•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pocket Sky Atlas Jumbo

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 StarTrooper

StarTrooper

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern USA

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:42 AM

Before I purchase this Atlas are the pages coated for protection of dew?

#2 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:54 AM

I know it is thicker paper and has held up well for me under the dew, but I’m not sure the pages are “coated.”

Hope that helps-

Kevin

• George N, Castor, faackanders2 and 2 others like this

#3 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:06 AM

To me it feels like the charts are printed on something very much like card stock, certainly a grade of paper heavier than used in most astronomy reference. But they don't have anything like a dew-proof coating on them. 

• Castor likes this

#4 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:37 AM

Compared to my Interstellarum the pages are much thicker with a glossier finish (not too glossy). The binding, more than anything, of my Jumbo Edition leads me to believe this atlas is not dew proof, but rather dew resistant.

However, now that you got me wondering, I have fired off an email to Sky & Telescope asking if the pages of the two editions are in fact dew proof. I also asked how the pages are constructed, so perhaps we'll get to the bottom of this soon.

• Castor and Knasal like this

#5 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:59 AM

I own one of the very early copies of the original size PSA. It has spent many a night soaking wet with dew ( or frosted up - I live in NY ). Today it is a tad wrinkled and dog-eared -- but is quite usable for it's intended purpose.

My plan -- buy a new copy every 10 years.  cool.gif

• unkastro, Castor, faackanders2 and 1 other like this

#6 LKSM12

LKSM12

Sputnik

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:34 PM

Something I read somewhere. Go to the dollar store get a couple of cans of cheap Hairspray. Then lay out the atlas two pages at a time spray them from the appropriate distance very likely you'll see the coating attached to the pages let it dry.
It takes some time but it does work. I actually took a drop of water, dropped it on the page let it sit wiped it off and there was no wrinkle or puckering or anything, it's a cheap way to make the pages waterproof yourself and you can do any kind of a book that way.
  • unkastro and Michael2 like this

#7 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:06 PM

I got a reply!

"They are not dew proof. They are hardy, however I wouldn’t want to test them against moisture too much."

There you have it, folks. waytogo.gif

• desertstars, Castor, pugliano and 2 others like this

#8 Castor

Castor

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:12 PM

Thank you wrvond! waytogo.gif

• wrvond likes this

#9 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: West of OZ

Posted 25 September 2021 - 07:24 AM

One of my ideas. When out observing, place a plastic sheet on the PSA while at the eyepiece. 

• Castor and jcj380 like this

#10 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

ISS

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:19 AM

I prefer the Pocket Sky Atlas's card stock to atlases that are printed on plastic or have plastic-laminated pages. Dew soaks into the card stock and disappears, whereas it forms a thin (or not so thin!) film on any plastic surface. Those films of water cause the pages of star charts and/or atlases to stick together, sometimes in disastrous ways.

Both kinds of atlas need to be dried out carefully after being brought inside.

• George N, Castor, CelestronDaddy and 2 others like this

#11 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:11 AM

I prefer the Pocket Sky Atlas's card stock to atlases that are printed on plastic or have plastic-laminated pages. Dew soaks into the card stock and disappears, whereas it forms a thin (or not so thin!) film on any plastic surface. Those films of water cause the pages of star charts and/or atlases to stick together, sometimes in disastrous ways.

Nothing remotely dew-proof was available to me when I made my first observations as a teenager. I can't recall how I came to use this method, but I kept anything paper (notebooks and hand-copied star charts - I didn't dare take the few books I owned out there) on a crate under an old card table. On the worst nights, even this didn't stop the dew from soaking into pages, and I'd hang things like laundry in the house the next day. But the trick - blocking radiative cooling - greatly reduced dew-fall.

• Castor and Knasal like this

#12 Illinois

Illinois

Gemini

• Loc: Dixon, IL. Bortle 2 land in Wis.

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:02 AM

I have two regular size Sky and Telescope  Pocket Sky Atlas. One for outside and other for in house.  I wish they add few Abell galaxies and few more deep sky objects.  

Edited by Illinois, 27 September 2021 - 06:03 AM.

• Castor, jcj380, Crusty99 and 1 other like this

#13 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:48 AM

....and then there's the nights that start out dewy - and then go below freezing - and my Sky Atlas 2000 laminated turns into an ice cream cake!

My very early PSA is a little wrinkled - but functions as intended. The SA 2000 laminated has had to have some pages cleaned of the acid-dew residue left behind after drying - but has also survived. Alas, another SA 2000 desk addition I had did not survive a minor flood.

• Castor and Starman47 like this

#14 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 October 2021 - 06:55 PM

Often I keep chats openen in the rear of my SUV with rear window opened/popped up horizontal

• Knasal likes this

#15 Etrsi_645

Etrsi_645

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Schererville Indiana

Posted 09 October 2021 - 10:45 AM

i don't think they do this any more, but here is the link...

https://www.astrosys...z/starchrt.htm 

#16 Lee D

Lee D

Apollo

• Loc: Rochester NY

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:14 PM

I'm re-waterproofing an old tent fly, and have spray water repellant on hand (Scotchgard "Outdoor Water Shield"). After reading this discussion, I think I'll take one of my old Pocket Sky Atlases and test spray the cover and two facing pages. Once dry, I can compare how it does v its sibling of the same age, under both dry and simulated heavy dew. 

• desertstars, John Gauvreau, Castor and 2 others like this

#17 Lee D

Lee D

Apollo

Posted 01 November 2021 - 08:27 PM

I'm re-waterproofing an old tent fly, and have spray water repellant on hand (Scotchgard "Outdoor Water Shield"). After reading this discussion, I think I'll take one of my old Pocket Sky Atlases and test spray the cover and two facing pages. Once dry, I can compare how it does v its sibling of the same age, under both dry and simulated heavy dew. 

The first test is complete now, with promising results.

- I sprayed one (~10 year old) PSA front cover and the spread with map 1 with Scotchgard Outdoor Water Shield and let it dry overnight.

- I filled a spray bottle with water and sprayed the front cover of the test PSA beside a control (also ~10 year old) PSA front cover and let them sit for about 15 minutes.

- I sprayed the map 1 spread of both the test and control PSAs with water and let them sit for about 30 minutes. The wind picked up sometime in there and blew both PSAs closed except for the front cover.

Results:

- The two covers both still had drops of water beading on them. The difference I noted was that moisture soaked into the paper at the edges on the control PSA's cover, but mostly not on the test PSA. If I had paid attention to the edges, I think the Scotchgard would seal the edges more completely. But overall, both did well. I wiped down both covers and they both dried fine. 

- Map 1 of the test PSA showed similar results to the covers. After peeling apart the pages, held by water tension, the water beaded on the test PSA map. Map 1 of the control had to similarly be peeled open, and the remaining water was a mixture of moisture still on the surface and places where the water had soaked into the paper.

- The appearance and feel of the test PSA is very similar, if not indistinguishable, from the control PSA. I feared that it would be shiny, since I dislike the gloss reflective appearance of my laminated deluxe SA2000.

- When the Scotchgard is sprayed on, it beads on the paper. Trying to get an even coating, I applied too much. I used a folded paper towel to evenly coat the paper and remove excess. The ink did not smear.

Tentative conclusions:

- This spray waterproofing product has potential to be helpful in preventing dew from soaking into paper exposed to dew conditions, and so far I see no negatives, beside the cost of the can and the time involved have been noticed. No extra weight and no decrease in legibility.

- Next time I will spray some of the waterproofing into a small container and apply it to the paper with a folded paper towel or cheap paint brush.

• George N, Castor, Sam M and 1 other like this

#18 Lee D

Lee D

Apollo

Posted 07 November 2021 - 02:13 PM

My 1st edition JPSA is now sprayed, and I'm very pleased with the results. The only drawback I found is that the smell lingers longer than I thought, so that even after 4-5 days a faint odor remains. The sprayed pages are slightly slicker to a thumb rubbed over the page than unsprayed pages. 

• Castor likes this

#19 Lee D

Lee D

Apollo

Posted 07 November 2021 - 02:20 PM

It seems you are saying plastic or plastic-laminated pages stick together and can be damaged, but card stock does not stick together and can't? This is the opposite of my experience. Would you please share your experience in more detail? Perhaps I misunderstand.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics