•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gain in ASCOM window and Gain in my Capture Software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dmelv

dmelv

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio USA

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:36 AM

I am not sure what these two places to set gain do to the final actual gain.  In the ASCOM window I may choose gain from 0 to 100 I believe 

(which makes no sense to me...... because a Zero gain implies no output....... at least in the engineering of amplififers in the EE design world) a gain of one means no added gain......input=output

Then in APT it changes the gain.... I choose 50   it changes it 100   even if I chose 50 in the light plan for the imaging exposure sequence.

How do these gain settings work together??   I.E. ASCOM gain setting and local APT gain settings.   Thanks for your responses in advance.

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:44 AM

To understand what gain means for your particular camera I suggest that you take a careful look at the manual for the camera. For some reason that I've never sussed out, the Chinese camera manufacturers use some kind of code for gain rather than the standard definition that's been around for a long time. You should be able to find a graph for your camera (all of mine have graphs) showing how the gain number relates to actual gain. 

I don't use APT but all of the software that I use for imaging works the same way. If I set it in the SKYX and/or MaximDL that overrides what I set before in the ASCOM settings. Otherwise, there's no reason to even have a gain setting in your imaging software.

Rgrds-Ross

#3 dmelv

dmelv

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio USA

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:49 PM

thanks Ross

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics