•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help needed to identifty a spot on Jupiter's equatorial band

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HarveyDeckAstro

HarveyDeckAstro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Short Hills, New Jersey

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:29 PM

So I imaged Jupiter on UTC 2021-09-15 from 1h29m to 2h30m. After processing the images today, I noticed a spot on the deep brown equatorial band on the northern hemisphere, as shown with arrows in the image below. It rotates with the Jupiter, so I don't think it is an artifact. The thing is, there was no such a spot at a week ago, as shown also in the image for comparison. It looks like that the spot newly appeared. Imagines were done with Meade 8", 2X Barlow, ZWO ADC.

I have imaged Jupiter only for a couple of  nights since mid August, so my experience is very limited. I would like to ask more experienced planet imagers if this kind of appearance of a feature common for Jupiter. After all, we are looking at the atmosphere. If so, what would this spot be? Perhaps someone has a clearer image of Jupiter at roughly the same time?

Harvey

Attached Thumbnails

• JupComp.jpg

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Skylab

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:52 PM

It is not the spot that was hit by a space rock on Monday.  

#3 HarveyDeckAstro

HarveyDeckAstro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:21 PM

It is not. Damian Peach posted a really clear photo of the impact spot the day after and there was no trace of the hit at the impact site. Here I am just curious about what the spot in my image is.

#4 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:29 PM

I usually look at images taken with larger scopes to confirm or see more clearly features in my own. Here's one:

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11365179

Looks like an outbreak of some sort.  Nothing unusual, but worth watching to see how it develops.

Edited by KiwiRay, 16 September 2021 - 10:34 PM.

• HarveyDeckAstro likes this

#5 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:40 PM

The last time I imaged Jupiter was on Sept. 11, and though my images weren't very good, the feature you got was not there that night. I think you caught some sort of outbreak, not an impact scar given I have seen the ones created back in 2009 and 1994. They didn't look anything like this feature.

Taras

#6 HarveyDeckAstro

HarveyDeckAstro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for these suggestions! It is clearly there in the more clean image from C11. Jupiter is interesting that it’s very dynamic. I was quite surprised by the appearance of the spot. Hopefully I can observe it more in coming days.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics