•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lightweight mount for Esprit 80?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:57 PM

Hi,

I have an Esprit 80mm and am looking for a very light weight mount for portable imaging. Wondering if the Skywatcher EQM35 Pro would handle it? I need something as light as possible as at pushing 70 yo and having a heart condition I need it to be as easy as possible to move and pack to transport. An HEQ5 is too much for me, hence looking at smaller mounts. If none of the smaller ones are suitable I will move the scope on...

TIA

Gary

Edited by Gary.McK, 19 September 2021 - 02:31 AM.

#2 daveco2

daveco2

Mariner 2

• Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:28 PM

Ioptron GEM28, 10 lbs head, 10 lbs tripod, 28 lbs payload.  ipolar and metal carry case available

Edited by daveco2, 19 September 2021 - 12:09 AM.

• scadvice likes this

#3 PKDfan

PKDfan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:56 AM

Hi Gary! I have had the EQM-35PRO for 2 years and has seen use fairy regular use, the last 5 months especially.
I am very pleased with its performance with my 4" F9 apo and I use heavy eyepieces think 20mm type 2 Nagler and I have never had one issue, ever.
Sets up quick and is accurate.

I'd think it'd be ideal for you and your needs and I must say I am even pleased with its stability with the legs raised halfways, and I'm picky, trying for sub arc second seeing on Jupiter, observing every clear night possible.

IOPTRON might be good too IDK.

Good luck!

Clear skies & Good seeing

#4 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:31 AM

Ioptron GEM28, 10 lbs head, 10 lbs tripod, 28 lbs payload.  ipolar and metal carry case available

Ioptron GEM28 the price of this in Australia is a bit too high to be an option, but it looks like a nice mount.

Gary

#5 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:34 AM

Hi Gary! I have had the EQM-35PRO for 2 years and has seen use fairy regular use, the last 5 months especially.
I am very pleased with its performance with my 4" F9 apo and I use heavy eyepieces think 20mm type 2 Nagler and I have never had one issue, ever.
Sets up quick and is accurate.

I'd think it'd be ideal for you and your needs and I must say I am even pleased with its stability with the legs raised halfways, and I'm picky, trying for sub arc second seeing on Jupiter, observing every clear night possible.

IOPTRON might be good too IDK.

Good luck!

Clear skies & Good seeing

Thats very encouraging as I would have thought that the mount would not be strong enough for an f9. Would you have any idea of the weight of your typical setup? The Esprit is a heavy little beast at around 8 and a bit pounds.

Gary

Edited by Gary.McK, 19 September 2021 - 02:35 AM.

#6 PKDfan

PKDfan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2021 - 04:01 AM

Hi Gary, my scope and finder,rings supposedly weighs in at 12+ lbs.
I have always wanted to weigh it on my 10KG digital scales so will post a weight tomorrow.
Its in my vehicle right now.

Since this is still a lightweight assembly care is taken to tighten down everything and have good balance, when I have achieved this tracking is absolutely dead quiet and a firm rap on the tube which funny enough I actually tested my last outing! It settled in a second or under and I could further optimize by hanging a weight off the tripod but I am satisfied for focusing at my usual 135×.
A light touch and it is very stable platform to achieve perfect focus.
Its not rock solid but rather granite stable!

Cs & Gs

#7 PKDfan

PKDfan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:55 AM

Hi Gary, its 11.9lbs for scope, rings, finderscope and 2" diag. add 2.25lbs for the Nagler its very capable at 14+lbs. My usual is at 12.5lbs with my Baaders. My high resolution weight with another 3/4lb for when Barlowed.

Hope that helps.

Cs & Gs

#8 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:37 PM

Hi Gary, its 11.9lbs for scope, rings, finderscope and 2" diag. add 2.25lbs for the Nagler its very capable at 14+lbs. My usual is at 12.5lbs with my Baaders. My high resolution weight with another 3/4lb for when Barlowed.

Hope that helps.

Cs & Gs

Thanks so much for this, my Esprit is about 8.5 pounds, so adding a camera etc should bring it to something similar to you in weight. May even be more stable as it is much shorter than your ED100.

cheers

Gary

• PKDfan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics