•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter in unstable skies - definite improvement - 6-17-21

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:19 AM

EDIT:  I fat fingered the keyboard and typed 6 instead of 9 in the date.  These images are from 9-17-21!!

Cumulus clouds until nearly sunset made for interesting atmospheric turbulence.  Large waves moving across the disk.  Made another adjustment to the secondary last night before starting to image.  Didn't actually do much to the collimation but while monitoring in Metaguide through my IR Pass filter I tightened the adjustment screws about 1/2 turn for each by the time I was done.  Given the seeing I think these images are a definite improvement.  Not all screws are tighten to the bottom yet so maybe I'm on the right track.  "Small moves...small moves".

Of note: 5% stacks were better than 1% or 2% last evening.  Less noise and not significant flaring on the moons.  Moons brightened a bit to improve visibility.  First time I've ever clearly resolved the southern ovals that I can recall.

10000 frames  5% stack 1.5x drizzle.  GAIN 275 10ms exposure.

2021-09-18-0217_8-DWC-L-Jup__M__AS_P5_lapl5_ap52_Drizzle15wAP.jpg

Interesting arrangements of the moons last evening as well.

2021-09-18-0254_1-DWC-L-Jup__M__AS_P5_lapl5_ap47_Drizzle15wAP.jpg

A GIF of the shadow motion across Jupiter. (Have to click on it to view the movement (not sure why).  You can clearly see how much the seeing was changing.  All processed the same.

2021-09-18-0147_6-DWC-L-Jup__M__AS_P5_lapl5_ap45_Drizzle15wAP_pipp.gif

Edited by dcaponeii, 18 September 2021 - 06:10 PM.

• Kenny V., eros312, Ljubo and 7 others like this

#2 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:50 PM

Yes Don, some of those images in the animation are pretty good. As you say you are now starting to get the ovals and other detail in the more polar regions. Looks like progress. In another thread, Borodog pointed out you may not have had focus in that Star image you posted. I guess that is something to pay extra attention to (as if you weren’t already).
Paul
  • dcaponeii and Borodog like this

#3 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:40 PM

Congrats! Looks like you now have a consistent improvement in your gas giant images!

• dcaponeii likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics