•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need a little help! Super new!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Linked-In-The-Stars

Linked-In-The-Stars

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Elkhorn, WI

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:22 PM

Hi All,

I am really new to all this but I have a question and I’m not sure where to look for the answer! I am looking at for my first imaging telescope, the WO Z61, I have a Canon Rebel T5, I need the t-mount and adapter, but how am I sure which thread size of a T-mount I need?? I have looked but seems there is a 42mm and 48mm size thread. Idk which one I will need and don’t want to order the wrong one. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, to touch on this, should I invest in the dedicated field flattener for this scope? Right now I’m only using my camera and Skywatcher pro and I do get really good data from even single shots so I wanted to step it up another level and see what I can do with these upgrades. Lmk your thoughts/opinions and advice you may have!! Thanks and CS!!

Edited by Linked-In-The-Stars, 18 September 2021 - 02:23 PM.

#2 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:08 PM

A refractor will need a dedicated field flattener, or flattener/reducer designed to use with that particular scope. The threads would need to match that. Due to the very wide field of such a small scope, I would advice against using a reducer.

The manufacturer will often say what flattener is to be used. For example, William Optics makes the Flat73r that I have for my Zenithstar 73, but there is also a 1:1 flattener (no reduction) that they say can be used as well. There will often be others that can work, as long as they are meant for scopes of similar size & focal ratio, but easist is to go with the recommended ones.

Edit: I wouldn't have gotten the reducer for mine, but it was all that was in stock at the time, and my sensor isn't very large, so it made more sense in my case.

Edited by Oort Cloud, 18 September 2021 - 04:10 PM.

#3 SnowWolf

SnowWolf

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:11 PM

Hi All,

I am really new to all this but I have a question and I’m not sure where to look for the answer! I am looking at for my first imaging telescope, the WO Z61, I have a Canon Rebel T5, I need the t-mount and adapter, but how am I sure which thread size of a T-mount I need?? I have looked but seems there is a 42mm and 48mm size thread. Idk which one I will need and don’t want to order the wrong one. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, to touch on this, should I invest in the dedicated field flattener for this scope? Right now I’m only using my camera and Skywatcher pro and I do get really good data from even single shots so I wanted to step it up another level and see what I can do with these upgrades. Lmk your thoughts/opinions and advice you may have!! Thanks and CS!!

Looking at this page:

https://williamoptic...m/zenithstar-61

According to the part about attaching the focal reducer, it says the telescope threads are M54.  Looking at the photo, it shows the reducer's M54 threads are male.  It shows the camera side threads on the flattener to be male. Further down on the page, there is a diagram under "Test Report"  that shows the camera side threads to be M48.

So, if you get the flattener, you would need an M48 T adapter with female threads on the telescope side. 

If you don't get the flattener, you'll need a male M54 to male M48 adapter instead. You're probably gonna need some extension tubes to achieve focus.

I've found Agena Astro a good place to get adapters and extension tubes.  They have a large  supply.

#4 oneredpanther

oneredpanther

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 05:02 PM

If you go for the venerable Redcat 51 instead of the Zenithstar 61, then you won't need a flattener. 

Also since the redcat is a triplet, vs the zenithstar's doublet; you will have superior imaging performance. 

Edited by oneredpanther, 18 September 2021 - 05:03 PM.

#5 Ibuprofen200mg

Ibuprofen200mg

Vostok 1

• Loc: SC, USA

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:23 PM

Another option:

https://www.astronom...ed-doublet.html

Same scope as the WO Z61 but cheaper, AT makes a matching flattener that screws directly on the scope (uses 48 mm T-ring on the camera side):

https://www.astronom...-flattener.html

They also have a 0.8x reducing flattener if you need more FOV:

Either one you choose I'd also suggest this, which makes life easier:

https://www.astronom...ical-tubes.html

#6 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:14 AM

If you go for the venerable Redcat 51 instead of the Zenithstar 61, then you won't need a flattener.

Also since the redcat is a triplet, vs the zenithstar's doublet; you will have superior imaging performance.

Technically, the redcat is a quadruplet (petzval), which is why it doesn't need a flattener...
  • acommonsoul and OldManSky like this

#7 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:49 AM

Another option:

https://www.astronom...ed-doublet.html

Same scope as the WO Z61 but cheaper, AT makes a matching flattener that screws directly on the scope (uses 48 mm T-ring on the camera side):

They also have a 0.8x reducing flattener if you need more FOV:

Either one you choose I'd also suggest this, which makes life easier:

https://www.astronom...ical-tubes.html

Do this.  100%.  You won't be disappointed with the AT60ED.

#8 Linked-In-The-Stars

Linked-In-The-Stars

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:33 AM

Well it’s safe to say I’m uncertain now lol. As I’m super green and only been a visual guy until this summer, (August). I haven’t messed w much of stacking/photoshop or any of those with any pictures I’ve taken. Although I haven’t done a real session on one target, in getting my feet wet I simply sat outside for hours taking multiple photos of multiple targets at different ISO’s, f stops and so forth to see how well I could hone in on how my camera worked and what I could get out of it and safe to say I’ve picked up on that rather quickly. I love the WO scopes, have for some time now due to their quality, and I didn’t want to dive into something expensive out the gate being as fresh to AP as I am. I appreciate all the feedback and advice/opinions though, it does help a lot! I will be considering the pros and cons to these answers. That redcat is super nice I just wasn’t sure if I should buy something at that price being as new as I am to this hobby. But maybe??? Also, Anybody have any experience with the doublet by Apertura? That’s also a nice reviewed scope from what I have seen and at a not so bad price point. Thanks again and CS!!

#9 acommonsoul

acommonsoul

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hacienda Heights, Ca

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:42 AM

My vote would be for either the Redcat or one of the Astronomics scopes. The Redcat avoids the need for a flattner, but is a bit more pricey.

#10 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:29 AM

My vote would be for either the Redcat or one of the Astronomics scopes. The Redcat avoids the need for a flattner, but is a bit more pricey.

I have to agree, especially for a beginner. I've been having to diagnose tilt/spacing issues with my z73 since I got it. I think I'm almost there, but it probably would have been much easier if I'd just gotten a petzval instead (like the Redcat, which was out of stock at the time). Then the only thing to troubleshoot should be tilt.

#11 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:10 AM

The redcat is more than twice the price of an AT60ED.  A little fenagling with spacing was worth the savings to me.  Didn't take me long to get it dialed in.

#12 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:50 AM

The redcat is more than twice the price of an AT60ED. A little fenagling with spacing was worth the savings to me. Didn't take me long to get it dialed in.

Lucky...at this point, I'm almost certain that my 533mc has a slight tilt on the sensor. Trying to figure out spacing with tilt present was quite difficult since it's my first time troubleshooting it. When I moved the camera over to my 6se, I noticed it was present there too (I use all threaded connections on both scopes). I've since bought and installed a tilt plate, and will be making my first round of adjustments to it the next clear night. I have round stars in 3 corners now, so hopefully should be simple to sort the last one out with the tilt plate, once I figure out how to adjust it since it came with zero instructions, per ZWO's S.O.P.

#13 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:26 AM

Lucky...at this point, I'm almost certain that my 533mc has a slight tilt on the sensor. Trying to figure out spacing with tilt present was quite difficult since it's my first time troubleshooting it. When I moved the camera over to my 6se, I noticed it was present there too (I use all threaded connections on both scopes). I've since bought and installed a tilt plate, and will be making my first round of adjustments to it the next clear night. I have round stars in 3 corners now, so hopefully should be simple to sort the last one out with the tilt plate, once I figure out how to adjust it since it came with zero instructions, per ZWO's S.O.P.

Good luck to you.  I had what I suspected to be sensor tilt (long stars on one side) and ended up fixing it by adding 1mm of shims in front of the camera.  Wasn't tilt at all but a slight backfocus error.

I hope yours is easy to resolve.

#14 Linked-In-The-Stars

Linked-In-The-Stars

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:27 AM

Well, needless to say I ended up ordering the Redcat. Really love the features on this thing and how well built it really is on top of the image quality it’s able to produce. May be over kill for a noob like me, but just like when I ordered my dob a year ago, instead of a 6” or an 8” and saving a little on a nice visual dob, I went with a 10” and couldn’t be happier. I suspect this scope won’t disappoint me and in the long run it’ll pay off. Thanks again everyone for your input and advice. I do appreciate it! CS!
  • Wheeljack, mariemarie, matt_astro_tx and 1 other like this

#15 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:35 AM

Congrats on the new scope!

#16 Linked-In-The-Stars

Linked-In-The-Stars

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Matt! Can’t wait for it to show up at the door and less importantly upset the ole lady! Haha

Edited by Linked-In-The-Stars, 22 September 2021 - 09:32 AM.

#17 Linked-In-The-Stars

Linked-In-The-Stars

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:47 AM

Hello again, some more questions regarding my newly acquired scope, does anyone have any suggestions on anything else that would make my life easier to maybe get better tracking/guiding? and maybe to get better sharp stars more easily? I have the SGP, and now the Redcat 51, on a fairly sturdy mount long as I’m on some ground I can press against (my deck is too shaky), and will be using a Canon Eos Rebel T5. And should I expect any spacing or focusing issues out the gate?? Thanks everyone!

Edited by Linked-In-The-Stars, 24 September 2021 - 07:48 AM.

#18 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:41 AM

If the SGP has an ST4 port on the mount, adding a guider will help.

I also use a star tracker mount (the star adventurer) and while I don't yet have guiding, I found the addition of an ASIAir Pro to help substantially with my Polar Alignment.  And, it runs "PHD2 Lite" for guiding.  My next addition will be a guidecam.

What is the longest exposure you can take with your RedCat on the SGP today?

#19 Linked-In-The-Stars

Linked-In-The-Stars

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:59 AM

My fault, I for some reason put Sky guider pro mount, I also have the star adventurer pro mount. Adding an ASIAir should help with polar alignment hey? That would probably help tremendously with my tracking I would assume? .. I am receiving the Redcat today, so exposure times are unknown yet. Without the scope just with my camera and my 75-300mm lens, I have been able to reach close or on 2min exposures with rough alignment and getting some good data from just that setup. When I say rough I mean a quick alignment. Although anything beyond around 135mm the stars start to not keep focus very well and trailing occurs so exposure times drop dramatically at higher zoom. Anything to help me improve this setup would benefit me I’m sure. I will look into the ASIAir pro and see what that’s about as I’m still unfamiliar with all of these pieces of equipment lol so thank you again!

#20 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:52 AM

I'm shooting 1 minute exposures at 287mm with my star adventurer after polar aligning with the ASIAir.  I expect guiding to double my exposure lengths.

#21 Linked-In-The-Stars

Linked-In-The-Stars

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2021 - 10:31 AM

Finally got it yesterday! What a beauty!

Attached Thumbnails

• 8E199DB7-21F5-4212-B60A-00CEA4955D64.jpeg

• Wheeljack likes this

#22 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:26 PM

Congrats!  New scope days are fun.

#23 Wheeljack

Wheeljack

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 September 2021 - 01:18 PM

Hello again, some more questions regarding my newly acquired scope, does anyone have any suggestions on anything else that would make my life easier to maybe get better tracking/guiding? and maybe to get better sharp stars more easily? I have the SGP, and now the Redcat 51, on a fairly sturdy mount long as I’m on some ground I can press against (my deck is too shaky), and will be using a Canon Eos Rebel T5. And should I expect any spacing or focusing issues out the gate?? Thanks everyone!

A small guide setup can be a good place to start. It doesn't have to cost much either. I use the guidescope/cam I have in my signature for both the EQ6-R Pro and the Star Adventurer. AsiAir is also a great device from what I've read/seen, but if you have a laptop available, you can use the (free) PHD2 for guiding and Polar Align via Sharpcap Pro ($18 a year) or the free ever-evolving N.I.N.A (Nighttime Imaging N' Astronomy). Both ot the two latter ones have a polar alignment feature, but I have only personally only used Sharpcap so I cannot comment on NINA.

What put me off the AsiAir was that it locks you into the ZWO ecosystem in terms of the equipment it can control. It also relies on wi-fi connection to a device which have to be in the vicinity. The new AsiAir Plus which is coming shortly will have an extended wifi-range but until more reviews come in, there's no way of telling how far that range is.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics