•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EAGLE must be powered with 12V regulated voltage

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 D.T.

D.T.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:05 PM

I have just received my Primalucelab Eagle4 computer.  I haven't even powered it up yet.  I read in the manual

"CAUTION EAGLE must be powered with 12V regulated voltage. You can use a power supply with 12V output voltage or a
field battery. If you use a battery, this MUST be provided with a proper voltage stabilization. In case of any malfunction,
immediately unplug the power supply. DO NOT CONNECT TO THE EAGLE A BATTERY WITHOUT
12V VOLTAGE REGULATOR since it may damage the other instruments powered by EAGLE (like the cooled
camera)."

I currently power everything off of a 12v LiFePO4 battery and my power wiring uses Anderson Power Pole connectors.  Do I really need to buy a 12v voltage regulator and put it in the power path between the 12v battery and the Eagle4?  The CAUTION statement claims that without the regulator, it may damage the other instruments powered by the Eagle.  I've been running my ASI1600MM cameras directly off of the LiFePO4 battery for a while now and haven't had any problems. There will be a voltage drop in the wiring from the battery to the camera.  I suppose there could be a additional voltage drop through the Eagle.  I would think that if the voltage was too low it simply wouldn't work.  I would think that the Camera has to be more robust than that!  Can somebody please explain this a little better to me?

thanks

Dana

#2 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:51 PM

An important next question to ask is what precision is needed (12 volts, plus or minus how much).  Without knowing that, determining even what sort of regulated supply can be used is technically iffy.

#3 D.T.

D.T.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:07 PM

An important next question to ask is what precision is needed (12 volts, plus or minus how much).  Without knowing that, determining even what sort of regulated supply can be used is technically iffy.

The documentation says that the important thing is to make sure that the voltage never drops below 12v.  And it should be more if much load is placed on the Eagles voltage outputs.

#4 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:43 PM

The documentation says that the important thing is to make sure that the voltage never drops below 12v.  And it should be more if much load is placed on the Eagles voltage outputs.

Wow, that's a very different criteria than "regulated 12v" is normally considered to be.

Still, the electrical engineer in me would be asking for the exact specs.  Minimum and maximum voltage, current draw, etc.

#5 D.T.

D.T.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:04 AM

Wow, that's a very different criteria than "regulated 12v" is normally considered to be.

Still, the electrical engineer in me would be asking for the exact specs.  Minimum and maximum voltage, current draw, etc.

You ever notice how, in so many product specifications, the specifications are more marketing talking points, than information the user will really need?

#6 D.T.

D.T.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:23 PM

I found the following Primalucelab instruction video:

https://www.facebook...39887770783428/

Again, in this video, it states that the primary concern is that the voltage must not drop too low or equipment could be damaged.  However, this video also states that there is protection built into the Primalucelab Eagle which will shut the Eagle, and it's outputs, down if the input voltage drops below 11.8v.  It would seem then, that I am protected, and I can experiment.  I can run the Eagle off of my LiFePO4 batteries, through the DC power lines, to power the Eagle.  If it works, fine.  If it doesn't work, the Eagle will shut down, nothing will be damaged, and I will proceed with modifying my power scheme as needed.

Dana

#7 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 19 September 2021 - 04:12 PM

You ever notice how, in so many product specifications, the specifications are more marketing talking points, than information the user will really need?

Yep!  Also the misuse of units, e.g. confusing amps and amp-hours, and using amp-hours without specifying the voltage it applies to when talking about capacity.  DANGER!  10 MILLION OHMS!  (I also love the sound of "Military Grade Encryption", but that's another topic...)

My high school physics teacher was merciless in deducting points for not correctly including the units on any numerical answer, and for not fully labeling each graph axis.  He also drilled us in the proper use of dimensional analysis, which really helped when calculating answers with a slide rule (hint:  there's no decimal point).  He taught us well.

Young'uns today can punch up the wrong answer to 15 significant places on their phone or pocket calculator with absolute confidence, and never understand what happened.

#8 NeoObserver

NeoObserver

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 19 September 2021 - 07:22 PM

Dana,

I use an Eagle 3S and have had no problems in two years, first with a marine AGM battery and now a LiFePO4 battery. It just works great. With the LiFePO4 battery I installed a Victron smart shunt (500A) to monitor the voltage and give accurate remaining hours of operation. It really makes using the battery a pleasure as the voltage and time remaining operational time is easily seen on the VictronConnect phone app. This is way better than using the built-in voltage monitor and estimate of remaining operational time on the Eagle3. The Eagle 4 may have a better monitoring system.

Hope this experience helps,

David

#9 HxPI

HxPI

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 21 September 2021 - 05:27 AM

I ran everything directly off a 100AH LiFePO4 battery and voltage drop would go below 12V, resulting in the occasional issue pop up with equipment. Decided to install buck converters in my battery box for each voltage output needed (12V, 13.8V, 19V) and that helped keep all equipment voltage inputs at rated levels. During heavy load or when battery has been discharged over time the voltage will drop below 12V, while the buck converters will keep the equipment operating at a stable voltage without issues. I think this is as good as it gets for a portable power solution.

Attached Thumbnails

• C8515023-B877-4EA9-99D4-F7103328000F.jpeg

Edited by HxPI, 21 September 2021 - 05:37 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics