•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Walking noise with skyguider pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spangz

Spangz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:11 PM

So I have pretty severe walking noise in my images that's making it extremely hard to process. I have a skyguider pro and I can't properly dither how should I go about getting rid of the walking noise and is it worth trying to dither with just the ra axis

Edited by Spangz, 17 September 2021 - 04:11 PM.

#2 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:41 PM

So I have pretty severe walking noise in my images that's making it extremely hard to process. I have a skyguider pro and I can't properly dither how should I go about getting rid of the walking noise and is it worth trying to dither with just the ra axis

Dithering is not the only solution nor is it a solution to walking noise ...

#3 Jay6879

Jay6879

Ranger 4

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:47 PM

Dithering is not the only solution nor is it a solution to walking noise ...

...ok, do you have any suggestions on what could be done? 

Edited by Jay6879, 17 September 2021 - 04:49 PM.

#4 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:55 PM

The cheapest way to reduce noise is to use Dark frame calibration. It is unclear from the previous thread if you are doing that. These frames need to be as closely matched in temperature as they can be. This likely will not eliminate the problem but it can greatly reduce it.

The expensive solution is modern equatorial mount that is properly guided. Even better with a cooled camera that has less of this noise to begin with. 

• Jay6879 likes this

#5 murray8144

murray8144

Explorer 1

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:07 PM

This has a slight chance of helping you.  I've progressed through the following setups and had the listed experience with walking noise.  These results were despite extensive darks.

1-Started with a Star Adventurer, no guiding, no dithering (so just tracking and hoping for the best) - no walking noise

2-Went to an HEQ-5 with 2-axis guiding, 2-axis dithering (via ASIair) - no walking noise

3-Shifted back to the Star Adventurer, but now with RA guiding and RA dithering (via the ASIair) - and had walking noise

4-now on a CEM-26 with 2-axis guiding, 2-axis dithering (via the ASIair) - no walking noise

so my conclusion was that some aspect of "progressing" to guiding and/or dithering on the SA was causing the noise. unfortunately I bailed for the CEM-26 before I could prove or disprove this theory.

Edited by murray8144, 17 September 2021 - 09:08 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics