•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

FireCapture vs. SharpCap Pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:46 AM

I have SharpCap with the Pro license, which is about to expire.

I initially used it for polar alignment, but since I currently have/use iPolar I don't need that function.  Although I rarely do planetary, it is nice to be able to capture the Moon, Saturn, Jupiter, etc from time to time.

I would like the ability to capture and stack in real time when we (someday) get back to having public star parties, so having having the ability to track and guide deep space objects would also be important to me.

If I switch to FireCapture, will I be losing anything that I had in SharpCap?

#2 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:48 AM

Can't say.  I started with Firecapture and never left.  I can say that we've seen sharpcap adding some features lately that have been a part of firecapture since two years ago when I started using it.

#3 TorstenEdelmann

TorstenEdelmann

Viking 1

• Loc: Landsberg, Germany

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:13 AM

so having having the ability to track and guide deep space objects would also be important to me.

FC can do live-stacks but not track/align deep sky objects so this is what you would loose from what I can tell.

Torsten

#4 RickD_99

RickD_99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Alabama USA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:20 AM

I'm one of those that started out with FireCapture and liked it to the point that I sent Torsten a $50 donation even though he graciously makes the app free to the community. However once I upgraded from my beginner Newt reflector to my C6 and C9.25 SCTs this year I found it almost impossible to get planetary targets on the imaging chip of my ASI290MC using FireCapture, whereas once I switched to SharpCap Pro 4.0 I found it <much> easier to get the target on the chip. Why there is such a difference between the two apps in regards to centering targets in my setup remains a mystery to me but it is what it is. In SharpCap I love how, once you have acquired the target using the largest ROI available (1920x1080 in the case of my 290MC), you can then switch to a smaller ROI and SharpCap includes a mouse movable tool that allows you to move the preview window around the imaging chip to recenter the target. That tool alone makes SharpCap my preferred choice between the two apps going forward...

• Dynan and descott12 like this

#5 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:40 AM

I'm a complete novice with both FireCapture and SharpCap. I've used SharpCap more but think the ADC tool in FireCapture is much better (more intuitive and easier to use).

EDITED to say that the ADC has become an important part of my kit and it's only effective if adjusted properly so I'll be spending more time with FireCapture. I'm also not tracking.

And RickD_99 points out another good SharpCap feature which I do use quite a bit.

Edited by MarMax, 17 September 2021 - 11:47 AM.

#6 Borodog

Borodog

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:30 PM

Live stacking in SharpCap blows FireCapture away. 

#7 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:37 PM

As always, this site rocks!

You guys have given me great info, and make it easy to renew the license and stick with what I know.

Cheers!

#8 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:02 PM

Rick (with humour but no malice aforethought! grin.gif ) your issue is a complete mystery to me also! lol.gif  - FireCapture without a single reservation for me btw!!! waytogo.gif

• RickD_99 likes this

#9 RickD_99

RickD_99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Alabama USA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:33 PM

Rick (with humour but no malice aforethought! grin.gif ) your issue is a complete mystery to me also! lol.gif  - FireCapture without a single reservation for me btw!!! waytogo.gif

Isn't it great when noobs like myself come out of the woodwork and create new mysteries out of thin air? lol.gif  All kidding aside I'm sure my "mystery" is a toxic combination of poor tracking (read AVX mount), the Barlow in my image train, and perhaps a not so great calibration of my Telrad finder. But if that's the case there should be no difference at all between FireCapture and SharpCap assuming all else is equal right? confused1.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics