•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pointy feet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:46 PM

I have the iOptron EQ30 Pro, and it has removable pointy feet.  Should I leave these on if I'm using the mount on a hard surface?  What about if I have it on vibration suppression pads?  I normally set it up on my driveway, and I took the points off to see the difference.  TBH, it didn't seem to matter.  As for the pads, I've been using the tripod without the points on those, but not sure if I should try it with them?  I still feel that this mount is a bit shaky with my C8 on it. Even when not touching it, there seems to be intermittent trembling.  Would getting a beefier tripod help?  The one now is a Literoc model, where the top of the legs is 2", and the bottom section is 1.75".  I only have the lower legs extended by about 8", so it's not really that high.

#2 Couder

Couder

Apollo

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:06 PM

I made two sets of feet for my tripod. Perhaps you could make or adapt something like this. The rubber looking ones swivel so they sit flat on the floor.

Attached Thumbnails

• tripod legs.jpg

#3 markb

markb

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:23 PM

Fat tripod feet with the normal pitch/thread for surveyor's tripod (and many others)

Easy, cheap, swivel to match the angle and help a bit with vibration, but they also fit nicely on my 2x2 vibrations pads

https://smile.amazon...uct/B01HSQLI5O/

#4 reglogge

reglogge

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:35 PM

I have the iOptron EQ30 Pro, and it has removable pointy feet.  Should I leave these on if I'm using the mount on a hard surface?  What about if I have it on vibration suppression pads?  I normally set it up on my driveway, and I took the points off to see the difference.  TBH, it didn't seem to matter.  As for the pads, I've been using the tripod without the points on those, but not sure if I should try it with them?  I still feel that this mount is a bit shaky with my C8 on it. Even when not touching it, there seems to be intermittent trembling.  Would getting a beefier tripod help?  The one now is a Literoc model, where the top of the legs is 2", and the bottom section is 1.75".  I only have the lower legs extended by about 8", so it's not really that high.

I remember reading a comparison test (can't find it anymore though) where somebody compared the vibration patterns of a scope with and without suppression pads under the mount's feet. The gist of it was: In most cases vibration pads only make sense for visual observing. For astrophotography it is better to use hard, pointy feet. The reasoning was that while suppression pads dampen the amplitude of vibrations, it also takes longer for the vibrations to die down with them. In astrophotography, a higher but shorter amplitude is better because you want to capture as much light as possible at a single pixel. In visual observation, it is better if the actual vibration shows up less pronounced. This made intuitive sense to me, although you also need to consider the pixel scale of your imaging rig and the overall rigidity of the tripod/mount/scope system.

#5 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Gemini

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:41 PM

The vibration surpression pads are a good investment. We use them with our C8s, and you can see the difference. Shakiness is gone. They are used at night and for solar viewing. Tripods used are the 1990's heavy duty 2 inch Celestron tripod and the tripod sold with the iOptron AlAz Pro.
  • markb and Spikey131 like this

#6 markb

markb

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:42 PM

Forgot the pads

https://smile.amazon...duct/B00BVEMLR4

Only very light use so far but these are supposed to be the 'right' material, many are mystery rubber so I looked for EVA.

It and sorbothane seem to be the top two vibration damping choices.

Sorbothane is said to be best but is very expensive. I believe the storied Celestron vibration pads (still sold) use a sorbothane layer between hard plastic pucks. I have a old set but they are a pain to juggle with my other carry outs, since they don't stack and are super slippery.

So I use the fat snow feet and can put them on the EVA pads.

If you get the Celeston pads, they will take the pointy feet without issue, and provide a vibration damper. If stuffing them in a pocket while getting ready doesn't bother you.

Edited by markb, 18 September 2021 - 02:43 PM.

#7 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:53 PM

The vibration surpression pads are a good investment. We use them with our C8s, and you can see the difference. Shakiness is gone. They are used at night and for solar viewing. Tripods used are the 1990's heavy duty 2 inch Celestron tripod and the tripod sold with the iOptron AlAz Pro.

Do you leave the pointy feet on the tripod legs when using the pads?  I'm thinking the points are better because less physical contact, so less vibrations transmitted?  I have a stand for a record turntable, and that came with very sharp, points tips, so I'm guessing there's a reason.

Forgot the pads

https://smile.amazon...duct/B00BVEMLR4

Only very light use so far but these are supposed to be the 'right' material, many are mystery rubber so I looked for EVA.

It and sorbothane seem to be the top two vibration damping choices.

Sorbothane is said to be best but is very expensive. I believe the storied Celestron vibration pads (still sold) use a sorbothane layer between hard plastic pucks. I have a old set but they are a pain to juggle with my other carry outs, since they don't stack and are super slippery.

So I use the fat snow feet and can put them on the EVA pads.

If you get the Celeston pads, they will take the pointy feet without issue, and provide a vibration damper. If stuffing them in a pocket while getting ready doesn't bother you.

I just got the Celestron pads.  Yeah, pricey!!  They seem to help a bit, but there's still some vibrations.  I guess maybe there will always be some?  For this mount being able to supposedly hold 30 lbs, I'm not super impressed with it and my C8.

#8 markb

markb

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:05 PM

Very often the issue is inadequate tripods, so you can look into things like weighted slings underneath etc. from the camera world.

There are wonderful tripods out there but many are expensive, but I would think most people would rather pay an extra $50 or more to get a more rigid, better tripod to start with.

But I have no knowledge on your specific setup. Online searches may turn up solutions used by others.

Good luck and great viewing.

• ET_PhoneHome likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics