•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX50 main mirror "arrow"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sniuk

Sniuk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Barcelona, Catalonia

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:28 AM

Hi all, 

a while back I dissassambled my Lx50 8" SCT for cleaning.  

and when took off the main mirror I saw this arrow on the back... and wonder..

where should it point to ? In the past when I wiped a bit without taking off the mirror

it seemed to rotate a bit..  But now I wonder, where should it point? To the Focuser axis ? 

to the corrector plate mark on the front of the tube? 

LX50 Mirror.jpg

I'm having very soft images even though My colimation seems good. 

Any ideas? 

thanks! 

Carles. 

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:37 AM

To the same place it pointed when it was put there, or failing that, the same place it pointed when you dismantled it. I dont know if theres a standard for where arrows point in this context.

• Sniuk likes this

#3 Sniuk

Sniuk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:56 AM

To the same place it pointed when it was put there, or failing that, the same place it pointed when you dismantled it. I dont know if theres a standard for where arrows point in this context.

Thanks for your reply, 

but I don't know when it pointed at originally, that's why I ask.  I know for certain that the mirror was "loose" and even without dismantle it could rotate (as mentioned, just by wiping it with a cleaning fluid and cloth, I know it moved.) 

if the arrow is there, must be for a reason... since the corrector plate and main mirror have to be well aligned. I have a mark in the OTA by the corrector plate, so that is not a problem, but if the mirror is rotated, then how do I know how to align it ? 

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for your reply, 

but I don't know when it pointed at originally, that's why I ask.  I know for certain that the mirror was "loose" and even without dismantle it could rotate (as mentioned, just by wiping it with a cleaning fluid and cloth, I know it moved.) 

if the arrow is there, must be for a reason... since the corrector plate and main mirror have to be well aligned. I have a mark in the OTA by the corrector plate, so that is not a problem, but if the mirror is rotated, then how do I know how to align it ? 

Yeah, my reply wasnt really helpful, sorry, I was just trying to make the point that we dont know. Unless there is some widespread standard for this, which I doubt. I put marks and arrows on my stuff and even I cant remember what it signified 6 months later.

If you were marking the alignment, what would you point it to? Surely the most obvious and sensible thing.....

#5 Sniuk

Sniuk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:40 AM

Yeah, my reply wasnt really helpful, sorry, I was just trying to make the point that we dont know. Unless there is some widespread standard for this, which I doubt. I put marks and arrows on my stuff and even I cant remember what it signified 6 months later.

If you were marking the alignment, what would you point it to? Surely the most obvious and sensible thing.....

Well, I don't know, I was hoping someone with experience cleaning/dismantlying Meade SCT would perhaps know.

I would guess is the foccuser knob.. and I've aligned it like so, but not happy with how the images looks. 

• happylimpet likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics