•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX200 ACF 14 inch no startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StevenPerry

StevenPerry

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:23 AM

With beautiful spring weather here now in Australia I thought I would clean the scope and observatory ready for viewing. Unfortunately when I turned the power on, the familiar red light turned on, but no response from the Austostar II handset except a red screen and rectangular bars gradually filling the screen and then nothing.  No Meade sign, no menu just the red screen and no response from the scope. 

Thinking the Autostar II handset might be kaput I bought a new one.  After a considerable wait as seems to be the case with Meade stuff at the moment I connected the new handset but get the same red screen.

Any suggestions, could it be the pcb under the front plate?

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:21 AM

#1 Check the power cable and power supply to make sure it's delivering enough voltage at the tip end that goes into the mount.  

#2  Check the hand control port and cable ends for bent/corroded contacts

#3  If you've got a computer cable hookup try to connect via the computer to control the telescope 

Over the years I've had to flash my GPS mount to fix onboard memory corruption  

• jaymcgil19 likes this

#3 johnt9432

johnt9432

Lift Off

• Loc: Tulsa area

Posted 20 September 2021 - 05:14 AM

In the mount control board is a small flat battery, I don't remember what size, but replace it and see what happens. When it goes out it will not communicate with the hand controller. 

Clear skies, John

#4 diceless

diceless

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:16 AM

The battery is a CR2025, but when it does go out it only affects GPS functionality and not the hand control.  At least that is my experience with inheriting a LX200 GPS.

edit: corrected battery size

Edited by diceless, 20 September 2021 - 12:00 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics