•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Night in City With OVNI-B Using a Filter Wheel In All Modes!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 jprideaux

jprideaux

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 05:36 PM

Hi Bobo99, 

Mort,

Even though I have not participated in this tread, I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your posts and explanation (and pictures) for your experience with your NV device.  

Personally, I am still in the stage of trying to convince myself to take the spurge to buy a night-vision device.  I may be 6 months away but your posts are great for me to learn and visualize how all the parts work together.

• Mort H and cnoct like this

#27 Mort H

Mort H

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:48 PM

You are very welcome!

I feel like discovering this world of NV has been one of the best things ever for me.  I wish everyone could experience it in the same way I'm able to.  It's unfortunate that it's so expensive to play in this space.  Especially duplicating my kit, the cost would not be feasible for many folks.  It would have been very hard for me (financially) to do earlier in life.

I had a discussion recently with my younger brother (16 years younger), he lives in Minneapolis with his beautiful wife and 3 kids.  Like me, he's had a love for astronomy since he was a kid.  As a teen he built his own binocular telescope, also has a larger Dob than I do, so he's not really hurting that bad.  All things being equal, he would love to have more time to observe, like I do, and he would love to have my Binotron 27 (expensive), and he would love to have my NV rig (uber expensive).  Family, job, and finances currently put him in a different place in life than me.

I told him to stay healthy, I had to wait until I was over 60 years old for it all to come together for me, there will be plenty of time later in life for more observing and for more toys like NV.  He agrees completely, and is at peace!

For those who are at a point in life where they are ready to take the plunge, I've tried to dole out my two cents' worth in a couple of recent replies to people who PM'd me.  I later felt like I ended up sounding like an advertisement for my specific device.  And yet I surely feel like the specifics of my kit -- everything from the bino view, the continuous manual gain control, the FOM in excess of 2600, the flexibility in modes (including prime focus) -- ARE a big reason why I'm having such a good time with it right out of the gate.  Those things might not matter as much to everyone else, and that's cool, we all have diverse likes and tastes.  But for ME, I feel like those things are a big deal.  What do I know really.  I just know I LIKE the kit I have.  I like it a lot.  100% satisfied.

Also I have noticed that many folks end up buying a first NV device, then (because they are not completely satisfied with what they have) they end up buying another at some point, and maybe even upgrading that too.  That seems kind of expensive too.

In the final analysis though, probably any NV is better than no NV!  In my reading here on CN I've seen that many folks take a somewhat long, somewhat painful, and somewhat circuitous route in cobbling together their NV kit (though for some folks the process itself of cobbling together kit can be part of the fun).  But I don't think I've ever seen any posts where somebody -- no matter their specific gear -- expressed regret for getting into NV!

• jprideaux likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics