•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount Suggestions for Edge Hd 8 and planetary imaging

Cassegrain Observing Planet Mount Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:16 PM

Hi folks,  I'm thinking of buying a mount for my Celestron Edge HD 8 OTA.  I'd like to use this scope for 70% observing and 30% planetary imaging.  I've looked (online) at the iOptron CEM 28 or a Skywatcher mount.  I'd rather not use an AVX as I've had one before and I'm not that impressed by it.  My primary mount for AP is a Losmandy G11

which I use exclusively for DSO's.  This new one would be a secondary mount that I can roll in and out of my garage so I'd like to keep the mount cost below $2000.   Any suggestions about iOptron, Skywatcher, or ???

Thanks, Mike

#2 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Messenger

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:26 PM

Hello. Have you looked at an Evolution? Wonderful for visual, and if you have HyperStar, or a wedge, planetary imaging should work. Is it just the AVX line you didn't like, or the body of Celestron EQ choices?

• marinaldi likes this

#3 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:35 PM

Hello. Have you looked at an Evolution? Wonderful for visual, and if you have HyperStar, or a wedge, planetary imaging should work. Is it just the AVX line you didn't like, or the body of Celestron EQ choices?

I'm looking for a GEM mount and trying to stay under $1500-2000.  Some of Celestron's higher end mounts would work but they're to expensive for a secondary mostly visual mount.  I did once own an Evolution mount with a 9.25 Celestron OTA and liked it for observation but I sold it some years ago when I went to AP and the Losmandy route.  But now I wish I'd kept it.  The reality is that I don't want to breakdown my AP Losmandy setup each time I want to use the Edge HD 8.   I also don't want to spend a ton for another mount if the most I'll be doing is planetary imaging where pointing accuracy is not too critical.

#4 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:05 PM

I'm looking for a GEM mount and trying to stay under $1500-2000.  Some of Celestron's higher end mounts would work but they're to expensive for a secondary mostly visual mount.  I did once own an Evolution mount with a 9.25 Celestron OTA and liked it for observation but I sold it some years ago when I went to AP and the Losmandy route.  But now I wish I'd kept it.  The reality is that I don't want to breakdown my AP Losmandy setup each time I want to use the Edge HD 8.   I also don't want to spend a ton for another mount if the most I'll be doing is planetary imaging where pointing accuracy is not too critical.

The Skywatcher HEQ5 or EQ6-R (also EQM-35) would be a good choice (Orion has similar mounts and the SVP goto is well priced) along with the iOptron CEM26/GEM28. 

• marinaldi likes this

#5 David Boulanger

David Boulanger

Ranger 4

• Loc: Naples, Florida

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:15 PM

If it is for observation and planetary have you look at the Skywatcher AZ-EQ 5Pro.  It is enough mount for the 8" easily plus the choice of how you use it.

And the overall weight of the mount is reasonable.

Edited by David Boulanger, 18 September 2021 - 02:29 PM.

• marinaldi likes this

#6 kim.davis

kim.davis

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:16 PM

I have gem28 and c8 would be pushing it a bit hard if you use the stock 1.5 inch tripod. 1.75 or thicker one would be far better. That said, it's really light weight, easy to carry.

#7 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:02 AM

Thanks for all the various recommendations folks.  I'm thinking of the skywatcher AZ-EQ 5 Pro.  I like the idea of switching to AZ/ALT mode when observing.

• David Boulanger likes this

#8 David Boulanger

David Boulanger

Ranger 4

• Loc: Naples, Florida

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:06 AM

AZ/ALT should work well for planetary I would think.  I've only used mine in EQ mode.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cassegrain, Observing, Planet, Mount, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics