•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can I substitute 18650 Lions for Lifepo4?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:31 PM

I was in the process of buying a second dew heating solution for my grab n go imaging rig.  I saw this box https://www.amazon.c...op?ie=UTF8&th=1 which can hold 6 x 18650 batteries

Its made for lithium ions but I noticed while shopping around that you can also get 18650 lifepo4's  https://stortronics....ifepo4-battery/   Would it hurt anything to swap out the LIFEpo4's instead of lithium ions?

I plan on using the 8.4v cable and adding a 5v reducer with a usb splitter.  I will likely charge the batteries externally on a charger designed to keep them balanced.  

Seems like a cool way to utilize a battery that is superior in performance to a lion 

Edited by calypsob, 18 September 2021 - 01:32 PM.

#2 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:39 PM

Nothing? surely someone knows a bit about these types of batteries 

#3 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 19 September 2021 - 03:31 PM

Not off the top, but whenever I have questions about baterry chemistries, I always go to the same place...

https://batteryuniversity.com/

Great resource, tons of good info over there.
  • calypsob likes this

#4 tosjduenfs

tosjduenfs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:04 AM

The listing does specify to use protected Li-ion cells. Likely because this device does not offer any undervoltage protection on a cell level and over-discharging will degrade/destroy a cell . That said it would probably work with caveats. Li-ion is 3.7v nominal and LifePo4 is 3.2v nominal. If the buck converter has a low voltage cutoff around 3v per cell then LifePo4 batteries won't be able to fully discharge, leaving capacity on the table. Your best bet is to just use Li-ion especially considering the capacity of the cells you've linked, it is horrendously low. LifePo4 is generally safer if a failure occurs but not necessarily superior density wise, if you can take care of your cells then just get the Li-ion.

Edited by tosjduenfs, 20 September 2021 - 07:20 AM.

• calypsob likes this

#5 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:20 PM

The listing does specify to use protected Li-ion cells. Likely because this device does not offer any undervoltage protection on a cell level and over-discharging will degrade/destroy a cell . That said it would probably work with caveats. Li-ion is 3.7v nominal and LifePo4 is 3.2v nominal. If the buck converter has a low voltage cutoff around 3v per cell then LifePo4 batteries won't be able to fully discharge, leaving capacity on the table. Your best bet is to just use Li-ion especially considering the capacity of the cells you've linked, it is horrendously low. LifePo4 is generally safer if a failure occurs but not necessarily superior density wise, if you can take care of your cells then just get the Li-ion.

Perfect, Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks

• tosjduenfs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics