•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cooled Photometry Camera - What would you choose?

CMOS EAA Solar Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:05 PM

Hi All:

I'm attempting to graduate into more serious Variable star and perhaps Exoplanet work. I am considering the following two cameras so far but I'd really appreciate any insights from the folks in this Forum.

1. ASI294 MM Cooled -  https://astronomy-im...roduct/asi294mm

2. ASI183 MM Cooled -   https://astronomy-im...i183mm-pro-mono

One advantage of the 294 is it's 63k full well depth. Additionally, I have the MC, uncooled, version of this and it's been great.

An advantage (I think) of the 183 is the smaller pixels but the well depth is only 15k.

I have recently acquired a Chroma, Bessell V filter which has been approved by AAVSO and will be getting a B filter before long. These should allow me to determine the transformation coefficients and, with a bit more practice, I will be able to submit more accurate data.

I'd really welcome any thoughts from you on the relative benefits of these two cameras - plus any other camera options you feel I should know about. Also, any thoughts on the suitability for these cameras for other potential future uses, eg, Spectroscopy, Solar, NEO, etc. 

Thank you!

Gary

Edited by GaryShaw, 17 September 2021 - 01:07 PM.

#2 robin_astro

robin_astro

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:28 PM

I have recently acquired a Chroma, Bessell V filter which has been approved by AAVSO 

That's interesting. The published passband shape of the Chroma filters shows sharp cutoffs so quite different from Bessell. Are there any published details of the approval process ?

Thanks

Robin

#3 gregj888

gregj888

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:04 AM

Gary, have you thought about a QHY-268m?   

16 bit, 51 Ke well....

Greg

#4 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:15 AM

Thank you Greg. It looks great so on the list it goes….probably at #3 position due to the $2200 pricing.

Gary

• gregj888 likes this

#5 wizer

wizer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SoCal, USA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:39 PM

An advantage (I think) of the 183 is the smaller pixels but the well depth is only 15k.

Note that the 294mm can be used in Bin1 with a pixel of 2.315 yet this lowers well depth to 14k and 12bit ADC (instead of 14bit).

#6 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:33 PM

My advice is to get a camera without amp glow if you can. Amp glow signal complicates calibration and precludes the use of bias frames to scale darks. You can properly calibrate a CMOS mono that has amp glow but avoiding amp glow makes calibration easier. Of course 16bit is desirable, but you can do good photometry with a 12bit camera.

Ed

Edited by Ed Wiley, 21 September 2021 - 10:37 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CMOS, EAA, Solar, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics