•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Lens on a Budget

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mateuszz

Mateuszz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:56 AM

I'm looking to get a budget lens for around $200 that I can use until I can get around to getting a Rokinon 135mm f2 later in the year. I have a Ha modified Nikon d5300. I've been using zoom lenses for an old camera but they are becoming frustrating to use.

I was thinking of getting either of these 2:

Rokinon 85mm f1.4

Nikon 50mm f1.8g

My concern with the Rokinon 85mm is that since the focal length is close to the 135mm, I will never use it again once I can buy the 135mm. Does anyone have experience with either of these lenses that can suggest which one is the better performer?

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:37 AM

Personally I've used the 1.8G (slightly stopped down).  Can make lovely images.  This was an early one.  Look Ma,no mount (just a tripod),  100X5"  F2.8.

https://www.astrobin...393/C/?nc=&nce=

• petert913 and chili555 like this

#3 Mateuszz

Mateuszz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:20 AM

Personally I've used the 1.8G (slightly stopped down).  Can make lovely images.  This was an early one.  Look Ma,no mount (just a tripod),  100X5"  F2.8.

https://www.astrobin...393/C/?nc=&nce=

That look's nice. Think I'll end up getting the 50mm. Seems like there are a lot of different possibilities to frame multiple targets with it.

#4 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:32 AM

I would suggest skipping any new DSLR lens. One huge advantage to the Nikons is their ability to also use the older F mount lenses. You could easily pick up a manual focus fixed focal length Nikkor lens made in the 80's for well under your budget on eBay. 

You probably could find a Nikkor 135mm f/2 AIS lens for a bit over your stated budget. A mint 50mm for about 100. 

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:48 AM

I would suggest skipping any new DSLR lens. One huge advantage to the Nikons is their ability to also use the older F mount lenses. You could easily pick up a manual focus fixed focal length Nikkor lens made in the 80's for well under your budget on eBay. 

You probably could find a Nikkor 135mm f/2 AIS lens for a bit over your stated budget. A mint 50mm for about 100. 

It's a good alternative, if you do some research, and choose a good vendor.  I don't trust ebay.  There are a number of established camera stores that sell use Nikon lenses for reasonable prices, and I trust their description of quality.  That's how I got my 200mm F4.  The 50mm I bought new.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics