•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Learning to make diffraction spikes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:30 PM

Just running an experiment, it’s not that I actually want diffraction spikes, it’s just that was curious on how to make them without having the programs usually used, I downloaded several iOS apps but they basically turn every point of light in to a starburst so I just tried a old composite method, just found a diffracted star from hubble and overlaid it on 5 of the brightest stars in my lagoon photo, I suppose some photos may benefit, I’ve seen some photos of the plaides that I think are more beautiful with the artifact

Attached Thumbnails

• 8DCA37B7-B1EB-4C13-A9B9-0D8AAD2AABB1.png

• javad likes this

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:41 PM

You could cross two thin sticks or two strands of fishing line in front of your refractor, too...looks much more real. Because it is :)

#3 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:47 PM

Yeah I could but I won’t, I’m pretty fine without, just wanted to learn, but in this case of compositing, they are real, just from a different star and different scope :)

You could cross two thin sticks or two strands of fishing line in front of your refractor, too...looks much more real. Because it is smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics