•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WO Z61 & flattener with Canon extender?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cloudyeverynight

cloudyeverynight

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NJ USA

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:56 AM

I will be using the z61 primarily for deep sky AP. I’m just a beginner at the very beginning of this journey… Anyway, I’m also using the WO 61A flattener and have taken my first few test shots. Everything looks pretty good so far. Now I’m just waiting for the next clear moonless night. Since the moon is almost full right now I was wondering what the best way might be to increase magnification for imaging the moon and planets for the time being. My camera is a Canon EOS R with a WO RF t-ring. Could it be as simple as just attaching one of the canon RF extenders between the t-ring and the camera? Just need some input before I pull the trigger on an extender. As an option, I might just rent one first…

Edited by cloudyeverynight, 19 September 2021 - 01:00 AM.

#2 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Apollo

Posted 19 September 2021 - 05:57 AM

Interesting idea.  Not sure why it would not work.  The extenders do cause a loss of F stop.  May not need the flattener with a extender.  Will follow this thread with interest.

Edited by dhkaiser, 19 September 2021 - 05:59 AM.

#3 cloudyeverynight

cloudyeverynight

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:32 AM

Interesting idea.  Not sure why it would not work.  The extenders do cause a loss of F stop.  May not need the flattener with a extender.  Will follow this thread with interest.

Yeah, I'm guessing my main issue would be where the focal plane ends up. The field flattener is adjustable though and currently have it set to the 12.9mm mark as per instructions on the Williams Optics website. Hopefully someone could shed some light.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:08 AM

I have no idea which would produce a better result:  inserting a designed-for-astronomy barlow lens in front of the camera (might require some mechanical fooling around with adapters), or inserting a designed-for-photography "extender" in front of the camera.  

I do suspect the former option, though it may require some adapters, would give you more flexibility in terms of focus points, etc.

But I also am awfully sure that neither option will be as sharp or as flat as the scope and flattener without any additional glass in front of the camera :)

Let us know how it turns out!

#5 cloudyeverynight

cloudyeverynight

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:09 PM

Well, I rented the extender for the day. Doesn’t work. Extender wants a lens attached so the camera spits out an error code (err 01) and locks up. Tried it with my Rebel Xsi and get the same result. I know some folks can bypass the problem by putting some tape over the contacts. Not what I’ll be doing. Don’t want little shards of tape accidentally dropping into the body… Glad I tried it. Only cost $15. Better than $599 !!

Edited by cloudyeverynight, 20 September 2021 - 02:09 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics