•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO asi2600mc pro on an Edge 8"...thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drcsurf

drcsurf

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida & Japan

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:21 AM

Was looking at picking a 2600 to use with my Edge 8 + .7x reducer. Was wondering if anybody has this same setup or any opinions (good or bad) about it. 

#2 blazek

blazek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:17 AM

I do have 2600 (Omegon clone) and Edge HD8 . (My 0.7 reducer is crap thouhg from the first day) .  For the native Edge 8 FL, pixel is too small.  You can work with binning (although CMOS camera binning is not the same as with CCD). With FR, it gets better, still oversampling. (better over than under though). 

Small pixel and long FL will emphasize all issues with seeing and imperfect guiding.  Not. to be mistaken, it is a great camera and with good seeing and guiding , images will be stunning , but it will be less forgiving in average or bad conditions.

In fact, if you are after CMOS camera, the pixel size will be small anyway. However, CMOS is the way to go , and 2600 is among the best CMOS cameras.  It will require a bit more care about guiding, seeing and processing, but when all is good, images will be great.

Not to mention if one day you decide to go with very short FL (like Hyperstar from Starizona), you will have excellent camera .

• drcsurf likes this

#3 Bill001

Bill001

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:45 PM

Was looking at picking a 2600 to use with my Edge 8 + .7x reducer. Was wondering if anybody has this same setup or any opinions (good or bad) about it. 

I love my 2600mc-p. I use it on my WO GT71, C8 with and without reducer, and now my 10” RC truss.  I augment it by also shooting H-alpha, H-beta, etc through the 2600mc. Works great. As I shoot near always at gain 0 I have a trivial amount of noise which I often don’t even correct in processing

• drcsurf and licho52 like this

#4 drcsurf

drcsurf

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida & Japan

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:11 PM

I love my 2600mc-p. I use it on my WO GT71, C8 with and without reducer, and now my 10” RC truss.  I augment it by also shooting H-alpha, H-beta, etc through the 2600mc. Works great. As I shoot near always at gain 0 I have a trivial amount of noise which I often don’t even correct in processing

Appreciate the info. Everybody I talk to says they love it too. Id like to do the same with Ha and Hb filters. Have you had an issues with silicone on the sensor? I hear some of these have had this issue and ZWO has been trying to fix it with the newer batches.

#5 licho52

licho52

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:15 PM

I have no problems with mine, using it with 1200mm RC8 which should be quite similar.  Don't worry about oversampling, just software bin it later for improved SNR.

#6 Bill001

Bill001

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:09 PM

Appreciate the info. Everybody I talk to says they love it too. Id like to do the same with Ha and Hb filters. Have you had an issues with silicone on the sensor? I hear some of these have had this issue and ZWO has been trying to fix it with the newer batches.

Never heard of a silicone issue; that’s news to me. The camera just works and is about 15 months old. It gets a lot of use.  My image scale w the C8 was about .386. I tried bin2 and went back to bin1. 

below: the Antares Complex shot by the 2600mc-p w/ augmented H-alpha and H-beta.... in low res.

64C60F2F-3743-4494-BA5C-BC67C36F6662.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics