•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M11 – Open Cluster in Scutum – LX90, Stock 600D

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:49 PM

Telescope: 8” LX80 @ f/6.3, LX90 mount, altaz mode
Camera: Stock Canon 600D, interval timer
Filter: GSO IR Blocking Filter
Guide scope: None
Exposure: 30x5sec, ISO 1600, saved as RAW
Darks: Internal (Long Exposure Noise Reduction On)
Flats: 32x1/20sec, Tee shirt flats taken at dusk
Average Light Pollution: Red zone, Bortle 8, fair transparency
Lensed Sky Quality Meter: 18.5
Stacking: Mean with a 1-sigma clip.
White Balance: Nebulosity Automatic
Software: Deep Sky Stacker, Nebulosity, Photoshop

M11 (9-8-2021)-1j.jpg

M11 is a bright and wonderfully rich open cluster just off the tail of Aquila. It is an easy binocular object that just gets keeps getting better in large telescopes. The cluster lies approximately 6000 light years away and contains an estimated 2900 stars in a volume of space about 20 light years across. The average distance between the stars in the cluster is about 1 light year, making this a very crowded neighborhood!

This is the first in a series of images that I will be taking to explore deepsky imaging using fairly basic equipment and techniques.

• RichA, petert913, chrysalis and 11 others like this

#2 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:01 PM

I really enjoy your images with the basic equipment, so thank you for posting them. I did the SharpCap EAA thing with M11 recently so your timing is perfect.

#3 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:45 AM

Nice image, very close to visual :waytogo: !

#4 EPinNC

EPinNC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:24 AM

Very nice image!  I like the wider view.  Open clusters seem to look more striking with a good amount of space around them.

#5 jerobe

jerobe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:04 PM

Nice image, very close to visual waytogo.gif !

A few years ago I started work on the Astronomical League Open Cluster observing program using star hopping only - no go-to.  I was having trouble making positive identification of many clusters because I couldn't find any astrophotos, either online or in print, to refer to that weren't 2 or 3 hour exposures.  And these didn't look anything like what I was seeing in the eyepiece.  So I agree with your comment about 'close to visual'!

• chrysalis likes this

#6 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:25 PM

One thing that I really enjoy about taking my own images is how having access to the unprocessed source images has helped my visual observing. These give me an excellent reference showing me was to look for and where to look.

Neat stuff.

• jerobe likes this

#7 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:40 AM

A few years ago I started work on the Astronomical League Open Cluster observing program using star hopping only - no go-to.  I was having trouble making positive identification of many clusters because I couldn't find any astrophotos, either online or in print, to refer to that weren't 2 or 3 hour exposures.  And these didn't look anything like what I was seeing in the eyepiece.  So I agree with your comment about 'close to visual'!

I had the same problem several years ago until I realized if I looked at sketch websites, I'd get a much closer representation of what I could expect to see ;) .

Worked out well!

• jerobe likes this

#8 jerobe

jerobe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:42 PM

I had the same problem several years ago until I realized if I looked at sketch websites, I'd get a much closer representation of what I could expect to see wink.gif .

Worked out well!

Good idea.  I'll give that a try.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics