•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NPR Morning Edition segment on light pollution

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Starlady

Starlady

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:00 PM

Wondered what people here thought of this. 

"Pittsburgh Wants You To See Constellations When You Look Up At The Night Sky"
September 16, 2021, 5:10 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/...t-the-night-sky

13 million people heard it. I think a big part of light pollution mitigation is education, so anything that can reach that many ears seems like a step in the right direction.  

#2 ram812

ram812

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:22 PM

ANY thing folks can do will help...there are several cities in the U.S. that are finding this out. Now if we can figure out how to mitigate all the leftover light pollution with better filters. Problem is no one filter does it all...too many different types of goofy lights out there🤨

CS, Ralph😁

Oops, I almost forgot,welcome.gif to Cloudy Nights! (I seen it was your first post, Starlady😉!

Edited by ram812, 17 September 2021 - 07:36 PM.

#3 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:26 PM

13 million people heard it. I think a big part of light pollution mitigation is education, so anything that can reach that many ears seems like a step in the right direction.  

Paraphrase:  "Everybody talks about light pollution, no one does anything about it."  I once suggested to a city counselor that they might save energy by installing reflective shields on streetlights (as well as mitigate light pollution).  Their response?  "We have plenty of power."

#4 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:26 AM

Just give us a hint, tell us up front or whatever how much it will cost to make the corrections in amoungst all the prioritized costs in life  Its a great thought about something that should never have happened in the first place  Its funny though, as with many other issues, when these liteing changes were planned way back ........ the concerned citizens of the world said very little to dissuade the powers that be, to point out to them the concerns but now as an afterthought ...........  I guess they were too busy back when worrying, crying about other disasters that would make the world worse place to live  Maybe I'm wrong, thats why I'm just going to keep looking up     PS  ' On the sunny side of life ' as the old song goes, lol

#5 RLK1

RLK1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:09 PM

Just give us a hint, tell us up front or whatever how much it will cost to make the corrections in amoungst all the prioritized costs in life  Its a great thought about something that should never have happened in the first place  Its funny though, as with many other issues, when these liteing changes were planned way back ........ the concerned citizens of the world said very little to dissuade the powers that be, to point out to them the concerns but now as an afterthought ...........  I guess they were too busy back when worrying, crying about other disasters that would make the world worse place to live  Maybe I'm wrong, thats why I'm just going to keep looking up     PS  ' On the sunny side of life ' as the old song goes, lol

"Just give us a hint, tell us up front or whatever how much it will cost to make the corrections..."

Obviously, it's being considered by the city council in Pittsburg so budgetary costs will certainly be a consideration as it would with any project before a council. If it were so prohibitive to install some shielding, it likely wouldn't be up for consideration in the first place. Many cities and towns with light pollution ordinances have made modifications to their lighting which were neither prohibitive in cost nor difficult to implement. 

#6 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:16 PM

"Just give us a hint, tell us up front or whatever how much it will cost to make the corrections..."

Obviously, it's being considered by the city council in Pittsburg so budgetary costs will certainly be a consideration as it would with any project before a council. If it were so prohibitive to install some shielding, it likely wouldn't be up for consideration in the first place. Many cities and towns with light pollution ordinances have made modifications to their lighting which were neither prohibitive in cost nor difficult to implement. 

With the money flow being disrupted through out the world right now, with tight budgets that follow I say Good Luck  Keep checking the back burner, lol

#7 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:58 PM

The money flow throughout the world, contrary to what you've stated, is projected to grow: "GDP in advanced markets as a group is forecast to grow by 5.8% in 2021, followed by a 4.2% increase in 2022."

"Global trade is expected to grow by 6% in 2021, followed by a similar amount in 2022." 

Given your comments in post #4, it's evident more people are concerned about the preservation of the night sky than you. Perhaps you would be happier pursuing another hobby...

I was about to say the same thing  Good Luck in all your endeavors  And Clear Skize

#8 unleaded55

unleaded55

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:41 PM

With the money flow being disrupted through out the world right now, with tight budgets that follow I say Good Luck  Keep checking the back burner, lol

Business priorities should only cause benefit to the local government, as it exists as the community (as a tax base).  However, things like Infrastructure that everyone uses, like electricity, water, and roadways are considered growth expenditures that not only impact the tax base, and lighting (or lack of it) also affects quality of life.  As a business owner, I am sensitive to my employees and their needs and what the want.  If I see a non responsible local government flaunt their power because of costs associated with the community, I remind the of what a greater loss would come if I (we) decided our worth was not worth our staying.  I know first hand that loss of revenue due to poor planning costs more than spending the extra to keep the people and business here.  You need to think beyond just surviving.

#9 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 18 September 2021 - 05:45 PM

Business priorities should only cause benefit to the local government, as it exists as the community (as a tax base).  However, things like Infrastructure that everyone uses, like electricity, water, and roadways are considered growth expenditures that not only impact the tax base, and lighting (or lack of it) also affects quality of life.  As a business owner, I am sensitive to my employees and their needs and what the want.  If I see a non responsible local government flaunt their power because of costs associated with the community, I remind the of what a greater loss would come if I (we) decided our worth was not worth our staying.  I know first hand that loss of revenue due to poor planning costs more than spending the extra to keep the people and business here.  You need to think beyond just surviving.

If you think that the brightness of street lighting that some perceive as being too bright, when it comes budget time and the managing of the tax payers dollars as a community whole is top priority then as I said 'Good Luck' Do you think that every community member feels the same way about street lighting intensity enough to spend taxpayer dollars over other more pressing matters, do they really care  I assume there have been local poles soliciting peoples feelings, their thoughts on this issue

#10 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 18 September 2021 - 05:51 PM

Folks, the OP asked a simple question about thoughts on the link provided.  This thread has gone off track.  If it doesn't return to the topic at hand, the thread will be locked.

#11 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 19 September 2021 - 07:21 AM

It sounds great but is there an election coming up in the next 6 months or so

#12 unleaded55

unleaded55

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:09 AM

If you think that the brightness of street lighting that some perceive as being too bright, when it comes budget time and the managing of the tax payers dollars as a community whole is top priority then as I said 'Good Luck' Do you think that every community member feels the same way about street lighting intensity enough to spend taxpayer dollars over other more pressing matters, do they really care  I assume there have been local poles soliciting peoples feelings, their thoughts on this issue

Actually your basis is a fool's errant, as most of the community and my work staff are ecologically minded, which does include lighting. The street maintenance, bridges, and even laying new water mains were taken care of throughout our community as the result of the US infrastructure economics. Our community grows. What about yours?  Are you still living in the 50's?

#13 Delta608

Delta608

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:41 AM

Actually your basis is a fool's errant, as most of the community and my work staff are ecologically minded, which does include lighting. The street maintenance, bridges, and even laying new water mains were taken care of throughout our community as the result of the US infrastructure economics. Our community grows. What about yours?  Are you still living in the 50's?

Fools errant. What about yours ? Are you still living the the 50's? Nicely put comrade, comply or else...

#14 Starlady

Starlady

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:21 AM

Paraphrase:  "Everybody talks about light pollution, no one does anything about it."  I once suggested to a city counselor that they might save energy by installing reflective shields on streetlights (as well as mitigate light pollution).  Their response?  "We have plenty of power."

Emphasis on "once."

#15 Starlady

Starlady

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:24 AM

It sounds great but is there an election coming up in the next 6 months or so

Yes, Pittsburgh's current mayor will leave office in January. He plans to have the contract signed and the work on the new low temp, shielded LEDs started before he leaves office. I don't think there's much the new mayor can do to reverse that, even if he wanted to. 

#16 Starlady

Starlady

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:36 AM

There is currently a poll for thoughts about the streetlights for City of Pittsburgh residents only (closes Sept 30): https://engage.pitts...ov/streetlights

A lot of information on that page, even if you can't take the poll. Give it a look.

The administration has been transparent about wanting to switch to lower maintenance and lower usage cost LEDs for a decade or more. I think most city residents are on board with it. I'm not trying to generalize this to everyone everywhere -- can't you be happy for one city who understands the issues and is committed to doing the right thing (as far as light pollution goes)? I heard that DC reached out to the Pittsburgh officials to talk about following suit with dark sky ordinances. This could be the start of something wonderful. 

#17 Starlady

Starlady

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:44 AM

ANY thing folks can do will help...there are several cities in the U.S. that are finding this out. Now if we can figure out how to mitigate all the leftover light pollution with better filters. Problem is no one filter does it all...too many different types of goofy lights out there

CS, Ralph

Oops, I almost forgot,welcome.gif to Cloudy Nights! (I seen it was your first post, Starlady!

I think you are right that filters won't be the way to go in the future. Too many broad spectrum lights out there nowadays.

Thanks for the welcome, @ram812. I've used Cloudy Nights for years and have recommended it to so many people, but I am non-confrontational, so honestly I won't be posting too much more. It doesn't seem like the place for me. (Although, wow, the moderators sure swooped in fast!)

Carpe Noctum. 

#18 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 19 September 2021 - 10:01 AM

I agree. This is exciting stuff! There are already a few smaller communities with light pollution ordinances out there.  But to effect real change, it's going to take larger cities such as Pittsburgh to get on board.  And if large numbers of people there are then able to enjoy the night sky, the word could quickly spread and lead to changes in other urban areas.

#19 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 19 September 2021 - 10:19 AM

If membership wishes to discuss politics, please go elsewhere.  A warning was placed about the thread getting into politics, but obviously was ignored. lock.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics