•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mercury 14 Sept 2021 in IR

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:37 PM

Hi All,

Poor seeing and clouds have continued to hamper my Gas Giant work here in Canberra so I have been working on the inner planets, currently near maximum elongation.

Here is a further attempt on Mercury, where I did three videos of three minutes, then synthesized the resulting sharpened and stacked images in WJ.  There isn't a perfect congruence between the result and the WJ simulation, but it is my best attempt on this difficult subject so far.

Regards

Mark

Mercury 14 Sep 2021.png

• Sunspot, bill w, John_K and 24 others like this

#2 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:43 PM

Are we really seeing individual craters discerned close to the terminator? It's amazing what can be imaged!

• Lacaille likes this

#3 Ittaku

Ittaku

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:03 PM

Super work, Mark! Every mercury capture I've done I've thrown out.
  • Lacaille likes this

#4 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:07 PM

That's great work, Mark.  I really like that image.

Best wishes, and thanks for sharing.

Dan

• Lacaille likes this

#5 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:14 PM

Hi Deepwoods,

Thanks! I wouldn't think so, however, given that even the high albedo craters and markings don't get picked up entirely accurately in my image. 

Regards

Mark

#6 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:25 PM

Great work Mark,

Looks like you have a good match for surface features in your results!

I was hoping to use your matched Mercury image as a template to give some meaning to my own enlarged  evening Mercury image from the same day,......... but it is very telling that I cannot tell whether a rotation or a reflection is needed for my image to match the orientation of your image!

Not just the poor seeing but early blanketing clouds have been a big issue here lately so it is good to see you managed to pull out some decent results smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-09-14-0818_5-U-IR-Mercury_l6_ap5 low wlt for 2000 frames IR 742 150x CN.png

• Lacaille and TheUser like this

#7 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:45 PM

Hi Ross, thanks!  Yours actually shows promise but you may need longer video runs at higher FPS and smaller ROIs. As you know it barely rotates so you can do long videos without invoking WJ.   You have to sharpen it quite a lot, but then find a non-destructive way of managing the diffraction ring(s) in post processing.  Can't remember if you have PS/Lightroom?

Mark

• MisterDan and Foc like this

#8 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:03 PM

No I do not have photoshop.  My image above was near 6.20pm and Mercury was dropping like a stone with each video getting quickly worse in quality.  I tried yesterday around 1pm before the clouds arrived but the glare and haze and perhaps the thermals, hot tube effects on collimation and seeing defeated me in even finding Mercury and although I managed to catch Venus I could not get a result to approach my previous efforts.  And all these factors just again show how good your image was!

#9 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:30 AM

Mark, your Mercury image is stunningly sharp. I haven’t seen one this sharp before. Well done.
Cheers Paul
  • Lacaille likes this

#10 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:35 AM

Thanks Paul, that is very kind!

Hi again Ross, I have just been reviewing my files and I had a much worse image than yours from 7th Sept, despite 2 x 3 min videos at 120 fps.  Then things improved on 11th, and I was luckier still on 14th. So as ever, it is down to persistence!

Meanwhile, my Jupiters look like jelly fish these days.

Regards

Mark

• Foc likes this

#11 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Vanguard

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:30 AM

It's always good to see serious attempts at Mercury and your skills and equipment are certainly well within the range needed for great results, but I see this as a blend of true features and limb ringing issues. With Mercury 7 arcseconds in angular diameter at the time, one can get an idea of the limit of true resolution vs. noise.

The near terminator feature that looks like the best candidate for being a crater in the north is indeed near a real crater, but it's position is off by about 2x the diameter of real crater itself --- enough to mean it's a chance noise feature. However I have no doubt that you've captured the bright crater Debussy and it's immediate bright surrounds located about 1/5 of the way from the S pole and roughly 1/2 way from the sunward limb to what is the recorded near terminator areas.

Attached is a Mercury topo skin that I fitted for use with WinJUPOS. Sometimes it can be helpful in addition to the regular texture skin in identifying real features --- especially features near the day/night terminator.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mercury Topo WinJupos.jpg

Edited by John Boudreau, 18 September 2021 - 05:17 PM.

• eros312, deepwoods1, gfstallin and 2 others like this

#12 bill w

bill w

Voyager 1

• Loc: southern california

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:45 PM

great image

what was the altitude of mercury when you images this?

mid day or dusk?

Edited by bill w, 18 September 2021 - 12:46 PM.

• Lacaille likes this

#13 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the likes and kind comments!

Bill, thanks this was at dusk, with Mercury at about 30 degrees above the horizon.

John, thanks for the topo skin that I have saved under your name for future reference.  I think you are exactly right in what you say: there is probably a mix of real and artefactual features in my image.

Here is the image with the topo simulation and the original texture for comparison.  There is some, but not complete, overlap between the image and the simulations, and there is a sort of inner diffraction ring that confounds things. I think to push this any further I am going to need to image in daylight, as Ross (Foc) has been doing, to get longer runs at higher altitudes.

Thanks again for all the interest and enthusiasm.  We are in lockdown here for another month or so and this has been a good morale-booster!

Mark

Mercury 14 Sep 2021 revised.png

• John Boudreau, eros312, Foc and 1 other like this

#14 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:23 PM

I hope I did not carelessly bring Johns wroth down on you Mark!   When I said 'features'  I misspoke and really meant to convey quite loosely as lowly resolved large regions of bright and dark regions seemingly showing some correspondence by a crude eye view...such as that lighter area that you might be referring to as an inner diffraction ring...but John's useful allows a more exact comparison.  It is still a nice looking Mercury and to me again by eye with Johns surface skin  still looks to have lined up some macro regions nicely... and I feel any small triumph can be celebrated in our current tough local conditions.

Good luck with the daylight imaging,  in my case I think I just cooked the scope last time for little benefit having left it going equatorially all night but then having to wait until Mercury cleared the garage wall well into the day and had it cloud over well before the midday glare through haze subsided..  Having a fixed pier like yours is a big benefit for easier runs at it.  I think I just might finish my 40 page family photobook for my mum in Melbourne while conditions settle for less wind, less cloud and not rain every second day .   As they say in Europe, look forward to seeing even better Mercs from you!  laugh.gif

• Lacaille likes this

#15 Ron G.

Ron G.

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:17 PM

Very nice Mercury shot!

• Lacaille likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics