•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Check your hand control for cold solder joints!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Woody218

Woody218

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bismarck, ND

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:56 PM

I was helping a friend get a new Starsense up and running. We were going to install the latest firmware, and upon checking the hand control, there was no USB port on the bottom! We could hear something rattling in it, so we opened up the hand control. The USB port was loose inside the hand control, the pads on the circuit board all exhibited cold solder joints, or no solder at all. This was a brand new Starsense, it came out of the box like that.

Pretty crappy quality control!

• calypsob, Jethro7 and ButterSmooth like this

#2 Medic002

Medic002

Messenger

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:06 PM

Sounds like someone used it and broke it then sent back and repackaged as new.

#3 ButterSmooth

ButterSmooth

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central Oregon

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:22 PM

Sounds like someone used it and broke it then sent back and repackaged as new.

My USB connector broke off and also exhibited cold solder joints.  Only one connection was actually soldered and as a result, when the connector came off the board, the one soldered securely lifted the trace from the board.  I frequently got the 'mount not responding' error, and I'm sure it was caused by the poor (intermittent) factory connections.

The soldering process wasn't hot enough to adequately heat the metallic shell of the USB socket, so it was not securely attached to the board or the connections electrically sound.

It's a manufacturing problem to watch for.

#4 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:34 PM

Hello.
This is the new norm, at least for now, with companies desperately trying to get products out.
I was afraid that this would happen. I have not seen these problems with premium astro gear,
Only the extended wait times.

HAPPY SKIES AND TRY TO KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 18 September 2021 - 01:35 PM.

#5 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:54 PM

Sometimes this is not a quality control issue based around any poor practice- it is more around the selection of the solder. Legalisation removed the lead from solder so the replacements, being lead free, have made the connections more brittle and prone to fail. I guess manufacturers need to do a lot more testing to find better quality solder that will work under the conditions telescopes are subjected to. Constant hot & cold can't be good for any brittle connection.

Edited by pyrasanth, 18 September 2021 - 01:54 PM.

#6 Seiten

Seiten

Mariner 2

• Loc: Huntsville, AL 35763

Posted 19 September 2021 - 04:19 PM

I blame QC.  At least when it comes to their entire mount line.  Their flagship CGX/CGX-L mounts are shipped out with overtightened belts that if not adjusted soon will create tracking and backlash issues that are next to impossible to fix without some customer micro-surgery.  Parts are assembled on the mount backwards.  This is nothing more than a failure in assembly and poor inspection to assure products go out per the drawings.  

But their order queues are full and are in a constant backorder scenario.  There doesnt seem to be much motivation to do much about it.

Edited by Seiten, 19 September 2021 - 04:19 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics