•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

May have to keep what I have due to new pricing...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 MrJones

MrJones

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:23 PM

It’s the dealers too. They have less to sell and know they can get premium prices for what they have. Don’t expect Black Friday deals this year.
  • teashea likes this

#27 scoale

scoale

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:32 PM

Well, if a little higher pricing results in more supply, stability, and innovation, I could get behind it.  I purchased my first scopes (Meade ETX 90, then Meade LX90) circa 2002.  Nearly 20 years later I have just purchased a C11, a new mount, and some new eyepieces.  That is the limit of my experience so take it with a grain of salt when I say the pricing doesn't seem to have changed that much when adjusting for inflation.  I also note that, in my humble opinion, there has not been as much innovation from the big scope makers as I might have expected in a nearly 20 year period.  Lastly, I have learned of bankruptcies and acquisitions within the industry (Meade/Celestron), which doesn't suggest these companies are printing money.

Edited by scoale, 20 September 2021 - 10:33 PM.

• Lagrange, Castor and teashea like this

#28 Lucky 777

Lucky 777

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlisle PA USA

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:15 AM

Shipping costs are a major factor in the price increases we're seeing.  I won't divulge the source of this data, but it's for items that are comparable to telescopes and mounts in relationship to weight, volume, and fragility.  One of our lead buyers in China is saying that shipping cost has increased by about 300% from last year - China to LAX and this has greatly affected the LPO companies that rely on shipping. Just finding shipping containers themselves is virtually impossible - with most of them fully booked now 6 months out. One of the LPO companies that we work with, is now saying booking entire containers (40'x11.5'x8) that what use to cost them $1500 from China to LAX is now running $6500-$10000 due to the higher demand and container shortages.

• Castor likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics