I have an AT72EDII and use it for EAA on DSOs, but that would take up almost half of your budget alone, and a good mount is likely to be more.

#8 Squigly1965

Squigly1965

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:45 AM

I know it's not ideal but I picked up a WO ZS 61. I'll probably need to stick to planets for a bit atleast until I can upgrade the camera

So now looking for a mount. Any suggestions?

#9 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:04 PM

I know it's not ideal but I picked up a WO ZS 61. I'll probably need to stick to planets for a bit atleast until I can upgrade the camera

So now looking for a mount. Any suggestions?

This depends on you,  what you want to do, how far do you intend to go.  For now, with the refractor and camera you have just about any light weight equatorial mount would do.  There is alot of people who would recommend an Ioptron or Skywatcher mounts,  me, I like Losmandy mounts.

Here is my opinion on mounts,  if you are looking to do true DSO imaging - meaning long exposure and guiding you'll need a minimum of $2000 for an accurate, stable, repeatable, reliable mount.   For EAA style imaging, this includes DSO objects you can get with your refractor and camera, you can get away with spending less than $2000.  Just get something that can handle twice the weight of your scope and camera.   Lower priced mounts may inflate the specs of their mount.  You will notice from the low end it is mostly load capacity,  middle to high it is also specs on tracking  RMS peak to peak before PEC is applied.

It is my belief, that a $1000 to $1200 mount should cover you for a while doing planetary imaging and Sharpcap Live Stack, EAA style, DSO imaging.   Spend time and educate yourself on mounts,  alot of knowledgeable people here.  Try to learn why you want this mount and not a mount like that.  Learn the differences.  A mount can be your best friend or your worst nightmare.

Check, Astronomy Tools, with the 178 camera and that wo zs61 you can get a bunch of stuff.  That EAA imaging is nice.

Joe

https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

#10 Squigly1965

Squigly1965

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:39 PM

Would something like an AstroTrac be sufficient? 

#11 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:13 PM

Does it track by itself??   If you are imaging, how are you following the target??  There are trackers like this out there, who makes them I do not know.  If it were me, I would want somethings that can follow what I am imaging.  Here is one, there are others.     Joe

https://optcorp.com/...ro-full-package

#12 Squigly1965

Squigly1965

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:24 PM

https://www.adorama.com/attt320x.html

Is what I was referring 

#13 Squigly1965

Squigly1965

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:02 PM

So I guess the answer is yes. It will track.

I'm just not familiar enough with everything. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. 

#14 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:32 PM

So I guess the answer is yes. It will track.

I'm just not familiar enough with everything. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. 

This is why I cannot stress this enough,  Educate and patience.  Spend time and educate yourself on mounts,  alot of knowledgeable people here.  Try to learn why you want this mount and not a mount like that.  Learn the differences.  A mount can be your best friend or your worst nightmare.

Astronomy is not cheap, and when you make mistakes buying stuff..the price really goes up.

Did you notice that this mount is not available, atleast from Adorama.   

Somehow, you need to make sure the mount you get will do what you want and do what you need.

I appreciate the fact you appreciate me answering your questions, it is my pleasure and I enjoy helping out.  I just want to give you the best possible answer for your questions and best possible advice.

Look at peoples photos of what you want to take,  see what they use and ask why they chose the equipment they did..  By taking the time to educate yourself, you will be practicing patience.  In the end you are rewarded with something that works and works rather well.   

Put the question out there, anyone using a star tracker and a small refractor to image with,  I am sure there are a bunch of people who do it.   Beginning DSO astrophotography,  EAA.  Someone is doing it.

Good luck,   Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics