•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEWBIE SOLARMAX CONVERSION

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stargazer19

stargazer19

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:48 AM

I have a solarmax double stacked 60mm scope . My question is by removing both etalons

and converting it to a refractor as advertised can i insert my daystar quark chrom version

in the diagonal . I want to be on the safe side and dont want to damage the scope or my eyes

Clear skies   Peter

#2 hopskipson

hopskipson

Soyuz

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:47 AM

I'm assuming you are talking about the Solarmax III.  Does the diagonal contain the blocking filter?  I would check the manual supplied or online but I think you should be safe.  If the diagonal contains the blocking filter the view will be very dim as the Quark also has a blocking filter.

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:06 PM

I have a solarmax double stacked 60mm scope . My question is by removing both etalons

and converting it to a refractor as advertised can i insert my daystar quark chrom version

in the diagonal . I want to be on the safe side and dont want to damage the scope or my eyes

Clear skies   Peter

Hi,

If it's a Solarmax and Solarmax 3 series, the etalons are external and so unthreading them off the front of the base OTA will result in a basic achromatic doublet without filters. Of course you take the blocking filter diagonal out of the focuser too. You can then use it for any purpose you normally would use a basic refractor for. You can then put a standard diagonal in the focuser and use whatever you want. The Solarmax 3 series has a good crayford focuser (unlike the other series' having a terrible helical focuser).

If you have a Solarmax 2 series, the internal etalon cannot be removed, so the scope cannot be used for anything but HA.

It will help a lot to know which version you have. Or simply show a picture of it.

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics