•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Volcano acting up at La Palma

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 19 September 2021 - 05:36 PM

LOS LLANOS DE ARIDANE, Spain (AP) — A volcano on Spain’s Atlantic Ocean island of La Palma erupted Sunday after a weeklong buildup of seismic activity, prompting authorities to speed up evacuations for 1,000 people as lava flows crept toward isolated mountain homes.

The Canary Islands Volcanology Institute reported the eruption near the southern end of the island, which saw its last eruption in 1971. Huge red plumes topped with black-and-white smoke shot out along the Cumbre Vieja volcanic ridge, which scientists had been closely watching following the accumulation of molten lava below the surface and days of small earthquakes.

A fissure has opened up on the Cumbre Viejo, which is in the southern portion of La Palma and my not be affecting the many observatories on La Palma. There are many important 'scopes located at this observatory. Stay tuned.

#2 Codbear

Codbear

Apollo

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:15 PM

I'm hoping that the fissure you're talking about is just an opening on the volcano's flank and not a widening of the flank of the whole eastern/southern side of the island.

If that collapses the entire Eastern Seaboard of the US will get hit with a mega tsunami.

#3 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:22 PM

https://en.as.com/en...096_343081.html

• BFaucett and LuscombeFlyer like this

#4 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 September 2021 - 07:11 PM

I'm hoping that the fissure you're talking about is just an opening on the volcano's flank and not a widening of the flank of the whole eastern/southern side of the island.

If that collapses the entire Eastern Seaboard of the US will get hit with a mega tsunami.

Did we see the same TV show about that mega tsunami about 15 years ago?

• therealdmt, Cpk133 and Codbear like this

#5 Leia

Leia

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2021 - 07:24 PM

May the US be safe(as well as the rest  of the world)! :)

#6 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:43 PM

Tsunami are very dangerous. I watched from the cliff above the Santa Cruz, CA harbor as the tsunami from the Tōhoku (Japanese) Mag 9.0 earthquake swept through the harbor.

Look up the tsunami in Spirit Lake, WA in 1980 - 883 feet 

Notes: A large landslide from the Mount St. Helens eruption caused an enormous tsunami in Spirit Lake.

Or, Lituya Bay, Alaska in 1958 - 1,720 feet 

Notes: An earthquake on the Fairweather fault caused 39 million cubic yards of rock and ice (a cube of land ~1,000 feet on each side) to fall into the ocean. The resulting 'splash' destroyed everything on shore up to 1,720 feet above sea level and sent a huge tsunami into the bay. This is the largest tsunami in history.

Another from a very frightening subduction zone known as Cascadia in 1700 - ~100 feet

Notes: The tsunami created during this event is recorded in the geologic record and in Native American oral history. The tsunami may be the inspiration for the battle of the Thunderbird and Whale. Japanese records precisely document the tsunami from this event because it also caused significant destruction along the coast of Japan.

https://www.dnr.wa.g...namis-worldwide

Lake and bay Tsunamis can be readily demonstrated in a bath tub. Keep dry towels handy to wipe up the mess. 

#7 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:24 PM

This is a shot from their last night or you can watch it live on YouTube TV Carnarias. 

https://youtu.be/IqdPDsSwQ7Q

I believe there are several private high end observatories in this area. Guess this is what can happen when you part yourself on a volcano. 

In 1964 there was a tsunami that affected a town on the island I live on. Much of the town was flooded but luckily it is located so far up an inlet that the water took awhile to get there so there was good warning. No one there died. Many elsewhere were not so lucky. The earthquake was close to Anchorage.

Bill

Edited by Bill Weir, 19 September 2021 - 11:25 PM.

#8 Codbear

Codbear

Apollo

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:18 AM

Did we see the same TV show about that mega tsunami about 15 years ago?

I think you're absolutely right! Didn't the show also cover the 1958 Alaskan landslide and huge tsunami in Lituya Bay as well the Washington tsunami in 1700 as evidence of how bad off the East Coast will be if La Palma landslide occurs?

#9 VeloBob

VeloBob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Summers in WA, winters in FL

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:25 PM

the most amazing thing about the Lituya Bay tsunami is that a grandfather and his grandson actually survived.  They were just in the process of anchoring their fishing boat when they heard the crash.  The bay is shaped like a T, and the landslide was on one of the cross arms, so the 1720' wave was on the end of the other cross arm.  The boat was on the leg of the T, but the wave was still high enough that the boat was carried over the tops of the trees on the mouth of the bay--possibly as much as 100' deep.  Once the wave hit the open ocean, it dissipated, and set the boat down gently.  Unfortunately, another couple of fishing boats that were already anchored at the mouth of the bay disappeared without a trace.

Bob

#10 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:03 PM

The entire eastern shore of the Big Island in Hawai'i is a shelf of solidified lava that protrudes outward from the flanks of the volcanos.

Examination of the floor of the ocean there shows this shelf has broken off before, carrying hundreds of cubic miles of ground down to the ocean bottom.

If that happens again, it will complete inundate all the cities on the west coast of the US and points south to the equator.

Not quite the disaster that the eruption of the Yellowstone caldera would be, but pretty significant.

It's a common occurrence of island volcanos, in geologic time.

Edited by Starman1, 20 September 2021 - 02:04 PM.

• Augustus and Ron-Fr like this

#11 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:33 PM

If I remember correctly, probably from the same show, there are at least 7 major landslides amongst the Hawai'i Archipelago.

It is best to remember, the Earth is the Earth and we, humans, are a very insignificant part of its future. We may play around modifiying the weather, but in the end, it will be the Earth that survives, not us.

Edited by MikiSJ, 20 September 2021 - 03:35 PM.

• dave253, Augustus and RubyCruxis like this

#12 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:56 PM

The previous mentioned TV Show on the Tsunami danger was one of the those entertainment-sensationalistic science shows. So I had doubts, and found a site, linked below, that comes up with reasons as to why a pan-Altantic Ocean tsunami is highly unlikely. In situations like this I go into it with a prejudice. I believe there is no way I can plow through real or imagined date and arguments and come up with something other than a semi-wild guess. A Google search found a lot of other sites "debunking" the concept.

I hat debunking. Mostly because a fair percent of the time people doing the debunking are just shilling for their "side."

https://en.as.com/en...096_343081.html

PS. I live in California. I felt a 4.3 mag earthquake on Friday. Just a little rolling motion.

Edited by Littlegreenman, 20 September 2021 - 10:03 PM.

• Cpk133 likes this

#13 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:39 PM

PS. I live in California. I felt a 4.3 mag earthquake on Friday. Just a little rolling motion.

I live in NorCal, about 7 miles from the center of the Loma Prieta quake in '89 - do damage.

As for a <4.3 not under my house, I usually look over at my Wife of Daughter and ask 'Did you feel that?' and for a <4.3 the answer is usually "No!' - 'Me neither'. Things around here get rocking at a >5.0.

We have been having some recent activity on the Hayward Fault, which is much scarier for The Bay Area than the San Andreas.

• Littlegreenman likes this

#14 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:02 PM

I spent most of my later career as a residential land developer, but Nauture is much better at increasing land masses:

Spanish Island Expands As Lava From Volcano Continues To Flow Into Ocean

canary.jpeg

Oh, and Hawai'i's Kilauea is acting up again.

Edited by MikiSJ, 30 September 2021 - 12:04 PM.

#15 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.78° N

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:33 PM

I thought this video might be of interest.

DrBecky-LaPalma.jpg

Volcanic ash is NOT GOOD for astronomy | La Palma

posted to YouTube on Sep 30, 2021

YouTube channel: Dr. Becky

I was supposed to be using a telescope at the observatory in La Palma, Canary Islands this week, but the volcano on the island had other ideas. Here's why volcanic ash is so damaging to both telescopes and the images taken with them.

Video link: https://www.youtube....h?v=UzzbVA5n8IU

Dr. Becky Smethurst is an astrophysicist at the University of Oxford. https://rebeccasmethurst.co.uk/

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

• dave253 and Augustus like this

#16 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 30 September 2021 - 10:28 PM

I'll be sure to keep my scopes indoors when Yellowstone blows....

#17 Xilman

Xilman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK & La Palma

Posted 03 October 2021 - 12:04 PM

I believe there are several private high end observatories in this area. Guess this is what can happen when you part yourself on a volcano. 

My place, www.astropalma.com is 3.1km due north of the eruption, and so safely off to one side. So far, anyway..  Don't know whether you regard that as high end. I am now in the UK but had a ringside seat right from the very start when it was just a loud noise and a small pillar of smoke.

Here is a before and after image of a high end observatory (0.5m and 0.8m telescopes) which was down hill of the eruption.

LP_obsy.jpg

Edited by Xilman, 03 October 2021 - 12:05 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics