•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Light

Moon Orion Reflector Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gearheadkinny

gearheadkinny

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:59 PM

Hello all,

I decided that I was too impatient to wait for my mount to arrive so with only my scope and a 3mm eyepiece I decided to try a few relatively easy targets to see.  Even though I had my scope propped up against the railing of my back porch sitting on a few couch cushions for elevation changes I was able to see the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn.  Even with these very shaky and constantly moving targets (beginners tip: couch cushions make an incredibly unstable base!) I was able to get an amazingly detailed view of some craters and mountains on the moon, the cloud bands and galilean moons of jupiter, and the amazing rings of saturn. My two boys (12 and 5) were loving the views as well. Even after one frustrating night (trying to hit a target other than the moon with this poorly rigged setup was challenging)  I am pretty sure I am already addicted.  I was able to even get a blurry picture of the terminator of the moon (cell phone held up to the eyepiece).  

First Light

Now I am anxiously awaiting for the rest of my setup to arrive in the next few weeks so I can really start the fun.  Thanks for listening to my excitement.

Adam

• weis14, Mikeiss, clearwaterdave and 10 others like this

#2 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Messenger

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:03 PM

Awesome! Welcome!

#3 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:09 PM

Hello Adam,  welcome.gif

You have not seen anything yet. The anticipation of things to come. The wait will be worth it and will delite you in more ways then you can imagine at the present.

WISHING YOU JOY, HAPPY SKIES AND MOST OF ALL KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 18 September 2021 - 10:10 PM.

#4 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:11 PM

Cool beans for you.  I remember propping my tripod in a snowbank to catch the double cluster with my first scope.,a Meade AZ 70.,I hope your kit arrives safe and soon.,

• weis14 likes this

#5 weis14

weis14

Viking 1

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:14 PM

That's great!  Welcome to the hobby and to CN!

Your story reminded me of a similar story told by one of the greatest amateur astronomers of the early 20th Century, Leslie Peltier, in his autobiography Starlight Nights.  He had just bought his first scope and it did not come with a mount, much to his disappointment!  Of course, that didn't stop him from seeing things that first night and eventually he built (it was the 1910s after all) a suitable mount.

Enjoy the journey.  The moon alone can provide a lifetime of wonder.  

• clearwaterdave likes this

#6 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Soyuz

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:16 PM

Awesome, congrats on diving right in for some lunar fun!
  • clearwaterdave likes this

#7 mac57

mac57

Viking 1

• Loc: DeLand of Oz, Florida

Posted 20 September 2021 - 05:48 PM

So cool to have the kids out there.  I sometimes have one or more of my granddaughters over for the night, and they love it.  Rock on, dude.  There's a lot of cool stuff out there.  Mark

#8 Zavijava

Zavijava

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 37N 122W

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:50 PM

And it's a nice shot of the Moon Maiden! The blur only helps to see her.

moon maiden.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Moon, Orion, Reflector, Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics