•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi global price increases coming

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:01 AM

I recently received an email from a very reputable Takahashi vendor. Vendor told me that Takahashi will be raising global prices in November. If you’re on the fence and your dream TAK is in stock, now might be a good time to pull the trigger. And obviously, this means higher prices for used Taks will follow. 

• teashea likes this

#2 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:09 AM

How much of an increase will there be?  Maybe around 10%?

#3 Stellar1

Stellar1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:12 AM

Good to know, we’ll see what it means from a $$$ POV. There are slight increases which wouldn’t really sway anyone and there are drastic increases which suddenly put scopes out of range. I’m hoping to win the lottery soon and get me a TOA-130, regardless.

Edited by Stellar1, 18 September 2021 - 09:21 AM.

#4 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:19 AM

Instead of lowering the prices slightly to sell more product. Perhaps they will price themselves out of business...

#5 Stellar1

Stellar1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:33 AM

Instead of lowering the prices slightly to sell more product. Perhaps they will price themselves out of business...

There must be a reason, supplies for manufauring almost everything have gone up, I am surprised they haven’t already raised prices. It’s a sure bet no one at Tak woke up one day and figured they’d raise prices just cause. As for pricing themselves out of business? no way, that happens when a company starts raising prices for products which can’t measure up, names like Tak and Astrophysics will always be attractive. Human psychology is funny, sometimes the more an item costs, the more attractive it becomes.

• StarAlert, dnrmilspec and Look at the sky 101 like this

#6 AhBok

AhBok

Gemini

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:16 AM

“It’s like when I go shopping I have to buy the most expensive thing. Not because it is expensive, but because it cost more.”

—Cordelia Chase, from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Stellar1 and teashea like this

#7 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:01 PM

There must be a reason, supplies for manufauring almost everything have gone up, I am surprised they haven’t already raised prices. It’s a sure bet no one at Tak woke up one day and figured they’d raise prices just cause. As for pricing themselves out of business? no way, that happens when a company starts raising prices for products which can’t measure up, names like Tak and Astrophysics will always be attractive. Human psychology is funny, sometimes the more an item costs, the more attractive it becomes.

A 500% increase in cargo shipping costs in the past year might have something to do with it, too. 

• Delta608, Stellar1 and teashea like this

#8 epdreher

epdreher

Apollo

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:32 PM

Inflation is hitting everything, particularly food, gasoline, etc.  There's no reason to believe it won't adversely affect the price of astro-gear.

• Haze likes this

#9 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2021 - 11:11 AM

We’ll find out on Monday if this vendor was correct. 

#10 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 29 October 2021 - 11:27 AM

Inflation is hitting everything, particularly food, gasoline, etc. There's no reason to believe it won't adversely affect the price of astro-gear.

Price increases have already hit most other vendors. Even Astro-Tech stuff is going up.

#11 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 29 October 2021 - 11:37 AM

With all this inflation I think its time for a raise

#12 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 29 October 2021 - 01:22 PM

With all this inflation I think its time for a raise

Well right now the employment market is hugely skewed in favor of the employees, so it's actually about the best time I've ever seen to fight for a raise, or just find a better job that pays you more. Employers are incredibly desperate to get/retain employees right now.

#13 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 29 October 2021 - 02:58 PM

Well right now the employment market is hugely skewed in favor of the employees, so it's actually about the best time I've ever seen to fight for a raise, or just find a better job that pays you more. Employers are incredibly desperate to get/retain employees right now.

Yea, except I don't think you can walk into a job at Takahashi Telescope Dvision...

Edited by Delta608, 29 October 2021 - 02:59 PM.

#14 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 29 October 2021 - 06:44 PM

I recently received an email from a very reputable Takahashi vendor. Vendor told me that Takahashi will be raising global prices in November. If you’re on the fence and your dream TAK is in stock, now might be a good time to pull the trigger. And obviously, this means higher prices for used Taks will follow. 

The issue is finding one now.

• George N likes this

#15 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 29 October 2021 - 06:46 PM

Haaaaaa hhhaaaa

#16 michael1959

michael1959

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Ontario

Posted 29 October 2021 - 07:01 PM

As I recall, Takahashi raised prices last year around the same time, possibly December (?); also about 10%. I'm sure their production costs are increasing. Not to mention shipping costs.

#17 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:41 PM

Some new Tak prices are posted on TNR. Looks like prices were raised the most on the TSA120  and DZ. TSA is up about 6% while the DZ is 4.5% higher. 

• teashea likes this

#18 mariomal99

mariomal99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:49 AM

This inflation story I keep hearing is becoming too much now.....everything is going up and the excuse I keep hearing is COVID......Its all BS

• teashea likes this

#19 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 09 November 2021 - 10:21 PM

Some new Tak prices are posted on TNR. Looks like prices were raised the most on the TSA120  and DZ. TSA is up about 6% while the DZ is 4.5% higher. 

That is not much 

#20 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 09 November 2021 - 10:23 PM

This inflation story I keep hearing is becoming too much now.....everything is going up and the excuse I keep hearing is COVID......Its all BS

Price increases are simply a result of supply and demand.  Covid has been a factor is reducing supply and thus prices increase.  Pretty simple basic economics.

• Polyphemos likes this

#21 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 09 November 2021 - 10:59 PM

Price increases are simply a result of supply and demand.  Covid has been a factor is reducing supply and thus prices increase.  Pretty simple basic economics.

In theory ... but also in theory a new equilibrium is reached. Especially for elastic items like our astronomy toys of convenience.

You've got a problem when the price spiral just keeps feeding on itself.

#22 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 09 November 2021 - 11:50 PM

I am not buying anything now except absolute necessities.   Food and utilities only.  No unnecessary trips, no eating out, no gear.  Hunkered down.

#23 Polyphemos

Polyphemos

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fairfield, California

Posted 10 November 2021 - 10:41 AM

TNR???

#24 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 10 November 2021 - 10:48 AM

TNR???

Texas Nautical Repair, aka Land Sea & Sky. They are the big Takahashi dealership in the US. 

• Polyphemos and teashea like this

#25 Polyphemos

Polyphemos

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fairfield, California

Posted 10 November 2021 - 10:55 AM

Texas Nautical Repair, aka Land Sea & Sky. They are the big Takahashi dealership in the US. 

Aka, Takahashi America.  Got it.  Thanks!

• Doug Culbertson likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics