•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need info on telescope

Celestron Astrometry Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dagold63

dagold63

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:22 PM

I recently received a rather old (20+ years) reflector telescope and am hoping to get information, documentation, etc on it.  The telescope didn't come with any documentation and there isn't much on the telescope to find anything on the internet.  I'm interested in using this telescope but also have limited known in using one.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Reflector telescope:  Spectrum 1, D=4.5inch, F=900mm

Spotter scope: Celestron 8 x 50mm

The telescope mount has an optional electric motor that apparently can be used for some sort of auto-tracking.

I have attached photos of the identification I could find plus the fully-assembled telescope.

Dan

IMG_3101.jpg IMG_3099.jpg IMG_3100.jpg IMG_3097.jpg

#2 Bonco2

Bonco2

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:30 PM

It's a very common 4.5 inch Newtonian telescope It's mounted on what's known as an equitorial mount. If set up properly  where the mounts' axis points close to the north star, the electric motor will allow it to track compensating for the rotation of earth. It's a capable telescope if one knows how to use it.  First try it out on the moon. Then the planets, Jupiter and Saturn. You might be impressed.

Good luck, Bill

• dagold63 likes this

#3 Bonco2

Bonco2

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:39 PM

BTW the finder scope if aligned with the main scope is a low power finder that helps you to view an object in the main scope. That's actually a pretty good finder.

Bill 

• dagold63 likes this

#4 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:44 PM

I would estimate your Spectrum 1 to be closer to 50-60 years old, actually.

Spectrum 1 offered some of the typical Towa scopes of that era - 50mm and 60mm refractors also sold by the likes of Jason and Tasco (and others).  Later in their history, Spectrum 1 also sold Tanzutzu models (as did many other importers), which may have shared heritage (or "partial" heritage) with Towa.

https://www.cloudyni...what-to-expect/

https://www.cloudyni...um-1-50mm600mm/

https://www.cloudyni...e/#entry5801088

As the third link notes, your Spectrum 1 can be considered a "sibling" of the Tasco 11TR.

Best wishes and luck!  It looks like a well-cared-for, relatively rare (by brand name) classic!

Dan

• dagold63 likes this

#5 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Vanguard

• Loc: MD

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:23 PM

The key to the Spectrum 1 heritage is the tiny "circle-T" logo in the lower right.  Made by Tani Optical I believe.  Excellent reputation.

tani.jpg

Edited by ngc7319_20, 18 September 2021 - 08:24 PM.

• dagold63 likes this

#6 dagold63

dagold63

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies.  I now have a few more clues about this equipment.   I've had some luck using the finder scope to focus on items, although they are inverted.  I'm sure it's something dumb but I'll need to ask "why"?   As for the reflector, I'm not able to clearly focus on anything (e.g. distant mountains) despite fiddling with the various adjustments.  Again, something dumb I'm sure.

Dan

#7 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:54 PM

Do you intend to use this Dan?  Or do you need the info for selling purposes? 

#8 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Vanguard

• Loc: MD

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies.  I now have a few more clues about this equipment.   I've had some luck using the finder scope to focus on items, although they are inverted.  I'm sure it's something dumb but I'll need to ask "why"?   As for the reflector, I'm not able to clearly focus on anything (e.g. distant mountains) despite fiddling with the various adjustments.  Again, something dumb I'm sure.

There are various adjustments to "collimate" the mirrors in the main scope.  Maybe these are a bit off...   There are lots of resources on how to do this...

https://skyandtelesc...ctor-telescope/

What eyepiece (small lens in the focuser) are you using?  Probably start with a lower power eyepiece in the 15mm to 25mm range.   High powers (like 6mm eyepiece) require everything to be perfectly collimated.

#9 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:44 PM

The key to the Spectrum 1 heritage is the tiny "circle-T" logo in the lower right.  Made by Tani Optical I believe.  Excellent reputation.

attachicon.giftani.jpg

Circle T means Tani on eyepieces. On telescopes it means Towa.

With respect to the inverted images, all simple optical systems do this. Even your eyes - the image on your retina is upside down and backwards. In this case, because there is a right-angle turn in the light path, one direction will be corrected. The finder and the scope both have the turn, so they will show consistent views.

Some of these focusers have an inner sleeve that pulls out as an extension, and those often get stuck. You can check whether the focuser isn't extending out far enough by pulling the eyepiece out while looking through it, and moving it further away while keeping it carefully aligned. If you get a focused image (and it is likely to be distorted a bit because it's hard to keep the eyepiece aligned), then it means the focuser needs to extend more. In that case, see if the inner sleeve is jammed inside the outer tube.

Chip W. 

• Bowlerhat likes this

#10 dagold63

dagold63

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:01 PM

Thanks to all for your prompt and informative replies.  I'll be checking on each item.  And so it's clear, I'm just trying to learn how to use this instrument and enjoy it, not intending to sell.

• Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Astrometry, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics